Author Topic: The Mars Volta  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Zealotlee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
The Mars Volta
« on: February 07, 2007, 11:50:17 AM »
I just got their first album recently, "Deloused in the Comatorium", and it's amazing.  Modren progressive rock at it's finest probably.  The lead singer has one hell of a voice, compared to most of the "whiny" or "generic-90's-rock-vocalist" voices out there today.  The guitar work is also pretty mind blowing.  Clearly a very talented band, you should check them out if you haven't.  And for those that have heard them, what are your thoughts?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: The Mars Volta
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:57:52 AM »
I also like Mars Volta, my brother in law is a big fan and burned me some cd's. Their pretty cool in my book.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:04:01 PM »
I've been interested in them. There's at least one of their newer releases available at my local Best Buy. Do you have any recommendations for first time buyers?

Offline Zealotlee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »
Definitely De-loused.  It should be avaliable at Best Buy, the album is only like 3 or 4 years old.  Of course, you could be a dirty boy and pirate it and then buy it if you like it.  Frances the Mute, their second album, is also very good.  I haven't heard their new one, so I don't have any input on that yet.

Offline Justin

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Did you know...?
Snowhead the Blue Reindeer gave me all the presents in the world.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:53:47 AM »
Damn... somebody beat me to the something awful links.

I have never heard a Mars Volta song but for some reason those SA reviews struck me as funny. It's probably because progressive rock has never been my cup of tea. I've always found bands like Yes and Dream Theater to be a tad pretentious with music that borders on masterbatory indulgence. Just because you are capable of making meandering eleven minute epics doesn't necessarily mean that you should. I'm really not trying to flame any fans out there... as there is a lot of music I listen to that is generally accepted as crap.