Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 57282 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3451
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #555 on: November 12, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Leaves.  Endless leaves!

Makes me want to cut down all the stupid trees.    ;)
I'm about ready to call my Mexican landscaper friend to come blow them all to the street.. Maybe after Thanksgiving 8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2337
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #556 on: November 12, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
Leaves.  Endless leaves!

Makes me want to cut down all the stupid trees.    ;)
I'm about ready to call my Mexican landscaper friend to come blow them all to the street.. Maybe after Thanksgiving 8)

My yard being a narrow rectangle makes it impossible to blow them to the street.  Well, not impossible but it would take forever.  So I blow them into piles and rake the piles onto a tarp and drag the tarp to the street.  I've got a pile probably 20 feet by 10 feet and 4 feet high by the road now and several trees still have a lot of leaves still on them.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #557 on: November 15, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
 I had purchased a strip of LED lighting a while back that I was going to use in my apartment but never did, finally found a place to use it in my house, for the stairs that have no light above them:

And tonight I got an exercise bike and put it together, thought the display was DOA but opened it up and there was a connector half off, once plugged in properly it works fine.  Got to do something to make up for the exercise I was getting mowing the lawn, in the last month I've gained back the weight I lost the previous 2 months.  I had a lot of discover card cash back saved up so this only cost me $50.

Decided to get a bike that has programs, maybe that will get me to use it more, it works pretty nice, you set a program to go up and down hills and it changes the resistance as you go.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7849
« Reply #558 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:25 PM »
I had purchased a strip of LED lighting a while back that I was going to use in my apartment but never did, finally found a place to use it in my house, for the stairs that have no light above them:

This looks like a horror movie poster.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5313
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #559 on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »

I was thinking the same thing! That looks creepy as hell.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #560 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »

I was thinking the same thing! That looks creepy as hell.
Watch out for snakes  :-X

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #561 on: November 22, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »
The frame on this mirror was black with little areas of bare wood showing, I've been thinking about replacing it for months then thought about painting it.  Used my airbrush so it took 2 hours, but doing it that way retains all the crisp edges of the wood and there are no brush marks:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #562 on: December 08, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
Don't know why it took me almost a year to do this but I finally got around to installing an LED light over my kitchen sink.  Shorter version of the same light that I put over the cook-top back in January:

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #563 on: December 08, 2017, 11:02:17 PM »
That's pretty nice! :o
I should look into doing that as well..

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #564 on: December 09, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
That's pretty nice! :o
I should look into doing that as well..

I had to buy a wired in version in order to get a switch on the light itself, all the plug in ones I could find had those crappy wheel switches on the cord.  So I got a cheap grounded extension cord and used that, worked out better that way anyway because I could use a small hole in the cabinet to fish the cord through before connecting it inside the light fixture:

I was going to wire it into the fixture over the cook top but since this light is over the sink I wanted GFI protection, so plugging it into this power strip I mounted last winter does that:

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #565 on: December 09, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
Hey it works.  8)

My 12yr old CCTV surveillance DVR completely died on me this morning so I found a decent replacement on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7WQPP8/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_TE_item
But I will have to run a 50ft HDMI & USB cable from the bedroom closet where everything is wired to my desk monitor..
I planned on replacing the entire setup with something more state of the art but this will do for a while.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:53:01 PM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #566 on: December 09, 2017, 02:31:41 PM »
But I will have to run a 50ft HDMI & USB cable from the bedroom closet where everything is wired to my desk monitor..

I didn't know you could run HDMI that far?

I know you can't run USB that far, you have to get an extender, 2 boxes with cat5 Ethernet cable between them to get a usb port more than 10 feet.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #567 on: December 09, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »

I didn't know you could run HDMI that far?

I know you can't run USB that far, you have to get an extender, 2 boxes with cat5 Ethernet cable between them to get a usb port more than 10 feet.
Here's the HDMI: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-50-Foot-50FT-HDMI-1-4-Cable-For-4K-3D-PS3-XBOX-LCD-Plasma-HDTV-1-300-SOLD/391913911650?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

& USB cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Importer520-50-Foot-Premium-Active-USB-2-0-Extender-Repeater-Extension-Ca/222727373588?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
They seem to work based on the feedback..

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #568 on: December 09, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
Ah, that USB cable has the circuitry from boxes I mentioned built into the cable.  Must be new, last time I needed to run USB between rooms was several years ago and the boxes were the only way.

FYI, wallmart has it for a few dollars less.

Can't find any specs but I doubt that cable would support full power USB, so it would be for data transfer only.  When I was looking at the boxes only the ones that had an extra power supply plugged in on the far end would have full power to run things. 

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #569 on: December 09, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »
Ah, that USB cable has the circuitry from boxes I mentioned built into the cable.  Must be new, last time I needed to run USB between rooms was several years ago and the boxes were the only way.

FYI, wallmart has it for a few dollars less.

Can't find any specs but I doubt that cable would support full power USB, so it would be for data transfer only.  When I was looking at the boxes only the ones that had an extra power supply plugged in on the far end would have full power to run things.
OH?? Do you have a link to the Walmart one?
The USB will be for the mouse that works the DVR, nothing more.
My original DVR had a program where I could view my cameras on my computer monitor via the wired internet but these newer DVRs seem to only have software that works on your phone only, which is nice but I would like to have that option on my desktop..
So unless I reroute all my camera cables in the attic and drill new holes for them direct to my desk, it's just easier to run these cables from the closet to my desk