Author Topic: New Short Available - "More Dangerous Than Dynamite"!!!  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
New Short Available - "More Dangerous Than Dynamite"!!!
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/more-dangerous-than-dynamite

When the 1920's ended, America was left with a shortage of crazy fads.  Goldfish went un-swallowed.  Flagpoles went un-sat upon.  Charleston's went un-charlestoned. Dozens of dead bodies were pried out of a single phone booth. By and large people stopped messing around and got back to work.  It was horrible.

But amidst the ceasing of Roaring, one major trend still managed to sweep the nation: washing your clothes with gasoline!  Every housewife on Main St. could be found hitting up the local filling station, returning home with a reeking, volatile jug of gasoline, and submerging her delicates in it to get out those pesky grass stains.

Haven't heard of this trend?  That's because it never actually existed.  But that didn't stop the makers of More Dangerous Than Dynamite from pretending like it did in order to drive more business towards the dry cleaners that they presumably had a vested financial interest in.  But that only means that the stern lecturing tone of the short they created comes across as that much more hilariously histrionic. 

THRILL as the young mother dunks her bathrobe in diesel!  CHILL as her vigorous rubbing causes deadly static electricity sparks!  LAUGH as she runs around in mock agony as she is engulfed in terrible animation! Mike, Kevin and Bill pour up a big pan of gas, turn off all steam valves and start a-washin' in More Dangerous Than Dynamite!

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/more-dangerous-than-dynamite
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Moca Java

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
Re: New Short Available - "More Dangerous Than Dynamite"!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »
Can't get the sample to load, anyone else? ???

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »
Neither can I.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:56:14 PM »
So I guess washing your clothes in gasoline never actually happened?  I can't imagine anyone being that stupid.  Even if you set aside the safety hazards this short suggests, wouldn't gasoline potentially damage fabrics and soak in a smell that you can never get out?

spaceforarent

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »
So I guess washing your clothes in gasoline never actually happened?  I can't imagine anyone being that stupid.  Even if you set aside the safety hazards this short suggests, wouldn't gasoline potentially damage fabrics and soak in a smell that you can never get out?
It was an early dry cleaning method. According to wikipedia, at least.

Offline Random

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Contrary to the beliefs of our esteemed Riffers, gasoline makes a very effective dry cleaning agent. It most definately was in heavy use in households as a general cleaner a few decades ago. The short actually doesn't over-estimate the danger at all.

Gasoline works like any other dry cleaning agent, almost all of which are petroleum distilates. It disolves the oils (body oils mostly) that hold "dirt" or stains in place, or it may disolve the stain itself. When the garment is hung to dry, the gasoline quickly evaporates leaviing nothing behind.

However, there's a trick to it: you have to use FRESH gasoline. As gasoline is exposed to air, it oxidizes, creating compounds that don't evaporate as readily and producing that "gasoline" smell. Freshly made gasoline has no real odor. Kerosene also works well as a dry cleaning agent, but again it needs to be fresh. To remove a stain, simply apply a small amount and blot with a clean, colorless cloth.

Obviously, it's INSANELY dangerous to do this anywhere except outdoors, away from anything that can spark or flame.

Kids, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! Seriously, there are much safer dry cleaning or stain removing agents available at the supermarket.

Offline Gamera

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
    • VincentCalenzo.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:31:32 PM »
Great short! Crazy funny

Offline kingj2038

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:44:01 PM »
What? You guyses' mommas didn't wash clothes in gasoline and dry y'all in absestos when you were little?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:04:31 AM »
i never heard of using gasoline before, but wow!   

And even the "reputable" dry cleaning business had a major fire.   Drying cleaning a shirt should cost $1000 each.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
Gasoline at the time of the short (1930s) was used in dry cleaning. Some rather foolishly thought they could do this at home to what should've been not so surprising results.  Dry-cleaning today is doen with chemicals that are a bit less volitile.

For somereason I think the version this short they used before the Reefer Madness Rifftrax Live event "snapped" more.  There were some missing or different lines ("got anything more for us there sentence?", "also called "light bulbs" when talking about the "vapor proff lamps and the "and there's women!" riff when we're first introduced to our ignornat-of-explosive chemicals "pretty" housewife.)   Still a funny short and one when you watch it you just sort-of end-up slack-jawed at it wondering why people would ever do something stupid like wash clothes in gasoline.

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »
Can't get the sample to load, anyone else? ???
Neither can I.

Quicktime on my Mac can not seem to play it, but the VLC application could.  I used Handbrake to convert it to an mp4 file, and both Quicktime and iTunes had no trouble playing that.

The "it" being the High Quality (MPEG-2) version of the short.  The smaller iPod (mp4) version worked fine.  The MPEG-2 versions of other shorts have pretty much always worked fine for me.  I take those (which have a larger image than the iPod version), convert to mpeg4, and then add all the meta-data that I like to have when I add them to iTunes.  The result plays well and looks great when playing on an iPad.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »
And even the "reputable" dry cleaning business had a major fire.   

THEY KILLED VINCENT PRICE!
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!