login

Author Topic: The big thread of unsearchable questions  (Read 82098 times)

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: The big thread of unsearchable questions
« Reply #675 on: October 26, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »
The recent AVGN episode of Polybius reminded me of a TV show I saw once.  At least I think it was a TV show.  I'm fairly sure it was one of those Sci-fi or Horror anthology series like The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, The Scary Door, or The Outer Limits.  I saw this long ago, probably in the early 90s.  The plot was that there was this teenager who was obsessed with some popular arcade game.  Nobody could get past a certain level in this arcade game.  I think the game was some sort of Galaga-esque space shooter.  Eventually this kid broke into the arcade after it was closed and did manage to get past that level.  But after that, all the game characters broke out of the game and leaked into real life.  Then more stuff happened and by the end the kid was sucked into the video game.

Anyone have any clue what this show is?
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4466
« Reply #676 on: October 26, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
The recent AVGN episode of Polybius reminded me of a TV show I saw once.  At least I think it was a TV show.  I'm fairly sure it was one of those Sci-fi or Horror anthology series like The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, The Scary Door, or The Outer Limits.  I saw this long ago, probably in the early 90s.  The plot was that there was this teenager who was obsessed with some popular arcade game.  Nobody could get past a certain level in this arcade game.  I think the game was some sort of Galaga-esque space shooter.  Eventually this kid broke into the arcade after it was closed and did manage to get past that level.  But after that, all the game characters broke out of the game and leaked into real life.  Then more stuff happened and by the end the kid was sucked into the video game.

There was a similar episode to what you were searching for on Are You Afraid of the Dark?, only it involved a pinball table.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #677 on: October 26, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
Looking at some lists of movies with video games in them it sounds like: NIGHTMARES (1983)

Horror anthology movie, 4 stories and one fits that description.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #678 on: October 26, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »

There was a similar episode to what you were searching for on Are You Afraid of the Dark?, only it involved a pinball table.

I'm familiar with that episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.  I had a strong feeling someone would mention that.  Although you're right, it's definitely not what I was thinking of.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #679 on: October 26, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »
Looking at some lists of movies with video games in them it sounds like: NIGHTMARES (1983)

Horror anthology movie, 4 stories and one fits that description.

Just looked that up on IMDB and that definitely sounds right.  The user reviews bolster my confidence, where the one reviewer quotes the film saying "There IS a level 13. I heard some kid out in Jersey got it twice.". 

I will have to seek out a copy of it when I get home, although I don't think it will be easy.

Thanks Gromit!

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #680 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
Well I found a copy on Youtube, but it's one of those stupid videos where they reduce the actual content to a little rectangle 2/3 the size of the actual viewing window.  Hopefully I can find a torrent with better quality.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #681 on: November 24, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »
I would like to find an old humor article that I remember from a long time ago. I think it was in the Saturday Evening Post, probably twenty years ago or more. It was about a husband who's wife liked to hang her plants all over the house. But because she was shorter then him, she would hang them too high for her to hit but right at his head level. It was a very funny, all about him hitting his head on plants all over the house until his head "was the shape of a hubbard squash".

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #682 on: November 24, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
I would like to find an old humor article that I remember from a long time ago. I think it was in the Saturday Evening Post, probably twenty years ago or more. It was about a husband who's wife liked to hang her plants all over the house. But because she was shorter then him, she would hang them too high for her to hit but right at his head level. It was a very funny, all about him hitting his head on plants all over the house until his head "was the shape of a hubbard squash".

That happened to me at my wife's old apartment.  Her roommate screwed these branches into the ceiling, which was cool for all the 5'4" people that lived there, but I'm 6'4" with long hair that kept getting caught.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #683 on: November 24, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »

That happened to me at my wife's old apartment.  Her roommate screwed these branches into the ceiling, which was cool for all the 5'4" people that lived there, but I'm 6'4" with long hair that kept getting caught.
I'm in a similar situation. My Dad is several inches shorter than both me and my brother. He would always have things hanging down from the ceiling in his woodshop that were all dusty and cobwebby, that I would brush my head against. He always thought it was funny when I complained.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #684 on: April 14, 2018, 07:19:01 AM »
On set the actresses performed The Lonely Goatherd a whole bunch of times for a scene so it’s stuck in my head. But what is also stuck in my head is “Up in the hills there’s a chewy cheese dog.”  But I can’t remember what the hell it’s from. I know it’s some movie or tv show I’ve seen a bunch of times as a kid. Feels kind of like Rocko’s Modern Life, but I’m not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #685 on: August 27, 2019, 07:46:19 AM »
I've been trying to find out about an audio book I remember having as a kid. It was a record with a picture book to it. It was a horror story about going into a scary woods with creatures and living trees. I remember it creeping me out a lot when I was a kid, so of course I would listen to it a lot. The woods were either called The Dire Woods or The Briar Woods, I can't remember which. I remember that it had a very familiar, freindly sounding narrator. Which made the creepy stuff all the creepier. I think the narrator might have been Fred MacMurray (most famous for The Absent Minded Professor).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #686 on: August 27, 2019, 08:51:13 AM »
Frank Luther was the king of children's records, search out one of his recordings to see if that is the voice you remember.  I have one of his 78s from the 30s but all of his hundreds of kids stories were put on vinyl eventually and reissued many times.