login

Author Topic: Hell's Kitchen  (Read 11178 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: Hell's Kitchen
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
Gee, that's sad.  I had known about Rachel Brown, and I conjectured it was suicide. She was really tight with (my favorite Hell's Kitchen contestant ever) Heather West, and that has got to totally suck for all her loved ones.  The bridge-jumping guy tho reminded me of this documentary I saw called "The Bridge".  That's actually helped me a lot to comprehend the people who make those decisions.  Most surprising is how many change their mind on the way down (according to accidental survivals).  I remember reading about how the brain has trouble comprehending that things in life change, so someone who is depressed can often times just not see that and make stupid, permanent decisions.

All that aside, I just watched the latest ep (Ep 3):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm... Chopped Champions, eh?  My situation is more like PSCD's.  I don't get Food Network, and without streaming, I'm SOL.  But I'd love to see Hell's Kitchen tone down their drama.  My suspicion for that (among many) I think is cuz, being in their 8th season, I'm sure they're running out of qualified top-notch contestants so they make up for it with bigger personalities.  I think the same thing may be going on with "Survivor" as well (after 20 seasons).  Speaking of which... I'mma go watch the latest ep right now!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:46:54 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »
For the first time, I am not enjoying this show...

(and considering we had to suffer through two seasons of fat-ass Robert, that's saying something)

Sabrina and that mouth is like the white noise they use to torture prisoners.  And she said in so many words that she has six months of previous experience?  Yet she's knocking other people?

Wow....I had a job holding up a sign in front of a restaurant for a few weekends to make some extra money....I think I'll put in my name as a contestant for next season!!!  I guess as long as I act like a ghetto ho wannabe I'm good to go?

Meanwhile, "Ramsay's Best Restaurant" had another episode...this time Chinese places.  Although, IMHO, it's kind of "too fancy for their own good Chinese places".   Again, Ramsay has to go a little "Kitchen Nightmares" in this show....even though these are supposed to be the best restaurants in the UK.  It's interesting.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
One last word on the subject...

(I'd started seeing these things before but I didn't want to say anything until it was confirmed)

Too Quick to Blame Gordon Ramsay for TV Chef's Suicide?

Fri., Oct. 1, 2010 6:01 AM PDT by Joal Ryan

So, who's out of line now?  Not Gordon Ramsay.

But wasn't it just days ago the suicide death of New Jersey chef Joseph Cerniglia was all but pinned on Ramsay's hotheaded Kitchen Nightmares persona?

Wasn't Exhibit A the fact that Cerniglia was on Kitchen Nightmares? Wasn't Exhibit B the double fact that Cerniglia was yelled at by Ramsay on Kitchen Nightmares?

And wasn't Top Chef judge Eric Ripert's expert tweet-imony the clincher? (Chided Ripert: Ramsay is "very wrong.")

Sure. It all made for an airtight indictment of Ramsay, not to mention reality TV.

Until, that is, the rest of the imperfect story

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
Currently watching the latest ep, and I just gotta confirm with someone else........ doesn't Nona look exactly like a female Chris Farley?

I think so anyway.

anais.jude

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
Currently watching the latest ep, and I just gotta confirm with someone else........ doesn't Nona look exactly like a female Chris Farley?

I think so anyway.

Holy Crap, she does!

And she is very annoying. I would ike her and Sabrina to get booted next

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2010, 08:28:52 PM »

I think so anyway.

Holy Crap, she does!

And she is very annoying. I would ike her and Sabrina to get booted next
I've wanted Sabrina to be gone since ep 1. She has the worst attitude of any contestant on any HK.  It's like she's a bratty, selfish 13-yr-old girl in a group of adults.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2010, 11:07:55 PM »
I've wanted Sabrina to be gone since ep 1. She has the worst attitude of any contestant on any HK.  It's like she's a bratty, selfish 13-yr-old girl in a group of adults.

I'm starting to think that Sabrina would have to take a dump on the plates served to Ramsay's family next week.....and even then, he might find some reason to send someone else home..

I'm not enjoying this show this season at all because I spend most of it wanting to reach into the screen, grab that [expletive deleted], pull her tongue out at the root and shove it up her ass.   Every word out of her mouth is something stupid or her pot/kettle/black shit (she rarely wins points in challenges but it's always someone else who "lost it for us") and it's like nails on a blackboard.  In fact, it's gotten so I'm not hearing much of what she says anymore since the minute she starts talking I'm telling her to shut the fuck up and "c u next time".

If Ms. Six-Months-Experience-And-I'm-Better-Than-Everyone makes it to a black jacket, I think I'm done.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2010, 11:28:14 PM »

I'm starting to think that Sabrina would have to take a dump on the plates served to Ramsay's family next week.....and even then, he might find some reason to send someone else home..

I'm not enjoying this show this season at all because I spend most of it wanting to reach into the screen, grab that [expletive deleted], pull her tongue out at the root and shove it up her ass.   Every word out of her mouth is something stupid or her pot/kettle/black shit (she rarely wins points in challenges but it's always someone else who "lost it for us") and it's like nails on a blackboard.  In fact, it's gotten so I'm not hearing much of what she says anymore since the minute she starts talking I'm telling her to shut the fuck up and "c u next time".

If Ms. Six-Months-Experience-And-I'm-Better-Than-Everyone makes it to a black jacket, I think I'm done.
Yeah, or at least a serious change of heart.  Man, what I'd pay to see her comeuppance.  I hope it's gooood, yknow?  Like Ramsay totally letting loose like no one else before.  In her defense, she's not the worst cook.  Melissa, Emily, and Boris are surprisingly inept.  Sabrina just sucks as a person.

Sadly, if you think this is bad, you should see "Survivor".  This girl Naonka(sp?) is the worst!  I'd rather have 5 Sabrinas than 1 Naonka.  The show's great when she's not on.  Unfortunately, she's the only thing dramatically interesting on her tribe so she gets a good amount of screentime. 

These shows better start kicking off these nutjobs early or learn from these "mistakes" and stop casting these Big Brother rejects!

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »
In her defense, she's not the worst cook.  Melissa, Emily, and Boris are surprisingly inept.  Sabrina just sucks as a person.

But I have to wonder if having to deal with Sabrina and all of her drama and her slacking off when Ramsay isn't around doesn't screw everybody else up.   Look at Trev - who isn't perfect but isn't bad either - who had to keep after her instead of concentrating on what he was doing.  If he'd messed up something while trying to get her to get her ass into gear, who would have gone home for it?  Ramsay mentioned that Emily looked like she was "zoned out" - maybe that was her defense to that constant irritant that is Sabrina.

And yeah...Boris is another one that makes me scratch my head.  But there's always been a "Boris" in every season....somebody that it seems that Ramsay thinks is better and will pull it together even when they're screwing up more than someone else who has left.

Sadly, if you think this is bad, you should see "Survivor".  This girl Naonka(sp?) is the worst!  I'd rather have 5 Sabrinas than 1 Naonka.  The show's great when she's not on.  Unfortunately, she's the only thing dramatically interesting on her tribe so she gets a good amount of screentime. 

These shows better start kicking off these nutjobs early or learn from these "mistakes" and stop casting these Big Brother rejects!

That's what I always felt set this show (and admittedly "Top Chef") apart from those other reality shows that I avoid like poison.  "Hell's Kitchen" didn't cast complete wastes of space who just wanted to be on TV. No one would go through this if that's all you wanted. And even if the editing got a bit creative to heighten the drama....

.....the basic competition still felt as real as things could be despite the people knowing that everything is being filmed.  This season with Raj the nutcase and now this other one, it all feels like a joke.  And worse, it's a joke on the contestants who are still there to compete.

anais.jude

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2010, 08:02:02 AM »
I just ignore Sabrina when she's talking, but what annoys me and that the Red Team will constantly try to get her booted off when there are (were) weaker cooks on the team! Emily and Melissa SHOULD have been sent home before Sabrina because they suck at cooking.

Also, I think keeping her around is a good test. LEt's face it, there is no way she will be in the final two, but, if a cook can handle her bad attitude and still come out on top, that shows true leadership. People have to deal with Assholes in their job, everyone does. I think Trev has a huge star now that he has worked with Sabrina and made her do prep work, something the other girls could never do. That shows real leadership on Trev's part.

Nona I can't stand because she thought Sabrina should be put up for elimination when Nona can't cook scallops. If you get booted from your station, you should be put for elimination. End of Story. Sabrina didn't get booted from Garnishes, she just had a hissy fit, and Trev's attitude toward her showed much more leadership potential than the rest fo the red team's.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
Nona I can't stand because she thought Sabrina should be put up for elimination when Nona can't cook scallops

If scallops are the criteria, then Rob and his "Bon Appetite" salad should be out of there, too.  How many sets of scallops did he ruin before he finally got them cooked correctly?  Four or five?  Sounds like luck more than skill.

And why is Boris still there?  Four out of four stations.....

Sabrina's has had more than hissy fits about her stations - starting with her first dinner service bring up the meat even though the rest of the stuff wasn't ready.  And I keep thinking about how the winner of this is also going to be some kind of promotions person for the wine company - you can see right now that she has zero people skills and you wouldn't want her in that position.  So, why keep her around except to aggravate everyone?

If you get booted from your station, you should be put for elimination. End of Story

When did Emily get booted?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2010, 05:32:59 PM »

I think so anyway.

Yeah, we had this discussion last week. Poor Nona.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »

The worst part: Naonka is a P.E. teacher! She has access to people's kids.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »

The worst part: Naonka is a P.E. teacher! She has access to people's kids.
My brain shuts down when I think of this.  I think it's some survival technique that's allowing me to fight an aneurysm or something.

anais.jude

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2010, 03:45:14 AM »

If you get booted from your station, you should be put for elimination. End of Story

When did Emily get booted?
[/quote]

Nona got booted from Scallops and Trev had to make them. And it's not that cooking scallops is the criteria,. I think the criteria should be based on that nights dinner service more than anything. And while Sabrina has a bad attitude, she hasn't done a bad job of cooking (although she did get saved by Melissa with the pork)

But again, keeping the worker with a bad attitude is a test for the other chefs