login

Author Topic: The classic Doctor Who thread.  (Read 8180 times)

Doctor Who?

The classic Doctor Who thread.
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
This is not a thread for bashing the new show this is just a thread for talking about the old show if you want to.

I watched Mark of the Rani last night and I was surprised,it was better then I remembered it being.  Sure it still had plot holes you could drive a truck through but I think it was the best directed of Colin's stories.  Being on location really did help.  Colin's coat works when it is in the real world,and the Rani does make an interesting villain because she is not out to hurt any one or take over the universe,what makes her villain is that she just doesn't care.  I find that to be interesting because in many ways she fits in with the TimeLords and yet I guess she must have carried it to an extreme they were not willing to sanction.  Pip and Jane Baker get a lot of flack and while it is true that they could not write dialog they really should get credit for creating an interesting villain.

I give this story 6.5/10.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Re: The classic Doctor Who thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
Perhaps we could continue that Time Warrior discussion I started.  What, exactly, is so exceptional about The Time Warrior?  It seems rather average to me.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »
Well I for one find it to be one of Holmes' most humor filled scripts.  It's the fist story to go back in time since The Highlanders. Pertwee is at his best(I mean it he may do his best job ever in this story),and i like the idea of a villain  that is messing with history not because he has any goals,just because he can. it's a fun twist.  Also I have always liked the Sontarans so I guess it has that for it.  You get Unit,Sarah Jane,The middle ages,the Sontarans,and Holmes' script all in one.  If you like all those things I think this is bound to be one of your favorite stories,if not  can see how you would not like it but I still think uoi are crazy :P

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
I suppose I'll give it another watch sometime.  I'll pay more attention to the dialogue when I do - perhaps I forgot this was a Robert Holmes story while I was watching it (not literally, mind you - I just didn't look for the things that make a Holmes story a Holmes story).  I mean, the dialogue alone elevates The Ribos Operation to the level of greatness.  Also, I do seem to recall I was in kind of a bad mood the day I watched it.

As for the Sontarans...well, I suppose I like the idea of them, but I've never really cared so much for what I've seen of them onscreen.  They've never been in a bad story, though, which is more than I can say for the Daleks and Cybermen.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:41:34 PM by BBQ Platypus »

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:59:23 AM »
The last one I watched was Inferno, which I watched about a week ago.  A very good story - as far as alternate universe stories go, it's even a cut above the ones in Star Trek (and I love mirror universe episodes in Star Trek).  It really could only be a Third Doctor story - alt universe stories only work when you have established characters to compare them to, which was really most pronounced during his time.  As is, the differences between the characters in the different universes are brilliantly conceived and make perfect sense.  The Brigadier, loyal and stiff-lipped servant of the Crown, becomes a loyal, goose-stepping Fascist as the Brigade Leader.  Benton makes a similar transition, and...well, let's just say Liz Shaw is a LOT hotter when she's evil.  The one-off characters are noticeably different, too - Sutton, for instance, comes off as a huge dick in the regular universe, while in the alternate universe he becomes a brave and independent-minded voice of reason who's willing to speak up when no one else will (which incidentally, made me feel a lot fonder of the "regular" him when Episode Seven rolled around).

There are a couple of nits I can pick - the nature of the ooze-based creatures isn't exactly explained well, and while there does seem to be a motive for their actions (they want the Earth to be hot), it really isn't all that clearly explained.  But that really isn't the strength of the story.  What makes it a good story is how well the alternate universe is handled.

9.6 out of 10, sez I.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:06:05 AM by BBQ Platypus »

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
The last one I watched was Inferno, which I watched about a week ago.  A very good story - as far as alternate universe stories go, it's even a cut above the ones in Star Trek (and I love mirror universe episodes in Star Trek).  It really could only be a Third Doctor story - alt universe stories only work when you have established characters to compare them to, which was really most pronounced during his time.  As is, the differences between the characters in the different universes are brilliantly conceived and make perfect sense.  The Brigadier, loyal and stiff-lipped servant of the Crown, becomes a loyal, goose-stepping Fascist as the Brigade Leader.  Benton makes a similar transition, and...well, let's just say Liz Shaw is a LOT hotter when she's evil.  The one-off characters are noticeably different, too - Sutton, for instance, comes off as a bit of a dick in the regular universe, while in the alternate universe he becomes a brave and independent-minded voice of reason who's willing to speak up when no one else will (which incidentally, made me feel a lot fonder of the "regular" him when Episode Seven rolled around).

There are a couple of nits I can pick - the nature of the ooze-based creatures isn't exactly explained well, and while there does seem to be a motive for their actions (they want the Earth to be hot), it really isn't all that clearly explained.  But that really isn't the strength of the story.  What makes it a good story is how well the alternate universe is handled.

9.6 out of 10, sez I.

That is my favorite Doctor Who story ever.  The version that played for years on PBS had a cut scene in it that is not on the Dvd because it was cut,Joh Pertwee is a news reader on the radio in it and is talking about the disaster.  I really find the end of episode six to be one of the most chilling things i have ever seen.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:08 AM »
The last one I watched was Inferno, which I watched about a week ago.  A very good story - as far as alternate universe stories go, it's even a cut above the ones in Star Trek (and I love mirror universe episodes in Star Trek).  It really could only be a Third Doctor story - alt universe stories only work when you have established characters to compare them to, which was really most pronounced during his time.  As is, the differences between the characters in the different universes are brilliantly conceived and make perfect sense.  The Brigadier, loyal and stiff-lipped servant of the Crown, becomes a loyal, goose-stepping Fascist as the Brigade Leader.  Benton makes a similar transition, and...well, let's just say Liz Shaw is a LOT hotter when she's evil.  The one-off characters are noticeably different, too - Sutton, for instance, comes off as a bit of a dick in the regular universe, while in the alternate universe he becomes a brave and independent-minded voice of reason who's willing to speak up when no one else will (which incidentally, made me feel a lot fonder of the "regular" him when Episode Seven rolled around).

9.6 out of 10, sez I.

That is my favorite Doctor Who story ever.  The version that played for years on PBS had a cut scene in it that is not on the Dvd because it was cut,Joh Pertwee is a news reader on the radio in it and is talking about the disaster.  I really find the end of episode six to be one of the most chilling things i have ever seen.

Oh, yeah - it's more horrifying the more you think about it.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
Yeah i mean first you think about the whole world just blowing up and then you have spent so much time in the alternate universe you really do care about all the characters and to see them all die in such a painfull way is just so chilling.  It really raises the stakes for episode seven.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 06:53:37 AM »
The Roman was the last story I watched.

The fact that Barbra's near rape is play for laughs is kind of unsettling,but other then that it's a great story.  It shows that Doctor Who can do comedy.  Hartnell is in top form,he really seems to take to this story and he gives it everything he has.  The Doctor,Ian,Vicki,and Barbra really were one of the all time great casts on any Tv.  It's only their second story and already they are like a well oiled mechine.

9.0/10.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »
Got my E Space box set in the mail today,I haven't seen any of these stories in a long time so I am looking forward to it! ;D

I also got in The curse of Peleadon but that is a Mother's day gift so I will have to wait until Sunday to watch it.

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
Watching and enjoying the new series is getting me in the mood to re-watch some classic Who.  The problem I have is that I have about thirty old VHS tapes that I taped off of PBS over twenty years ago. They seem to play okay but I only have a VCR built into my bedroom TV and I hardly ever watch TV in there.  About a year ago I watched three or four Peter Davison stories.  I watched half of Frontios and then never got back to it.  I remember the first time I watched it I was intrigued by the Tardis blowing up but for the life of me I couldn't remember how it was fixed. I did remember that I didn't like the story that much.  When I tried watching it again I still didn't like it, thus my only watching half and never getting back to it.  I still am curious to see how they put the tardis back together again, so maybe I'll pop it in again this weekend.  I find I'm more in the mood for Tom Baker or Pertwee right now, however. I've been thinking of watching Image of the Fendahl.  It's the first complete story I ever saw and I haven't seen it in close to twenty years.  Of course, that's true with a lot of them.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
I used to have ever story taped off of PBS on VHS.  Somehow I lost most of them when I moved 9 years ago.  The bright side is that as I collect the DvDs(By the way they are worth the money they are packed with extras and has the best restoration I have ever seen for anything)a lot of the stories are nearly new to me again! ;D

I would say rent some off of Netflix.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 06:00:25 PM »
I love the DVDs, but I wish there were an option to watch the stories as a "movie" without the intro/outros.  THe way PBS always did it.
I wish my PBS channel would do something like that sometime. I mean they must have at some point (I know from the kids at the camp that they must have shown Red Dwarf at least until the late '90s as well) but they've never done that since I've been living here.

It's all Spooks and Daniel O'Donnel

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »
I love the DVDs, but I wish there were an option to watch the stories as a "movie" without the intro/outros.  THe way PBS always did it.

Meanwhile, if you're a fan of the BF audios (and if you aren't, you should be), you might be excited by this:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/Fourth-Doctor-Rumour-Control

Eh.  I did that with The Curse of Fenric.  I actually found myself missing them, good as the story was.  The classic series works better (IMO) in 25-minute blocks.  Besides, it's an excuse to hear the theme song more.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »
Just finished watching Ghost Light.  I watched it once, then I went back and watched it again because of how incredibly dense and often confusing it is.  It didn't, however, stop me from enjoying it.  Of course, I've always had a soft spot for the really weird stories.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 06:55:54 PM by BBQ Platypus »