login

Author Topic: Re: Vacations  (Read 9048 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3730
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Vacations
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 04:29:42 PM »
Speaking of vacations I need to take one at some point. Not sure where since it will be just me going on an extremely limited budget.
Cancun via Jet Blue ... just sayin 8)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
You could drive down to my house and cook and clean for me.    Sure, it does not SOUND relaxing, but steal beer from my beer fridge and give to my neighbor and he will let you use his massive pool.

Watch out for snakes fire ants.

spaceforarent

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
I leave for Cedar Point on Thursday. Instead of having a full vacation week off of my night job I'm only using up one, since they asked if I could work at all that week and I stupidly said yes (and lets not forget I'll also be working my second job every day as well). I'll be working until 4:30 in the morning on the day I leave. But at least that means I still have about 2 weeks of vacation time to take.

Really can't wait for this trip though. My friends and I had to skip our annual trip there last year since none of us could afford it at the time. Can't wait for the camping portion as well.

Might take a full week vacation the first week of October, visit my dad in Virginia Beach but first making a stop in NYC to visit my sister.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 07:05:58 AM »
Already have our dates set for my next trip to Mexico (Nov. 27, 2011 - Jan. 8, 2012) but friggin airline tickets have skyrocketed from $442 to $560 per person and show no signs of dropping
:angry:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 07:22:47 AM »
Already have our dates set for my next trip to Mexico (Nov. 27, 2011 - Jan. 8, 2012) but friggin airline tickets have skyrocketed from $442 to $560 per person and show no signs of dropping

Flights Thanksgiving weekend will always cost more.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 09:00:57 AM »

I scanned out several days - no change in price!
US Airways Sux Ass!! :angry:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »

Time to put everything in a u-Haul and get some trucker speed

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »

Time to put everything in a u-Haul and get some trucker speed
Still can't convince the wife to make another road trip anytime soon.. :-[

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4968
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
My vacation in London with my parents and sister was great.  Here's a brief play by play:

Day 1: landed and took the bus tour, though I was pretty jetlagged and the tour didn't seem to end.
Day 2: Had a mass at Westminster Abbey.  Surprisingly good sermon, even if it is all about the choir.  Spent most of the rest of the day on the Thames.  A  lot of fun, but the prescripted lines felt very Disneyworld riverboat ride.  I suppose that's charming in it's own way.  Ate dinner at a fancy French five star restaurant.
Day 3: More sightseeing: St. Paul's, the London Eye.  Also went to the "Movieum" a movie museum that is actually... not bad, but not good.  A lot of wasted potential.  There were two good exhibits: the Charlie Chaplin one (which looked good but we were in a hurry and I've never cared for Chaplin with the exception of Modern Times) and a phenomenal Ray Harryhausen exhibit.  The rest of it had lots of movie costumes and props, but it all lacked a sense of context or importance.
Day 4: Took a canal cruise.  I saw ducks and swans.  And lots of algae and houseboats.  Saw the Mousetrap, which was a great deal of fun.  In the evening we had dinner at Brink Lane, the red light district of curry shops.  I know we saw other things, but I don't remember what.
Day 5:  This was a big day.  Went to Hamley's Toy Store and Liberty Department Store, some of London's oldest stores and then had a great High Tea at the Ritz.  After Mom and my sister went shopping and My dad, my sister's boyfriend and I went to a really good Sci-Fi exhibit (which was sadly cut short) at the London Library which also allowed us to check out St. Pancras.  Then we went to the London Cartoon Museum, which was mostly good (the Dr. Who in Comics part was a bit dull, despite seeing early Dave Gibbons and Steve Dillon art, but the caricature/political cartoons section was great) and did some comic shopping, only to discover that on Saturday Alan Moore and Keven O'Neill were doing a signing for the newest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book.  Great... except the plan leaves at 10:50!  DAMMIT!
Day 6: Went to the London Market (I think it has another name, but it eludes me) and at Wild Boar sausages.  Then we went to the globe theatre to watch Anne Boleyn.  Great show.  We were let into the back way upstairs because of my Dad's MS and King James I held the door open for us.  Great guy.  Went back to the market and bought a chicken stuffed with boar.
Day 7:  We went to the Doctor Who experience.  The "experience" part itself was silly but a lot of fun but I really enjoyed the museum section, filled with classic alien costumes, two sets, all the doctor costumes and a bunch of other stuff.  Really cool, and it makes me wish I had caught up with the show.  Then we went to the Florence Nightengale Museum and went back to the SF exhibition to finish looking around.  Then we had one final dinner at a pub to just relax, talk and say goodbye.  A lovely trip.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
Thought I'd revive this thread, because I was wondering if anyone had any vacation plans coming up!

This is a quiet summer for us, at least with regards to traveling. We have usually taken at least a couple of road trips/long weekends by now, but saving for closing costs for the house has sucked up all of our money and I have to save my vacation time for moving, etc.

We usually go to North Carolina in the summer but our trip down south is being delayed this year. My youngest daughter will be going to Savannah College of Art & Design in Georgia and has to be there in September, so we are combining our NC trip with taking her to school. Should be interesting -- none of us has ever been to Savannah, or Georgia for that matter. New state, wooo!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Re: Vacations
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
We might do something for our 10th wedding anniversary next month. Not sure what yet since we're really broke.

MontyServo

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
Went to Vegas the week before Memorial Day to see UFC 146, which was awesome.

I hate the cross country flights to get there and back, but it is always fun while there.

I really would like to go to England next summer to see a music festival, that or start saving for an Australian trip. Which is somewhere I have always wanted to visit.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6792
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
my whole summer will be a dog river style staycation.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
Last Memorial Day weekend, I just hopped in the car all spur-of-the-moment like, and headed down to the L.A. area. I visited some relatives I hadn't seen in a while, and revisited some old hangouts. It was cool. I think I may try to take a week off this summer, and road trip up to the Bay Area to do the same thing. I'll have to see how work goes. Taking a whole week is only really practical if there's a lull; otherwise, I'd spend the entire vacation stressing about how much work was piling up in my absence.  :-\
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »

We usually go to North Carolina in the summer but our trip down south is being delayed this year. My youngest daughter will be going to Savannah College of Art & Design in Georgia and has to be there in September, so we are combining our NC trip with taking her to school. Should be interesting -- none of us has ever been to Savannah, or Georgia for that matter. New state, wooo!

Hope you like being raped in the ass!

Thanks, that's positive.
Bonhead #2
fs!!