login

Author Topic: Family Guy -Episode 150  (Read 2905 times)

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
Re: Family Guy -Episode 150
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 06:22:38 AM »
I actually agree with what Monty said, but I'll admit that I hate Family Guy so much the only reason I came into this thread was to see if anyone else was hating on it.  LMFAO  And they were, and it made me happy in my happy place.  So even though I agree with Monty completely, Family Guy dragged out my hypocrisy.  LOL
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »
Family Guy goes beyond just being a bad show.  It is a bad show made bad almost intentionally by the utter lazieness of its writing staff.  Between the mountains of merchandise, the bizarre way of splitting the DVD sets into, basically, half seasons sold for full season price, and selling specials (the two Star Wars specials and the "movie") as separate DVDs, it's HUGELY apparent the staff behind this show has no interest in providing quality entertainment.  They just churn out mindless, effortless pablum to rake in the cash.  Also for constant political posturing.

For a reason I cannot remember, I tuned in a few months ago to watch an episode in which the show came to a dead stop for five full minutes to insert a Conway Twitty music video.  That's a "fuck you" to the viewers if I ever saw one.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:47 AM »
I used to be a fan, but early last year I noticed the quality declining so rapidly that I stopped watching, then sold every FG DVD I had on eBay, just to get it out of my house.  My DVD collection is my most cherished posession.  I have NEVER sold any part of it, aside from Family Guy.  Hell, even when Scrubs completely nosedived in season 6, I did still hang on to those DVDs.

spaceforarent

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 08:57:10 AM »
You know, if I see a topic where they are discussing something that I don't care about, I usually just skip over that topic. 

I don't make a point to enter the topic, just to post that I don't like the thing that is being talked about.

"Oh look, there is a thread about Gossip Girl!  I hate that show!  It is soooo stupid!  They'd probably want to know that I think that.  I'd better let them know."   ::)

I agree with you, but this is a different scenario. This topic was created against Family Guy. So all the people coming in here saying "Hey I liked that episode," they're the real evil in this case.

MontyServo

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 08:58:20 AM »
For a reason I cannot remember, I tuned in a few months ago to watch an episode in which the show came to a dead stop for five full minutes to insert a Conway Twitty music video.  That's a "fuck you" to the viewers if I ever saw one.

It was a Hee Haw reference.  On Hee Haw, they would abruptly end a skit just like that and throw it to the musical guest.  I like Conway Twitty and Hee Haw, so I got a laugh out of it.

the bizarre way of splitting the DVD sets into, basically, half seasons sold for full season price,

And if you are willing to wait a bit longer, you can usually find these half season packs at substantial discounts at Target or Best Buy.

I used to be a fan, but early last year I noticed the quality declining so rapidly that I stopped watching, then sold every FG DVD I had on eBay, just to get it out of my house.

So you got rid of stuff that you were a fan of, just because you didn't like the current product?  I'm surprised you sold it on Ebay, and didn't just piss on it then set it on fire.  :P

I understand that this is always going to be one of those things that is very polarizing.  Family Guy, funny or not?  I think it is funny (though I will concede that it has seen better days), you think it is not funny.  What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  Absolutely nothing.

MontyServo

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
You know, if I see a topic where they are discussing something that I don't care about, I usually just skip over that topic. 

I don't make a point to enter the topic, just to post that I don't like the thing that is being talked about.

"Oh look, there is a thread about Gossip Girl!  I hate that show!  It is soooo stupid!  They'd probably want to know that I think that.  I'd better let them know."   ::)

I agree with you, but this is a different scenario. This topic was created against Family Guy. So all the people coming in here saying "Hey I liked that episode," they're the real evil in this case.

Actually, the topic was not created against Family Guy.  It was created for those of us that watch Family Guy to discuss the latest episode.  If you read it again, you will see that Compound (who created the thread) likes Family Guy (he must since he watches it) and liked the episode up until it took too much of a dark turn for him.

spaceforarent

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 09:41:33 AM »

Actually, the topic was not created against Family Guy.  It was created for those of us that watch Family Guy to discuss the latest episode.  If you read it again, you will see that Compound (who created the thread) likes Family Guy (he must since he watches it) and liked the episode up until it took too much of a dark turn for him.

Looking back I guess I read too much hate into it. I assumed that their tv was just on while they were on the computer and just didn't bother to change the channel, heard how terrible they thought it was, and came here to complain (this is the internet, right?)

Hey, hows about I make an on-topic post?
I watched it after reading through this. Now, I used to really like the show, then it lost me, now I like the occasional new episode. Didn't like this one though. Not because of the beginning, or the sudden change of tone, but because it just wasn't funny. I did like how Brian just admits to liking vomit, I usually like when they have him still do dog things and just talk about them in a perfectly normal tone. And the "when is this going to stop" line when the bullet kept ricocheting had me laughing, but that's really all I remember laughing at.

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but most shows that end up with cast members trapped in a vault is nothing but flashbacks, but this was the first Family Guy with no cutaway gags at all. :^)
This was another thing I liked. I find it to actually be pretty clever.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »
That episode really left me with more of a "let's see what we can throw out there and get away with" than I had before...  :-\

I get the joke of using what would normally be an episode consisting entirely of flashbacks and NOT having any.  That was clever, but other than the bullet ricochet bit I didn't find any of it really funny.  The show really is starting to put in alot of stuff that IMO comes across as them saying "it's funny because it's overly offensive/gross/inappropriate/etc." but back to the topic of the thread which was Ep150...

The musical numbers should have been part of it's own thing.  It just made it feel like they didn't have enough material for the full hour long episode (ok, 42 minutes once you cut the commercials) and just threw it in there.