login

Author Topic: Dr. Who anyone?  (Read 230138 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 67
Re: Dr. Who anyone?
« Reply #2595 on: July 20, 2017, 09:15:47 PM »
I just caught up with the last couple episodes and really liked them a lot. I dunno why but I just lost interest in DW for a while there.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3757
« Reply #2596 on: July 26, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
Good news on the potential sexism at the BBC front (at least in this instance, other talent not so much yet).

Doctor Who's Jodie Whittaker Will Be Paid As Much As Her Male Predecessor

Earlier this week, the BBC came under fire when it revealed that its male TV personalities are paid substantially more than its female personalities across the board. So it's a bit of good publicity (and good business) that new Doctor Who star Jodie Whittaker will be paid the same as Peter Capaldi, her male predecessor in the role.

BBC Director-General Tony Hall told the Evening Standard that "there is parity for the same amount of work."

The exact figure Whittaker will be paid has not been publicly confirmed, but BBC's salary disclosure earlier this week shows that Capaldi was paid between 200,000 and 249,999 pounds in 2016/17 for playing the 12th Doctor on the long-running sci-fi series.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2597 on: July 31, 2017, 03:01:50 AM »
A nice little collected vid.  Cannot get this particular YouTube embed code to work here (previous necessary alterations didn't work for it).  So here's just a link to it.

The title is: 'Doctor Who Actors React to Female Doctor (+Jodie Whittaker)'.

https://youtu.be/zvCS4SYu6bs
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2598 on: August 02, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
BBC released a trailer for the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special 2017 on SDCC. The episode is titled "Twice Upon a Time".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNx9bzq1p4g

The CGI transition from Hartnell to Bradley is a little weird looking but other wise this looks interesting.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2599 on: August 21, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »
I really like the way Jodie Whittaker looks as the Doctor. I think she'll be fantastic.  ;D

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2600 on: November 09, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »
Well, the BBC has released a new promo pic of Jodie Whittaker's Doctor's outfit.

In case anyone considers this a spoiler, I've put it in the spoiler.  The pic is actually huge - if interested, right-click and select 'View Image'.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2601 on: November 09, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »
I think it's alright, but I can do without the suspenders. Reminds me a bit too much of Mork from Ork. I liked the outfit she wore in the teaser trailer for her reveal best. Oh, and i just got Season 9 part 2 and season 10 part 1 on DVD the other day so now I have seasons 2 to 10 of new Dr Who. So roughly 3/4 of one of my shelves is completely occupied by Doctor Who DVD's.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2602 on: November 09, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
Personally I think the suspenders and the rainbows are meant to be small call-backs to previous Doctors' wardrobes (suspenders [or 'braces' to the Brits :) ] for Matt Smith's Doctor; the rainbow(s) to be a slight parallel to the scarf of Tom Baker's Doctor).  I do kind-of agree with you: I kinda' preferred the intro ad's outfit - a bit more serious.

But I also think that with this outfit they wanted to give a clear distinction of this Doctor from others (and the less serious being a contrast to Capaldi's ultra-serious Doctor, just as Smith was a break from Tennant.

However, if Jodi's experience is like the others in recent years, the actor themself has a LARGE contribution to what they want THEIR Doctor to wear.  So this outfit may be fully (or largely) Jodi's choice for what a female Doctor would wear.  If so, then I think it is great, as it shows her determination to be 'the same, but clearly different'. ;D  [Yes, I realize this seems to be a contradiction with the first paragraph.  But it depends on the 'who chose it': I would not have chosen this outfit, but if Jodi did, then I wanna' see how she feels it 'describes' her Doctor.  Hopefully that statement is clear... been a long, rough, week, and not sure.]

Interestingly, though I would prefer the more sedate look from the reveal ad, this (thinking about it being Jodi's choice) actually has me a tad more excited to see where they take the Doctor from here.

On a different note, I do, actually, have some qualms about having three companions... the feel I get from that is "Whittaker, being female, won't be enough focus for the series, so we need more supporting characters."  I am hoping that is just my (over-?)sensitivity to so many sexist assholes over the years (that sensitivity possibly heightened by the effects I saw of such things on my clients back when I was working).  There, too, 'we shall see'.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2603 on: November 09, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »
A deep dive into the changes noticeable in the TARDIS in the picture, as its details have been rather substantially altered:

Doctor Who: Did you notice all the changes to Jodie Whittaker’s Tardis?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2604 on: November 09, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
Don't know why but that outfit makes me think of a mix of Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy.

As for the number of companions is concerned, didn't Peter Davison have 4 for a while?  Well, 3 real companions, Turlough didn't do a lot as far as I recall...  Baker had 3 for a long time.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2605 on: November 09, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
A deep dive into the changes noticeable in the TARDIS in the picture, as its details have been rather substantially altered:

Doctor Who: Did you notice all the changes to Jodie Whittaker’s Tardis?

I noticed a bunch of those, the color, handle positions and shapes, windows, missing emblem.  Not sure how I missed the sign switching to white text on black....

I wonder if there was a reason they changed the phone door hinges to the other side?  Hope it comes up in an episode.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2606 on: November 09, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »
Don't know why but that outfit makes me think of a mix of Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy.

As for the number of companions is concerned, didn't Peter Davison have 4 for a while?  Well, 3 real companions, Turlough didn't do a lot as far as I recall...  Baker had 3 for a long time.

Quite possible.  Since I've only watched since Eccleston (when story density per unit of time increased), I'm used to just the one focal one, with supplemental regulars like Rory and Nardole.

The two things I noticed off the bat with the new TARDIS design were the rounded top of the roof light (versus the 'cap' the prior one had) and the negative/black door sign.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:02:55 PM by LucasM »

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2607 on: November 10, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
Finished watching the animated Big Finish story "Shada" is anticipation for the upcoming animated release of the original unfinished version featuring Tom Baker.  It was an interesting story and I really liked seeing  Paul McGann team up with Romana and K-9.  Next up the animated version of the audio story "Death Comes to Time" featuring Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison