Author Topic: Generic e-Reader thread.  (Read 26770 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Generic e-Reader thread.
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
I have a nook. My question is, after hearing about "sideloading", how difficult is it to do and is it worth it? Thanks for any help :)

Sideloading is a fairly generic term, what is it you want to do?  Generally it refers to loading files or apps onto the device directly, bypassing the built in ways of doing it.  I don't have a Nook so don't know how easy it is on them but it's fairly easy to do on the Kindles.

If you are thinking of turning the Nook into a more generic tablet, that would be called "rooting".  It can be easy to do if the tools and instructions are already available, but risky, can end up turning your Nook into a brick...

Offline bigheadtodd82

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 33
  • Ich ben ein Berliner...
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »
And that's what I don't want to do. I would like to be able to get apps from the android store, it won't let you.
" height="110" class="bbc_img resized" style="cursor: pointer;

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »
I run into the same thing on the Kindle Fire, only official place to get apps is the Amazon app store.  To access the android store would require wiping out the Amazon software and turning it into a generic tablet.

But some apps are available outside the Android store, I got the Opera browser working on the Fire that way.  Downloaded the install file onto my PC, used dropbox to get the file onto the Fire, then ran the install file (that would be considered sideloading).  But for stuff only available on the Android store it's not simple, if you have another Android device it's sometimes possible.   I've read about people using their phone to download the install file from the store, then find a way to transfer it to the e-reader to sideload it.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
Amazon announced the new Kindles today.

Pretty sure they over reached with the Fire HDs, prices are too high, unless they really are as good as other android tablets out there I don't see the advantage.

I'll be looking for a display of that Kindle White in a store, that's the only one I might be interested in if it really is clearer and the "side LEDs into a diffuser" front lighting system really works.  If it had a 7" screen I'd get one for sure, since it's the same size as what I have now I'll wait to see it and read reviews, then decide if it's worth it.

Posted in a different thread a while ago, but I got a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday and I love it.  The LEDs are great and not too hard on the eyes.  I don't mind the touch screen.  It's nice and light.  It does exactly what I want it to, and the battery lasts quite a long time.  I highly recommend it.  People are complaining that the light doesn't turn all the way off, and it's true, it doesn't.  But if there's any sort of light on in the room, you can't tell it's on.  It's just a physiological desire to want it all the way off.  It's not hurting your eyes or draining the battery more, but that little voice in the back of your heard insists that it is.  But once you tell the voice to shut up it's a great little device.

People who don't like e-readers because they prefer the feeling of a book bug me in the same way that preachy vegetarians do.  Sure, an animal had to die for my meal, but meat requires less work for our body to digest, is more efficient, and allowed our brains to grow as large as they are.  Same as how some nostalgia had to die for my kindle, but it's a much more efficient way to read.  I don't have to worry about a reading light, I don't lose my place when I drop it, and I can carry thousands of books with me wherever I go.  Or shop for a new one from wherever.  And I can make the text really big so I don't throw up while reading in a bumpy car.  It's fine if you don't feel like ever using an e-reader, but don't give me that look when I say I use one.  That preachy vegetarian look....

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »
Prefer is fine, it's when people judge others for using an e-reader that I don't like.  It's quite a trivial pet peeve I have, but this is the internet where I can say whatever for little to no reason, so I thought I'd share.  But now that I've got it off my chest all I have left are nice warm feelings.  So I think this calls for a hug.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »
Honestly, who gives a shit what medium you read a book on so long as you are taking in the information? If I have to read a physical book, better give it the ability to instantly summon a sequel or similar book based on my particular tastes.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
I can't stop seeing the ereader when I'm using it, it distracts me from the content.

then obviously you've got severe psychological issues. this is a safe space; SHOW US ON THE DOLL WHERE THE COMPUTER TOUCHED YOU.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
I think it's more important to read the book and absorb the information than fret over the medium. Your complaints seem kind of superficial, to be honest.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
As if ebooks come that way. Please.

If you are talking about a amatuer scanned or pirated book: I don't have to read a wall of text in all caps with no spaces between words because I can convert it to whatever I want with this:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

And I prefer the white letters on black backround. I find it easier on the eyes.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
Calm down people, and I am pretty sure goflyblind was being sarcastic...

When I read most of the complaints in various forums about feel and smell, I also usually see a font or color complaint as well.  I think that's the real issue and the other complaints are just "add-ons".  When I get into a book everything else fades away and I don't even remember switching pages, the same thing happens to me while reading on the kindle.  I am sad that they have taken away the page turning buttons on the new kindles, having to swipe the screen does take you out of the book more than leaving your finger on a button and pressing it when you hit the bottom of the page.

I don't know how it is with the tablet apps but I know there are lots of hacks for adding different fonts to the regular kindles.

I still prefer the e-ink screen to the tablet screen for reading longer than an hour, except in a brightly lit room, then they are equal.  I've never tried reading out in sunlight with the tablet, but I have with the e-ink and it was fine.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
And I prefer the white letters on black backround. I find it easier on the eyes.

That gives me instant headache, for a back-lit screen I've tried lots of options and the best for me is black text on sepia background.

Well, maybe not "instant" but it doesn't take long.  ;D

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

That gives me instant headache, for a back-lit screen I've tried lots of options and the best for me is black text on sepia background.

Well, maybe not "instant" but it doesn't take long.  ;D

My main reading time is the hour and a half I allot prior to falling asleep. I find the stark white or even sepia backgrounds project too much light in a dark room (or under the covers if it's a scary book!). With the black backround, I find once the eyes adjust to the dark of the room, the white letters come out just right.

I swap it around when I'm in the tub.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 06:16:43 AM »
If you are used to reading physical books you're most likely going to prefer them to an e reader. So in general, the older you are the harder it is to feel comfortable with an e reader. That's my hypothesis. My fiancĂ© is only 23 but she read a lot as a kid and can't stand e readers.  While my dad never read a whole lot and thinks they are alright. Tons of exceptions to that I'm sure, but I think there's a correlation with nostalgia.

I never used to read much and I love my kindle paperwhite.  Its made me read exponentially more than I used to.  I like Imhrahils point that because he can't stop seeing the e reader it takes him out of the book, which is really the crux of the problem I'd say. Most of the little points I find myself feeling the exact opposite. I always know where I am in my kindle because the percentage is at the bottom. I even know how many minutes I have left in a chapter because that's at the bottom of the screen too. And I don't lose my place when I clumsily drop the book.  And while I agree that swiping is annoying, the kindle allows me to tap to turn a page, which feels fine. 

The kindle is a more efficient and convenient reading medium, but if I were to read my kindle and be unable to stop seeing the kindle, it'd be worthless. I wouldn't be absorbing the text. And that's the first argument against e readers that has made complete sense to me. What I hate are people who then take that information and say that e readers are the devil and you don't actually appreciate books like I do if you read them on an e reader and don't spend an hour finding it in a cold musty bookstore where even the rare employee that wants to help you can't because no one knows where anything is.

I always thought nostalgia alone was a stupid reason to hate e readers. But if they are distracting because of it, then I understand. I'm sure if someone spent a couple years only reading an e reader they'd change their mind. But is it worth it to do that?  I'd say probably not.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:26:41 AM by Variety of Cells »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
I'm sure if someone spent a couple years only reading an e reader they'd change their mind. But is it worth it to do that?  I'd say probably not.

The problem is hardcovers are going away.  I wanted to buy Alan Dean Foster's latest trilogy in hardcover, I got the first one but the next 2 only came out in paperback.

So I'd say it's something that people are going to need to learn and adjust to because it's the direction the industry is going. 

Screens will continue to improve, somehow they continue to improve e-ink, and organic LED screens are the next big thing for tablets.  Unfortunately there seems to be a trend in the wrong direction as far as ergonomics is concerned.   Thinner and lighter with more screen area might be great for phones but not for an e-reader.  A good leather cover solves the too thin issue but I still want some area around the screen for my fingers, the page turn buttons are not that big a deal but I do prefer them to the touch screen.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »
I still like being able to actually touch the pages of a book instead of having to hold the edges or balance it on my chest so I don't turn the pages.

That's the main reason I like the buttons better, I get way more accidental page turns with the touch screen vs. the physical buttons.