login

Author Topic: Pearl of the Orient, now in 'balut-free' flavor!  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 596
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
Re: Pearl of the Orient, now in 'balut-free' flavor!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
Didn't realize how behind I was. I just spent 9.90USD on shorts. MMMMMmmmmmm Retail Therapy iz goot.

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:40 PM »
Hey, Ronin Fox Trax already did this one as an iRiff.  Not saying they're doing anything illegal -- the first rule of iRiffs is, there is no such thing as 'dibs' -- but the poaching still feels a trifle declasse (dang, where's the accent mark on this thing?).

I'll probably pick this up, but the guys will have to bring their "A" game to top Ronin.  Not that this is at all inconceivable.

(There, did I do well enough complimenting them both?)
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
Hey, Ronin Fox Trax already did this one as an iRiff.  Not saying they're doing anything illegal -- the first rule of iRiffs is, there is no such thing as 'dibs' -- but the poaching still feels a trifle declasse (dang, where's the accent mark on this thing?).

I'll probably pick this up, but the guys will have to bring their "A" game to top Ronin.  Not that this is at all inconceivable.

(There, did I do well enough complimenting them both?)

I'd say well done.

I knew it was only a matter of time before something I riffed or planned to riff was tackled by Rifftrax, pretty curious what they came up with.  Might have to run to the store to buy a refreshing drink of highest quality and check this out. 
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 101
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »
I buy all Mike and Co shorts (eventually, I pick them up when a new feature comes out) but having bought and listened to Ronin's last year, I have to say it was a strong outing for him.  I think I'll listen to Ronin's again right before listening to Mike and Co's version to compare them.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »
Hmm.  Just started watching, and this isn't the same short I riffed.  It's also about the Philippines, and it has the same title, but this actually seems to be an attempt to examine Filipino life and culture, as opposed to the short I riffed which was mostly about sugary drinks.

Don't let that stop anyone from checking out both of course.   ;)

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:39:21 PM »
and once again I click modify on my iPhone only to slip and hit quote instead.  Oops

Anyway, loved the short, title confusion aside.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:18:12 PM by RoninFox »

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
hilarious bit with the cock fighting..

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:59 PM »
Okay, I saw the preview, and Ronin's right:  this Pearl of the Orient apparently has nothing to do with his Pearl of the Orient.  I might have postulated that both Ronin and Rifftrax used different parts of the same short, except Ronin would have recognized what he took out and Rifftrax kept in.

I'm left with a bizarre theory:  one company blatantly ripped off another company's Philippines travelogue short, going as far as attaching the exact same name, the same way Asylum Films (or whoever it is) gets their Transmorphers out on video just in time to catch people looking for Transformers.  The ripoff-ing company apparently doing so in order to indoctrinate viewers regarding a certain refreshing drink of highest quality.

It makes no sense ... except that every other possibility makes less sense.  What a world we live in.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE: