Author Topic: Hell's Kitchen  (Read 11151 times)

anais.jude

Hell's Kitchen
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:20:02 AM »
Yes, I like the show. Schadenfreude for me!

Anyway, there is this contestant on the show this season that moved to the US from Naples, Italy 13 years ago but still has this thick accent. He's basically the Tommy Wiseau of this show....which is awesome!  :D

"Oh Hai, Reality TV show"

Doctor Who?

Re: Hell's Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »
This and Kitchen Nightmares are the only reality TV I watch.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
Another Gordon Ramsay fan.....Kitchen Nightmares, Hell's Kitchen, Cookalong Live, US and UK versions.

That Pizza chef didn't make me think of Wiseau so much because he seems to have a much better command of the English language - even if his grip on reality is questionable.

Hell's Kitchen frustrates me sometimes. As much as I love watching Ramsay rip these donkeys apart when they mess up (couldn't fault the one girl for laughing at the way he insulted one of her teammates - it was funny), do they ever check the backgrounds of these contestants? They're passing themselves off as Executive Chefs and otherwise being in the business and then they come up with the "Who knew cooking a scallop was so hard?" crap.

And even if they do fake their way onto the show, haven't they watched previous seasons?  If I for some reason tried to get on there I'd be practicing cooking scallops, risotto and wellingtons day and night until the day I report....

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »
I loved watching the guy last season who said he was an expert on fish and then he burned or undercooked every single fish he was given to make :D

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »
I loved watching the guy last season who said he was an expert on fish and then he burned or undercooked every single fish he was given to make :D

Maybe he meant he was a vet and not a chef.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »

Maybe he meant he was a vet and not a chef.

You had to wonder as the season went on,it was insane.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »
You know how the one chef mistook crab for lobster....

The lobster was for the risotto.  What was the crab there for?  Or where they kind of laying a trap?

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
Yes, I like the show. Schadenfreude for me!

Anyway, there is this contestant on the show this season that moved to the US from Naples, Italy 13 years ago but still has this thick accent. He's basically the Tommy Wiseau of this show....which is awesome!  :D

"Oh Hai, Reality TV show"

"Oh hai Chef Ramsey.."

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
The lobster was for the risotto.  What was the crab there for?  Or where they kind of laying a trap?

I'm imagining some guy staring at the crab and the lobster for about a minute then panicking and diving out the window.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »

I'm imagining some guy staring at the crab and the lobster for about a minute then panicking and diving out the window.

He should have just used both and called it seafood risotto.

Yup, that is me, ice water In my veins.

anais.jude

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 08:41:32 PM »
I love how they studied the recipes, got to watch instructional videos on how to make the food and they STILL fucked up the risotto

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I love how they studied the recipes, got to watch instructional videos on how to make the food and they STILL fucked up the risotto

EXACTLY!!!

Imagine you're the "lucky" owner of the place one of these dickweeds work.  What a wonderful advertisement for your restaurant.  "Our kitchen is staffed with people who can't boil water even with written instructions....and even then maybe not."

I mean, I can understand a few screw ups here and there because of the pressure and not meeting Ramsay's standards (as opposed to what they're used to) but really....

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:59:58 PM »
New season!?  Yaaay!

I love Kitchen Nightmares.  I watch Hell's Kitchen as a substitute for KN... since I burned through every ep (no pun intended), both U.S. & U.K. versions in like a month.  Those 2 and Survivor are the only reality shows I watch.  But I suppose we all have our guilty pleasures.   ;D

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »
Only "reality" TV I watch is Ramsay (and the UK stuff is more real than the US, IMHO), "Deadliest Catch", "Top Chef Masters" and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" (which is only kind-of..)

I thought about checking out "Undercover Boss".....but I can't help but wonder how real that could be.  Could the people really not suspect something - "We're going to come to your place and film....and, oh btw, you're going to get a new employee during that exact same time that those cameras are going to follow obsessively.  Complete coincidence...."

MontyServo

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »
I would love to be a contestant on Hell's Kitchen, just give me a year to prepare.  :P

I have seen so much of the show that I would know what to expect straight away.  Like PSCD said earlier, learn how to cook a scallop, learn how to cook risotto, perfectly every time.

Also learn how to cook fish, and meat to order.

On the first episode, I was hoping that he would split the teams up after that first service.  Everybody sent upstairs would now be the red team, and everybody that stayed downstairs would be the blue team.  It would be a neat twist.

I really want to eat at one of Ramsey's restaurants.  I have eaten meals at 4 celebrity chef's restaurants (2 in Vegas and 2 in Orlando).  Emeril Lagasse's restaurants in Orlando (Emeril's Orlando) and Vegas (Delmonico Steakhouse), Wolfgang Puck's in Orlando, and Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill in Vegas.  Of them all I was least impressed by Emeril's in Orlando.  The best steak I have ever eaten was at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill.  It was a chipotle glazed Ribeye and it was awesome!  Next time I go back to Vegas I want to eat at Mesa Grill at least 3 times since there is so much on the menu I want to try.