login

Author Topic: So what's the run time on this movie?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
So what's the run time on this movie?
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »
Because saying "don't use the director's cut" doesn't do a lot of good when the disc isn't labelled.  I would assume the copy I got from Netflix is the right one, but it seems to fall out of sync by the 5th sync line.

Mine has a run time of 2 hours and 30 minutes.  It doesn't say anything about a director's cut.  In fact, I can't see anything on Amazon about a directors cut being available.

Maybe Rifftrax should list the run times of the DVD on their product pages instead of using vague terms that describe a version.  I for one am getting REALLY sick of riffs that don't sync up.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: So what's the run time on this movie?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »
There are two cuts of the DVD - the standard edition, available on DVD and Blu-Ray and both with a listed runtime of 150 minutes and the Criterion version, with a runtime of 153 minutes. The Criterion edition is the director's cut and, to the best of my knowledge is not available for rental by Redbox or any online rental place. Only insane folks like myself who specifically went out looking for it should have a copy of it.

The Mp3 itself should be 99.9 MB and has a runtime of 2:25:37. And I had no issues with the timing on this one.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »
Sorry if I seemed a little combative in that last post.    I was a bit cranky from trouble with the reauthor and trouble at home.

I resynced all the sync lines manually, but that seems to have somehow knocked the movie audio out of sync with the video.  I'm starting to think that the issue is with my DVD, which had monumental trouble ripping.  It failed with DVD Decrypter and Rejig, and I had to resort to DVD Fab.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:17:05 AM »
I'd suspect the DVD as well. Decrypter got the video on mine without any issues.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
I'd suspect the DVD as well. Decrypter got the video on mine without any issues.

I thought it was our fault?

Thrifty, we don't do anything special with our riffs, and to create the samples we have to sync them up. Only a couple times have we run into issues with "special editions" that used branching or something similar, but 99% of the time, we have synced and tested. Which is why whenever someone says "this riff doesn't sync" we tend to look at them funny.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

I thought it was our fault?

Thrifty, we don't do anything special with our riffs, and to create the samples we have to sync them up. Only a couple times have we run into issues with "special editions" that used branching or something similar, but 99% of the time, we have synced and tested. Which is why whenever someone says "this riff doesn't sync" we tend to look at them funny.

Classy move.  I apologize for being curt, admit that I was probably wrong about the riff, and you still decide to get sarcastic and dismissive.  It must be nice to have a customer service job where you get to insult the customers openly.

It seems to me that every third movie you release has some dispute with editions.  Die Hard, Red Dawn, Poltergeist, Ghost Rider, just off the top of my head.  I recall Poltergeist being especially tricky.  I'm saying that maybe in place of or in addition to vague terms like "director's cut" or "extended edition", you provide the running time of the version you used when there are multiple cuts of the DVD out there.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
It must be nice to have a customer service job where you get to insult the customers openly.

No shit.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »
Sorry I didn't hop in here sooner. The TRT for the version I used to sync up is 151 minutes and is definitely one of the first runs - the WS is not anamorphic, or at least it wasn't when I played it on the PC.

More specifically:

And usually (including in this case) the "Buy The DVD" link to Amazon in the product is the proper version to use. I would definitely say that putting up the run time is a good idea - but sometimes the cuts are only off by seconds from one another, I've had different software determine the RT differently for the same movies, not to mention the various editions of the same cuts that can have odd slates that mess up the actual run-time listed. It would almost open us up to more conflict than there is now.

Edit: And while I'm snapping - bonus behind the scenes shot
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:46:52 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
The lack of anamorphic widescreen sucks for sure.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Mister Seven

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »
It must be nice to have a customer service job where you get to insult the customers openly.

No shit.

..and asking for handouts with his paypal tip cup, no less. Classy indeed.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
It seems to me that every third movie you release has some dispute with editions.  Die Hard, Red Dawn, Poltergeist, Ghost Rider, just off the top of my head.  I recall Poltergeist being especially tricky.  I'm saying that maybe in place of or in addition to vague terms like "director's cut" or "extended edition", you provide the running time of the version you used when there are multiple cuts of the DVD out there.

With Red Dawn and Poltergeist the run times were the same. So it wouldn't have mattered anyway. The issues weren't apparent until you tried to sync them. With Ghost Rider they said from the very beginning to not use the extended edition and that is exactly what that version is called.  Die Hard as far as I know the extended version is only on the "Five Star" set and you have to manually select it to play. So no matter what disc you had it was right.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »
The issue with Poltergeist was that it was written and recorded to an edition that is either rare or out of print - which we were unaware of. Only resolved when I went in and re-edited the riff from scratch. So yes, that one was particularly tricky...but I think that we're pretty explicit about which editions to get; and, as I said above, the run times are often so close that it would only add to the confusion. If you have an issue, or are concerned about having one, just ask in the announcement thread and I'm happy to help...I'll even post run times there, just not on the product page where more info would be just as likely to raise more questions.  Clutter is bad mmmkay.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:13:38 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »
The lack of anamorphic widescreen sucks for sure.

Now that I've watched the movie, I think it was the script that sucked.  Anamorphic widescreen wouldn't have helped.  Just MO...   ;)