Author Topic: Where are the ground breaking effects  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
Where are the ground breaking effects
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:24:03 PM »
What is with all the raves about "ground breaking effects"?  Did I miss them when I blinked once?  Because it seems that I have seen everything in Avatar been done before.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2609
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Where are the ground breaking effects
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:00:23 PM »
The sad fact is that the groundbreakedness is only really noticable in IMAX 3D. Now that the movie is being watched on tv screens it's losing everything that made it unique and special. Now it's just some movie with a bunch of CGI.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
The 3D was amazing, first time I'd seen a 3D movie that wasn't "in your face", it was there more to add depth and pull you into the screen instead of the screen coming out at you.  Not sure you could call it groundbreaking since anyone could have done that before if they wanted to.

The realism of the CGI was good, but I wouldn't call it groundbreaking.  Body movement and physics were also above average, running and jumping seemed realistic, but again not groundbreaking since motion capture has been around for a while.

The face motion capture might be the one groundbreaking thing in the movie, facial expressions on the CGI characters were better than anything else I had seen before.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
It just seemed like REALLY REALLY good CGI to me. And very good use of 3D. But that doesn't make it a good MOVIE. Just a shallow, but visually enterrtaining, bit of 500 million dollar fluff.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
Oh yea, the story was groundbreaking.  NOT.

You have to wonder what real effects people could have done with that much money.  Even though it was really well done CGI it still had a bit of that "plastic" look to it.  And occasional miscues in scale.   In the last few years there have been big advances in micro-robotics, the creature effects that could be done now could be so much better than CGI. 

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 628
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »
What is with all the raves about "ground breaking effects"?  Did I miss them when I blinked once?  Because it seems that I have seen everything in Avatar been done before.
Compare "Avatar" to Robert Zemeckis' mo-cap movies.  There.  Now you have your answer.

And dare I say Cameron has crossed the uncanny valley?  Perhaps the true special effect was that you didn't realize how awful it should look.  Like editing, it's better when it goes unnoticed than when it draws attention to itself.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:58:38 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
I agree.  I don't think the motion capture stuff was any more groundbreaking than Gollum.  As I watched it, I pretty much felt like I was watching a Pixar or Dreamworks movie.

I do admit that I never saw it in 3D, but I'm not much of a 3D fan.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
I agree.  I don't think the motion capture stuff was any more groundbreaking than Gollum.

Maybe not in the look of it.  But the actual hardware/head gear and interface that Cameron developed for this probably makes it all easier and quicker to film there on set with the rest of the actors....and ultimately cheaper from now on.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »
Oh yea, the story was groundbreaking.  NOT.

You have to wonder what real effects people could have done with that much money.  Even though it was really well done CGI it still had a bit of that "plastic" look to it.  And occasional miscues in scale.   In the last few years there have been big advances in micro-robotics, the creature effects that could be done now could be so much better than CGI. 
Drooool. Practical effects wizards nowadays with that kind of money behind them, oh man that would be awesome!

I said it before (I think on this forum) and I'll say it again: Give Rick Baker some decent money and carte blanche to direct a movie himself like Stan Winston did with Pumpkinhead and it would be awesome!