login

Author Topic: South Park  (Read 60315 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: South Park
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
If you need someone to let others in on bad news, Like your dying of cancer Clearly isaac is the one to ask.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 02:54:55 PM »
But in this case, the "humor" isn't 'dying' -- it never existed. Matt & Trey's brains on the other hand? Yeah, been dead for quite a while...
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 03:00:25 PM »

In this day and age of public apologies despite the first amendment and what not, I appreciate a show that 1) absolutely will not apologize and 2) attacks even more viciously if asked to apologize.

I love South Park's take on celebrities the most.  :D

I just wish Comedy Central had not caved with the whole "showing Muhammed" thing. That would have been a new milestone in free speech. I wonder if the uncensored version's in the DVD release...

I LOVE that that happened. How often do you get to show millions of people that your own bosses are a bunch of simpering, craven COWARDS, and get away with it scot free? Matt and Trey called Comedy Central on the carpet, and, like scientology before it, exposed how utterly ridiculous they were.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 03:06:01 PM »

Yeah. I've never known of any Buddists or Christians to threaten riots when poked fun at by that show, and yet Comedy Central loses its nerve with Muslims.

Didn't they limit how often they were repeating the Tom Cruise ep too, or am I not remembering right?

Allegedly
, Tom Cruise threatened Viacom (Comedy Central AND Paramount Pictures' parent corporation) with refusal to do press support for Mission Impossible III last spring if CC re-ran the "Trapped In The Closet" episode.

Allegedly.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »
Oh Tom Cruise.... Another victim of the scientology riffing was our dear Isaac Hayes(sp?). Didn't he leave the show because of the scientology ep?

Sucks
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 03:18:49 PM »
Oh Tom Cruise.... Another victim of the scientology riffing was our dear Isaac Hayes(sp?). Didn't he leave the show because of the scientology ep?

Sucks

Yeah, and check out what happened to John Travolta as a result of the scientology episode:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0427327/Ss/0427327/hs6.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Blonsky,%20Nicole

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3157
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »
Yup, and the response, "The Return of Chef," was a beautiful response to that mess. :^)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
I LOVE that that happened. How often do you get to show millions of people that your own bosses are a bunch of simpering, craven COWARDS, and get away with it scot free? Matt and Trey called Comedy Central on the carpet, and, like scientology before it, exposed how utterly ridiculous they were.

Comedy central exec are money grubbing bastards, they get away with it because they make them money, they are allowed to say ANYTHING as long as the money comes in.  

Allegedly, Tom Cruise threatened Viacom (Comedy Central AND Paramount Pictures' parent corporation) with refusal to do press support for Mission Impossible III last spring if CC re-ran the "Trapped In The Closet" episode.

so whats stopping them from rerunning it now?  That ship has sailed.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »

Sucks

No, he left because the show disrespected all religions he just picked to leave when they exposed his own.......Bwahahahahaha sorry hard to say with a straight face.

Which is why I said he was a hypocrite before.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 03:35:28 PM »
Yup, and the response, "The Return of Chef," was a beautiful response to that mess. :^)

I especially love how, at the very end, I could feel quite palpably Matt and Trey's sadness about losing someone they thought was a friend over something so stupid. The eulogy at Chef's funeral actually made me a bit misty.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »

Comedy central exec are money grubbing bastards, they get away with it because they make them money, they are allowed to say ANYTHING as long as the money comes in. 

Allegedly, Tom Cruise threatened Viacom (Comedy Central AND Paramount Pictures' parent corporation) with refusal to do press support for Mission Impossible III last spring if CC re-ran the "Trapped In The Closet" episode.

so whats stopping them from rerunning it now?  That ship has sailed.

They may have re-run it since then. I'm not sure.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2007, 03:38:03 PM »

I don't fault them for loving money (that's a GOOD thing); I fault them for being weasels.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »

so whats stopping them from rerunning it now?  That ship has sailed.

They're still rerunning it -- it was on last week. Nothing has stopped them. It's never been 'banned'. South Park fans take these things way out of hand, especially since it's such a crappy attempt to attack a crappy "religion." If it was any good, there would be something to complain about, but it's the same ol' South Park shit.

Frank Zappa gave the perfect satirization of the "Church" of Scientology many years ago:

"WELCOME TO THE FIRST CHURCH OF APPLIANTOLOGY! THE WHITE ZONE IS FOR LOADING AND UNLOADING!"

And a cheerful group of
Appliantologists dance
into the room wearing
aluminum foil lab smocks,
lock arms in a circle
around JOE, making sure
he pays in full, all the
while singing with L. RON
as he delivers his final
instructions...

South Park is just some more of the slime comin' out of yer TV set...

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks . . .
Don't touch that dial!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:50:50 PM by Isaac »

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2007, 03:52:15 PM »

They're still rerunning it -- it was on last week. Nothing has stopped them. It's never been 'banned'. South Park fans take these things way out of hand, especially since it's such a crappy attempt to attack a crappy "religion." If it was any good, there would be something to complain about, but it's the same ol' South Park shit.

South Park is just some more of the slime comin' out of yer TV set...

Wow. I don't think anyone said that episode was banned. For someone with such a hostile attitude, it helps to read the post carefully before posting an angry comment. I don't fault you for that, at least you put "religion" in quotes. I don't feel they necessarily "attacked" scientology but more or less mocked it, in the satirical way they always do. If that's not what you like, but fine. But nothing bothers me more than someone who just states their opinion without backing it up.

It was a crappy attempt at skewing scientology. Fine. But why? What about the way they handled Catholics, and Atheists, NAMBLA, or Paris Hilton? Personally I think the show is one of the few great satires left. Everything is sanitized for your protection (thanks Bill Maher!) these days, I enjoy the fact that they are out to offend YOU, and they don't care who gets pissed. Comedy Central does, of course... unfortunately...

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2007, 03:56:38 PM »
What about the way they handled Catholics, and Atheists, NAMBLA, or Paris Hilton?

Everything they 'handle', they handle crappily. It's satire by people who do not understand what the word 'satire' means.