Author Topic: If you can read this, you know it's available...  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 596
If you can read this, you know it's available...
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/reading-who-needs-it

Reading.  Like it or not, (and as a people, we've cast a resounding vote for 'not'), it's something most of us have to do every day.  Whether it's selectively combing news stories for the portions of them you agree with, figuring out what your $1.14 in change can buy you from the Wendy's drive-thru window, or trying to decipher the unspeakable, misspelled profanity left on the youtube video of your infant son laughing, reading is a part of our daily lives.  But more and more often, people are starting to ask themselves Reading: Who Needs It?  Granted, most of these people are biased against reading having just finished reading a Dan Brown novel, but it's still a question worth debating.

Reading: Who Needs It? The Short attempts to address Reading: Who Needs It? The Question.  We witness the daily lives of three illiterate High School students.  The short intends to cast these kids in a negative light, but truly the achievement of progressing into your junior year of High School while all the while A) being illiterate and B) somehow keeping that a secret from everyone is quite remarkable in itself.  We are told that these students are just three of "hundreds" of illiterate students in this high school.  It is clear that this high school must be located in [insert part of the country you do not think highly of.] 

Will the illiterate actress learn to read in time to snag a role in the big school musical?  Will the mechanic put down the socket wrench and pick up the books?  Will the burgeoning basketball star continue doing things exactly as he was before, while still making more money for one game than most families earn in a year?  Tune in to Reading: Who Needs It? with Mike, Kevin and Bill to find out!

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/reading-who-needs-it

This is another long one (18:25) so instead of splitting it we're doing the $1.99 thing. That's also why there's a lengthier sample.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:50:57 AM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: If you can read this, you know it's available...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
Uh... I'z can't reed dis ???

But I does no dat dis right heuh finishes up my Volume 10 Shorts DVD :highfive:

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »
Awesome! I really like the longer shorts being 1.99USD versus cutting the shorts in two.

Click. Click. Click. Buy.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1270
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
I like that they're not being split in two any more.

I glued Tommy Tucker, What It Means to be an American, American Thrift and Call It Free into one short.  Trimmed a little off the end of part one and the beginning of part two to make the transition more seamless.

Would you guys (the officials at Rifftrax) be interested in using these for some sort of future distribution?  I'd like to share the one part versions I made with the other fans, but of course I can't because that would be piracy.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »
I like that they're not being split in two any more.

I glued Tommy Tucker, What It Means to be an American, American Thrift and Call It Free into one short.  Trimmed a little off the end of part one and the beginning of part two to make the transition more seamless.

Would you guys (the officials at Rifftrax) be interested in using these for some sort of future distribution?  I'd like to share the one part versions I made with the other fans, but of course I can't because that would be piracy.

Thanks Thrifty, but we're good on those...when we release future compilation DVD's all 2 parters will be present as a single short, so we have them already - just a matter of time before they get out there.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
Why does Michael Jackson look so confused?

We are told that these students are just three of "hundreds" of illiterate students in this high school. It is clear that this high school must be located in [insert part of the country you do not think highly of.] 

[Newburgh Free Academy, Newburgh, NY] I can tell you there were more than just three illiterates in my graduating class, and only a couple of them got sports scholarships. NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »
The ducking seems a bit off on this one (mpeg2 file), too much source audio over the riffs, had to remix the audio myself to hear all the jokes clearly. 

Guess Rifftrax really will hire anyone. ::).. hehehehehe  ;D

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:40:20 PM »
The ducking seems a bit off on this one (mpeg2 file), too much source audio over the riffs, had to remix the audio myself to hear all the jokes clearly. 

I'll check it out in the morning. I did the merge a week or so ago but I remember that the source audio was kind of weird and that I had to find a happy medium between the two. Luckily I have some open time tomorrow where I can do a bit more precision sweetening than I usually am able to do.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »

I'll check it out in the morning. I did the merge a week or so ago but I remember that the source audio was kind of weird and that I had to find a happy medium between the two. Luckily I have some open time tomorrow where I can do a bit more precision sweetening than I usually am able to do.

Yea, the source is not real consistent, I did some leveling to it before doing the auto-ducking and then mixing.  Even then if you use enough ducking to hear the riffs over the loud parts of the source it pretty much reduces the more quiet parts of the source to zero, I'd rather hear the guys clearly throughout so I left mine that way.

Offline jas722

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »

Is the new file going to be released today?

I bought the short and downloaded it last night but will hold off for the improved version if that's coming soon.  :)

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 326
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »
"So not only can't he write or read, he apparently forgot that he couldn't do either."

Seriously, has this guy ever applied for a job before?

And the girl, she does realize that plays have scripts right? Was she expecting to just make up her own lines for the part?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »
"So not only can't he write or read, he apparently forgot that he couldn't do either."

Seriously, has this guy ever applied for a job before?

And the girl, she does realize that plays have scripts right? Was she expecting to just make up her own lines for the part?

I guess they felt they couldn't do all kids that thought they could play pro sports and not need to read, but yea, auditioning for a play knowing she couldn't read a script was stupid. 

I was also wondering how someone could be good at fixing cars without reading, but I guess you could follow the diagrams in the car manuals and he seemed to be able to read a little (he was able to read the questions on the application).   

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »

Is the new file going to be released today?

I bought the short and downloaded it last night but will hold off for the improved version if that's coming soon.  :)

New files are going up right now. Something came up yesterday so I couldn't do close detail sweetening, but I did raise the riff volume - which, you're right Marty, was a bit low in the original mix.

Offline MST3Kgirl

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
there wasn't a favorite lines thread so I'm gonna put mine here:

I loved the Charlie Brown whistle when he was walking down the sidewalk
"not a professional actor"
"I ain't afraid of no ghost"