login

Author Topic: What are your favorite King novels? What are your favorite King stories?  (Read 5761 times)

Offline chinton

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: What are your favorite King novels? What are your favorite King stories?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 03:42:15 PM »
I liked Pet Sematary as well...

A lot of the crappy ones start out well...and then I get madder because with a great scene or two, you see that they are capable of doing a good job.

Needful Things was good and there was a definite point near the end where it turned into a bowl of stupid(served with Ranch).

Dreamcatched had an pretty good start...again, the director seemed to make a concious decision that everything after that point would be bad.

A lot of those movies should be flushed from the bowls they're floating in...especially The Langoliers.

I don't understand your post. You start out by talking about his books then you talk about movies based on his books? Which one are you talking about?

Offline shortstack

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • There's no coffee in Nilbog.It's the devil's drink
    • Nerd is the Word
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 03:49:12 PM »
Favourite books:

-The Gunslinger
-The Talisman
-Rose Madder (vastly underrated- I loved it)
-It
-Hearts in Atlantis (The movie sucked balls, by the way)

Favourite story:

-Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

SK movies that I think have any merit:

-Carrie
-Shawshank Redemption
-The Green Mile
-The Dead Zone
-Stand by Me (it was based on The Body)
possibly -Firestarter

That being said, they are ALL very riffable.  Though, if I had the choice of which one to riff, I would choose Quicksilver Highway, possibly because it was the most rediculous thing I'd ever seen.
"I have no sense of decency...that way my other senses are enhanced."

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 04:39:24 PM »
Christopher Lloyd's character on Quicksilver Highway is possibly one of the most painful things to ever be put on celluloid.  That being said, I enjoyed Quicksilver Highway when it first came on TV, altough I haven't seen it for years so it may not have stood the test of time.  I do remember Clive Barker's story on it about a revolution of people's hands were they started cutting themselves off of their attached arms, which I thought was pretty funny at the time.

Storm of the Century will always be one of my favorite King works done on film (even though it was never a book).  Silver Bullet and Graveyard Shift were always enjoyable to me.  Not good movies, but fun none-the-less.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »

Storm of the Century will always be one of my favorite King works done on film

2nd, love that miniseries, I also liked Kingdom Hospital a lot too

Offline Kiiml

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • This used to be the pacific ocean
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 10:14:46 AM »
I like some of the aliens and trans-dimensional stuff Stephen King has done, but there are several books and stories that I could've gladly gone my whole life without reading.

He's good at creating realistic characters, but at the same time, he includes a lot of unnecissary profanity and language. When reading his books, the sweeping tide of sexual content distracts and overwhelms the rest of the story. The one thing I do admire about Stephen King is the interesting and creatively designed aliens he comes up with.

favorites:

From a Buick 8:
probably my favorite out of all his books. It contains language, but miraculously, there are no references to explicit sexual content! The only profane thing I can remember in the book was one reference to the alien "tree leaves" melting into a semen-like substance. Other than that, he did a good job with the aliens and the human characters.

The Sun Dog:
I just really like the alien dog-monster from this story. Sadly, he couldn't help himself from making a masturbation reference.

Shawshank Redemption:
Okay, I admit it, I didn't read the story, but I loved the movie.

The Girl who loved Tom Gordon:
He was able to write a good story, and the worst he had was some language and several references to human waste. I loved the rest of the story, however.

Hated Stephen King works:

It:
kids having sex? No thanks. I don't think there's any excuse for some of the things he wrote in It.

Skeleton Crew:
Almost every story in that book pissed me off, and ultimately turned me off of Stephen King for good.

Apt pupil:
I hate that story with all my heart. It's Stephen King toying with all of his worst writing flaws.
Moses! Move the bike!

Offline chinton

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »
I like some of the aliens and trans-dimensional stuff Stephen King has done, but there are several books and stories that I could've gladly gone my whole life without reading.

He's good at creating realistic characters, but at the same time, he includes a lot of unnecissary profanity and language. When reading his books, the sweeping tide of sexual content distracts and overwhelms the rest of the story. The one thing I do admire about Stephen King is the interesting and creatively designed aliens he comes up with.

favorites:

From a Buick 8:
probably my favorite out of all his books. It contains language, but miraculously, there are no references to explicit sexual content! The only profane thing I can remember in the book was one reference to the alien "tree leaves" melting into a semen-like substance. Other than that, he did a good job with the aliens and the human characters.

The Sun Dog:
I just really like the alien dog-monster from this story. Sadly, he couldn't help himself from making a masturbation reference.

Shawshank Redemption:
Okay, I admit it, I didn't read the story, but I loved the movie.

The Girl who loved Tom Gordon:
He was able to write a good story, and the worst he had was some language and several references to human waste. I loved the rest of the story, however.

Hated Stephen King works:

It:
kids having sex? No thanks. I don't think there's any excuse for some of the things he wrote in It.

Skeleton Crew:
Almost every story in that book pissed me off, and ultimately turned me off of Stephen King for good.

Apt pupil:
I hate that story with all my heart. It's Stephen King toying with all of his worst writing flaws.

I have to disagree with Skeleton Crew. It has "The Mist" which is one of my favorite things by him.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 04:20:15 PM »
The Shining.

Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Grillslinger

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
    • Grillslinger's Creations
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »
I'm working on an SK tour on Google Earth. I'd love to hear some opinions. What should stay in what should go out...

You can download it HERE.

Let me know what you think! 

Thanks,
A.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 05:15:32 PM »
Stand By Me was a pretty good King movie, too.

Okay, favorite books by King:  IT, Eyes of the Dragon, The Long Walk.

All three of those were books that I just about couldn't put down once I started reading them.  I'd love to see them try and make The Long Walk into a movie. 

Offline homerjayla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Rich in heady goodness!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
Right now I'm reading the end of Misery. The book is way better than the movie. It's more creepy. Carrie the book was also better than the movie. The first Shining movie was better than the book.

Pet Sematary and The Green Mile both suck. Books and the movies. Also the TV movie The Shining sucked.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:23:16 PM by homerjayla »
Global warming, where?

Offline timechaser

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 12:09:10 PM »
I haven't read much King, but I do like the first half of The Stand. I saw the Langoliers movie and laughed my arse off.
He split Robin's arrow in twain!!

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »
I was a Dark Tower junkie, but I was let down by the conclusion of the story in the last few books.  My favorite books by him are Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand, and From a Buick 8.  I've read Eyes of the Dragon 3 or 4 times, and I NEVER re-read books.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Fire Maiden

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • I'm an Imp!!
I really like The Dark Tower series. I had no idea how he would end it, but by the time I got to the end of the last book, I could see how he got there. It was great. I like it because he includes fantasy, myth, scifi, and horror, all wrapped up in one looonnng series. But while I was reading them, I was there.

I like The Stand, 'Salems Lot, and a couple other of his older books whose names escape me at the moment. If you haven't read On Writing, I highly recommend it. It explains a lot about why some of his work sucked so horribly for a while.

Offline rexdart

• Disembaudio's Squadio
Slightly off topic...any one ever look in the back of Nightmares and Dreamscapes and read The Beggar and the Diamond.?

My favourite ST book is The Stand, followed by IT.  Christine kicks as well.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
the langoleres?