Author Topic: Dr. Who anyone?  (Read 275284 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: Dr. Who anyone?
« Reply #2655 on: October 14, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
I really liked this episode. Not sure if I like the new format where they're just doing longer episodes now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Anyway I think I'd give that episode an 8/10. Better than the premiere I think. Looking forward to next week's episode "Rosa".

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2656 on: October 14, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »
Even better than the season premiere, which was pretty good in it's own right.

If they can maintain this level of quality, then we've got a great season to look forward to  :D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2657 on: October 16, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »

That was some good science fiction, and fun to watch.

So far the new longer episode format doesn't feel longer, but they also don't feel like there is any more substance to them, maybe that will change if we get some episodes with more going on.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 68
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2658 on: October 17, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
"The Ghost Monument"
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2659 on: October 17, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
I do have my doubts that "Rosa" will be nearly as poignant and as touching as "Vincent and the Doctor", but it could still be great. I don't really recall many... if any episodes that tackled social issues outright.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2660 on: October 21, 2018, 06:48:07 PM »
Okay, "Rosa" was outstanding. Not as great as "Vincent and the Doctor", but what is? Basically,

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #2661 on: October 21, 2018, 10:37:20 PM »
I liked it.  They rarely ever do old school historicals anymore, so I really feel like they're trying to bring some Classic Who vibes back into the show.

On a personal note, I'm from Montgomery, my hometown.  Anyone who lives there knows Rosa Parks and the Bus Boycott. Hell, I used to drive by Dexter Ave. Church all the time.  They handled it pretty well, and its wasn't the "Aliens did Civil Rights" that i thought it would be. 

One nit-pick, Montgomery's newspaper was in 1955, and still is : The Montgomery Advertiser, not the Montgomery Courier as its shows in the episode.

Other than that, solid 8.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2662 on: October 29, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
I did not like episode 4. The "bad guy" is so obviously Donald Trump that it kinda ruined it for me. And there's no question he's Trump. They went our of their way to make sure everyone got that.

Please keep your politics out my Sci-Fi show.

Also, something about giant spiders.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2663 on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »
Ha, a giant spider invasion!

I thought this is the first one to suffer from the longer episode time.  Really enjoyed the first 3/4 but then there were some scenes that were way too long, like several minutes of too much exposition coupled with the Doctor talking very fast made it a mountain of exposition that ground the episode to a halt. 

I do like the fact that they put in some real biology, there is a reason animals with exoskeletons and limited circulatory systems can only grow to a certain size, and they use it in the episode.

I agree the political aspect was stupid, the guy is basically a Trump clone that hates Trump and wants to be president in 2020, did they think that was funny?  It all could have been left out and just had him as your standard evil business person, the show has had plenty of them.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2664 on: October 29, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
I didn't think that was funny, but in the writer's defense I don't think it was meant to be. For me, it was an above average episode, 6/10.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #2665 on: October 30, 2018, 02:09:39 AM »
I did not like episode 4. The "bad guy" is so obviously Donald Trump that it kinda ruined it for me. And there's no question he's Trump. They went our of their way to make sure everyone got that.

Please keep your politics out my Sci-Fi show.

Also, something about giant spiders.

Sci-Fi is almost always political.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2666 on: October 30, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »
 Yeah, they have had the Thatheresk or Blairish people in government roles before, this one just seemed tacked on and added nothing to the story, in fact it distracted from it.  Didn't help that they picked an actor that looks like Alec Baldwin, so it felt like a parody of a parody.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2667 on: October 30, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »
I like Chris Noth a lot, when I was about 15 or 16 I started watched Law and Order all the time with my Dad and we loved the early seasons with Chris Noth. One of my problems when I see an actor from something I really enjoyed previously is disassociating his or her face from what they were acting in before. Even though the political...connections are impossible to ignore, they didn't hurt my opinion about the episode.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2668 on: November 12, 2018, 08:21:45 PM »
I thought this weeks episode was very good, maybe even better than the one where Rose went back to see her dad.

Last weeks show I should like more, the plot was interesting, the acting was great, special effects were awesome, it was a great "Jodie is so the doctor now" episode, it had a weird creature, all good stuff but something about it put me off.

I'm starting to think there's something about the writing by Chris Chibnall that I don't like, looking at the episode list so far the ones I liked the most had other writers or co-writers.  Small sample size so far so time will tell.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2669 on: November 12, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
When The Doctor was talking about "assassins" in "The Demons of Punjab" I thought for SURE that the subject of the Weeping Angels would come up. I mean after all, they are the "Lonely Assassins".