login

Author Topic: Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??  (Read 67152 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What Projects / Tasks do you have going on / to do??
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
Opened up my washer and dryer to see what shape they are in, dryer is in really good shape, added a little oil to the rollers and motor bearings, the gas solenoids and igniter look good, belt also looks good.

Washer has some drips inside after 2 loads, rusty drips, so the rear seal is leaking a little and rusting the bearing, will think about rebuilding that over the winter.  Or just get a new one since this model is prone to mildew unless you leave the door open to dry it out.

Between the 2 units there was only one remaining of the plastic thingies that go on the screws opposite the door hinges, so fired up FreeCAD and my 3D printer and made 3 replacements:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's pretty cool you can just 'print out' replacement parts like that :o

It does come in handy, those parts are probably available but it's more fun to print my own, and I've sometimes made parts for stuff you can't get replacements for, like a new clip for my cell phone belt holster when the only available replacement is to buy a new holster.

To replace the bearings and seals on the washer, and replace the rubber boot on the front that still has some stubborn mildew on it will run me around $150, and it will be a half day job it looks like from the videos I've watched.   Not sure it's worth it to spend that much money and time on a 10 year old washer.  But a new one like this one is $600, so maybe I will do the repair.  I like doing that kind of stuff anyway, just hope the bearings are not rusted in too badly.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7901
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
How do you know how to do all this shit?

I look at a washer and go, "It seems to be working...?"  or "There's 3 inches of water on my floor, something appears to be wrong."

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3821
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #527 on: October 05, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
I know nothing about those front end loading washers but I've fixed 2 different top loading washers by just trying to fix it my self, and fixed then rebuilt my dryer myself..
Watching YouTube videos helped a lot for me as well 8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #528 on: October 05, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »
How do you know how to do all this shit?

I look at a washer and go, "It seems to be working...?"  or "There's 3 inches of water on my floor, something appears to be wrong."

I grew up in a family that built their own houses, did all their own car maintenance, and some also did electronics repair.  So I learned it all from them while helping out as they built or fixed stuff.

The internet helps a lot these days, manuals and videos available so you know what to expect when considering a DIY repair.

Since I have no idea what condition the current bearings are in I just ordered a simple set with the bearings and the seals, and a new belt.  So only risking $50 if the old bearings are so rusted in the back of the washer tub will get damaged while taking them out.  If that project goes well I'll think about spending the $80 to replace the rubber boot that still has a slight mildew smell even after treating with bleach.  If it doesn't go well I'll be looking at new washers.

I know nothing about those front end loading washers but I've fixed 2 different top loading washers by just trying to fix it my self, and fixed then rebuilt my dryer myself..
Watching YouTube videos helped a lot for me as well 8)

The bearings are under way more stress in front loaders, I figured mine were going since it sounds like a jet engine when in the spin cycle, it's so loud you can't stand next to it without your ears hurting.

But without an agitator it's just a shaft with 2 bearings and a seal, but to get to it is way more complicated dealing with the rubber seals and boot that keep the water from going out the door.  Look up some videos on Maytag Neptune bearing replacement.

Dryers were new to me, never worked on them before, way more simple that I thought they were.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
Look up some videos on Maytag Neptune bearing replacement.
Wholly :speechless:
Yeah those look challenging!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #530 on: October 07, 2017, 03:08:31 PM »
About 3 hours of disassembly so far, most of that on the one bearing that is rusted in.  Having to resort to cutting it out with cutting disks, used all of mine up so have to go to Lowes and get more along with some grease and a new rotary wire brush.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #531 on: October 07, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »
That sounds like a huge PITA Marty.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #532 on: October 07, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
It is a PITA but it's an $800 repair if you have someone do it, new washer is $600.....

Got the bearing out and new ones in, but the aluminum in the rubber seal area was so corroded the new seal wasn't very tight, so it runs quiet now but still a little drip.  Should have put some silicone caulk in there when I noticed the seal wasn't super tight but I thought once things were bolted together the rubber would press out against the corroded spots.

If the seal is not good the bearings will start rusting again, next time I do it I'll put some caulk in there, or buy a new washer...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #533 on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Pictures, spoilered because many:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #534 on: October 07, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
Wow that looked like a job there :o

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #535 on: October 08, 2017, 03:24:30 AM »
Yeah, I personally lack the mental fitness and the energy to tackle such a huge project. Good job though Marty. :)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #536 on: October 08, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
Figured the best time to try and stop the leak was now, while all the grease is fresh and it would come apart easily.  So took it all apart again and put some silicone around the rubber seal.  Glad I did, looks like the seal got even more loose in there and was spinning a little.  Only took about a hour to do it, most of the 6 hours yesterday was spent on the bearings and cleaning.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 372
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #537 on: October 11, 2017, 05:13:24 AM »
My new printer arrived yesterday.  It included a USB cable, which was ridiculously short.....  So I ordered a new one off Newegg.

In the mean time, I printed out my first labelled DVD.  It was really cool and looked a lot like any DVD you'd buy from a real company.  Well, it didn't have that glossy look and texture, but I'll take it.  I took a picture but didn't get around to uploading it anywhere.

It's a neat system.  There's this removable plate thingie.  You set the DVD in there, and slightly insert the tray into some sort of auxilary tray.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7901
« Reply #538 on: October 12, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
Buy the glossy clearcoated ones, if you haven't. They hold the ink a lot better than the flat ones.

I used to love printing discs. Never have the time anymore.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 372
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #539 on: October 12, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »
Buy the glossy clearcoated ones, if you haven't. They hold the ink a lot better than the flat ones.

I used to love printing discs. Never have the time anymore.

I thought about it, but when I priced it out, those were almost triple the cost.  The smearing isn't really a problem.  The ink is drying quickly.

But now my DVD burner is having trouble trying to burn to the labelled disc.  Which is very confusing because it burnt to the first disc just fine.  But now I am trying to burn Godzilla, Death Promise, and Deady Instinct..... It hung at 2% and has been there for 45 minutes.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.