Author Topic: So what did everyone who saw Smokin' Aces think of it?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline BF

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • ourmanbrett.blogspot.com
    • Our Man Brett
So what did everyone who saw Smokin' Aces think of it?
« on: January 31, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »
Me and my best bud saw it last friday.

Honestly, it was a little better than I expected, mostly because I wasn't expecting much.

It functioned well as a non-stop action film, the sequences were certainly stylistic and the characters just annoying enough so that I wanted to see them all die. Except Ray Liota. I love him.

For me, the point where the movie got bogged down was when it tried to make something more of itself than it really was. Without spoiling, towards the end the movie busts out several pointless plot twists(one of which me and my friend saw coming 15 minutes into the movie) and tries to place itself as one of those "Bet you didn't see that comin'!" talkies. Really unnecessary.

Okay, I just have to spoil one thing for people who aren't planning to see the movie or don't care:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And nice used of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly OST when that happened too.

How's aboot you?
USA! USA! USA! ME! ME!

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: So what did everyone who saw Smokin' Aces think of it?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:25:13 PM »
I saw it over the weekend. I thought Piven gave a pretty good performance and Reynolds and Liotta were a decent buddy-cop duo. I'll agree that the action sequences were stylistic in the music video sense, but the editing was pretty scattershot. My god, I can't recall how many times they cut AWAY from impending action just to cut over to another almost identical location and then only to back to the original location after the shit hit the fan... It was all very discombobulating. I pretty much lost track of who was where and who was shooting at who.

The wheels really did come off at the end... but even with the poorly edited action scenes and a cringe-worthy final 10 minutes it was a decent enough action flick for a matinee showing.

Offline waffen

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »
I would agree that the ending killed the movie. Other than that a good shoot-em up.

Offline MarkAndrew

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »
The ending was poorly executed.  Pun intended.

Ryan Reynolds can act?  Who is this imposter and where is the real Ryan Reynolds?

Jeremy Piven can act strung out and coked up?  Who, well ok, that didn't surprise me.

It's not a deep picture, but it was violent, funny and had a topless Hard Body in it.  So I give it a C.