login

Author Topic: Good anime  (Read 42691 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Good anime
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
So I've been getting back into The Slayers. I started with the first few seasons, which I haven't watched since I bought the last VHS of Slayers Try waaay back in the day. It holds up really well. The funny parts are funny, the characters are all wonderful, and the story is still compelling.

So now I'm nearly done with the 2 new seasons. It's like Slayers never left. It's great to hear the old cast reprising their roles (Except for Xelos, who is now voiced by Mike Sinterniklaas, AKA Dean Venture.) I reccomend it to anyone who used to be a fan.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 05:16:53 PM »
if any one wants to start on anime  The Slayers is the place to start
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
For anyone in need of a good laugh, the reviewer at SFDebris has done a review of the first two Evangelion reboot films.  Being reboots, and supposedly being accessible to newcomers, he did not do any of his usual research going in.  He enjoyed them well enough, but it's amusing to see his confusion about things (the reaction when Shinji is told to pilot the robot is amazing), also neat to see him pick up on some things (like religious symbolism being there for no reason except being foreign and cool).
http://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/evangelion1.asp

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 03:54:18 AM »
If you like comedies, this past season's winner was Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, a wacky, cute-girl-filled anime comedy version of H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

No, seriously. This is Nyarlathotep:

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
Rurouni Kenshin

I should like Trigun, because there's a lot to enjoy, but the spider and the butterfly can't both live. I still can't get over that.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
It's been a long time since I've been into an anime (I watched Major a few years ago, but it really became a slog in the last to seasons) but recently I found a new series to love... in a guilty pleasure kind of way.  As a comics fan and scholar I recently read the entire Jojo's Bizarre Adventure series (excluding the current one that began a year ago) and found it to live up to it's name.  Weird poses and costumes, characters and super-powers named after musicians, songs and albums (there are villains named Wang Chung, Cars, and Vanilla Ice and super-powers named Killer Queen, King Crimson, White Snake and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap) and convoluted super-powers.  I can never just say it's an out and out classic or great comic but I definitely get it's appeal and I get a kick out of reading it, for all it's faults.

Well, recently they finally started animating the first series in an attempt to adapt the entire saga. I knew I had to watch since I love the idea of animating classic anime that either had never been touched or had never had their stories completed (so many ran into filler and then just died before catching up with the comics).  So first they were adapting the original arc, which was essentially a Victorian melodrama that basically becomes Fist of the North Star with vampires (IE, ridiculous martial arts and lots of blood).  I watched the first episode and I'm very impressed.  First of all, it is so true to the original vision it's scary... and ridiculous.  Jojo has always been a silly comic, but the first arc was a little more serious.  Here, the animators were able to take the goofiness of it and rather than keep it out to try to make a stronger story, they were able to enhance it without changing anything.  This is how Jojo should be taken... as camp!  The first episode is essentially a ridiculous melodrama with a preposterously evil villain who, while having motives, just seems to go to absurd lengths to ruin our heroes life.  The animation is good but when there's a (melo)dramatic moment or action scene, it becomes eyepopping!

What's more, to honour the series love of music, the end theme is Yes' 1971 song Roundabout, which I don't think I've heard before, but is awesome, and the imagery for the end theme is great.  Can't wait to see what the opening theme looks and sounds like.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjpCV6ilJKw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rjpCV6ilJKw</a>

It's also got a perfectly campy and retro-sounding opening that I can't find on youtube but you can watch on low quality here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xucqnn_jojo-s-bizarre-adventure-2012-opening_tv

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
So, something that's been making the rounds recently is "Little Witch Academia".  The show is the result of Japan's "Young Animators Training Project " where contest winners get to work on a project along with an animation studio.  In this case they got to work with a newer studio, Trigger.  Trigger is made up of several former Gainax employees, and this short film was directed by Yoh Yoshinari, who did the mech designs for Gurren Lagann.  Basic story is a group of young witches go on a small adventure.  Because it's a single short film, and not a series, there is a lot of experimentation if animation styles and looks.  It certainly has more to the animation than your usual anime series.  It's quite a bit of fun, and has a lot of homages to western animation.

The studio has also put an official subbed copy up on youtube, so watch, guilt free!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RBlqxEIJ_Cg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RBlqxEIJ_Cg</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 05:30:13 AM »
I've been hearing VERY good things about a new thriller called Aku no Hana about a boy who seems normal, but is a creepy stalker and ends up getting blackmailed by a girl who may be even more disturbed than he is.

It certainly has a fascinating preview, even though it has no context, no characters and an atonal sound that barely qualifies as music.  I'll have to start this one in a bit, after I'm done what I'm watching now.  Maybe wait for a few more episodes to come out.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/agNACZm_J7U" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/agNACZm_J7U</a>

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »
Chuck of SFDebris just finished this 12 part review of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. 

http://sfdebris.com/videos/animation.asp

Speaks well for the series that someone with very little exposure to anime really, really loved this series. 

Especially given it's deceptive look.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:21:17 AM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »
Black Lagoon.

Just got the entire series on BD/DVD (the OVA comes out in August), and it's great.

MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE (if I haven't posted earlier somewhere in this thread) is "Darker Than Black" ... I am purely obsessed with that show. The entire first series is on Netflix instant still, I believe... so really, go watch it!

Series 2 was great, especially with the OVA bridging the two... yet it was very different than 1. And there IS a series 3 in Japan, and if you follow me on G+ or Facewebs I posted a link to a petition to get series 3 into the US (Funimation has done an AMAZING job so far with that show)

My second favourite (and the first I ever watched) is "Hell Girl" although I know a LOT of the American anime audience isn't fond of it at ALL, because it's a dark anthology drama without much action and a lot of procedural elements to it.  But it's big in Japan and has a lot of Japanese old culture elements mixed into it, and series 2 and 3 get more into the back story.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »
Black Lagoon.

Just got the entire series on BD/DVD (the OVA comes out in August), and it's great.

MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE (if I haven't posted earlier somewhere in this thread) is "Darker Than Black" ... I am purely obsessed with that show. The entire first series is on Netflix instant still, I believe... so really, go watch it!

Series 2 was great, especially with the OVA bridging the two... yet it was very different than 1. And there IS a series 3 in Japan, and if you follow me on G+ or Facewebs I posted a link to a petition to get series 3 into the US (Funimation has done an AMAZING job so far with that show)

My second favourite (and the first I ever watched) is "Hell Girl" although I know a LOT of the American anime audience isn't fond of it at ALL, because it's a dark anthology drama without much action and a lot of procedural elements to it.  But it's big in Japan and has a lot of Japanese old culture elements mixed into it, and series 2 and 3 get more into the back story.

Ooh, a 3rd season for Darker Than Black? Gonna have to look that up.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »
Black Lagoon.

It has yet to make its way anywhere accessible. Look for the petition and sign it!!

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/darker-than-black-season-3.html  <<<----there.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:21:26 PM by TheUnabeefer »
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
Black Lagoon.

It has yet to make its way anywhere accessible. Look for the petition and sign it!!

Found the petition and signed it, but as far as I can find, there isn't an actual season 3 yet. If there was, you could at least find a fan-subbed download somewhere (there'd definitely be enough demand for it), but I didn't see anything in my search other than a bunch of forum posts screaming for it.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
Found the petition and signed it, but as far as I can find, there isn't an actual season 3 yet. If there was, you could at least find a fan-subbed download somewhere (there'd definitely be enough demand for it), but I didn't see anything in my search other than a bunch of forum posts screaming for it.

Ahh drat. Well maybe they were just talking about where it would go in the commentary for a season 2 episode. I could swear someone mentioned season 3 on those somewhere...  And I've read updates from 2012 that production would probably get pushed to 2013 due to the director working on other anime.

And yeah, there is plenty of call for it. Even in the industry itself, I know after season 1 a lot of people on OTHER anime (English-speaking production end) would ask the voice-over actors when season 2 was coming...

If it's anything like how the last season's production worked, now that season 2 is out on blu and DVD, they'll hopefully get to work on it.

....any other shows recommended for a fanatic of Darker Than Black?!  I am currently (as in, it's playing as I type) watching Kaze no Stigma.  I've seen Ergo Proxy, and that was good.  I have Chaos-Head en queue and Death Note is being rented.  Any more like DtB that would be worth watching!???

Oh, and I've also seen RIN... I quite loved that one as well.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »
RIN was pretty nuts. Good, though. Elfen Lied is usually well received, but I wasn't really impressed. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is great, but no longer on Netflix. The original series is good, but the story is better in the newer version (closer to the manga, IIRC).