login

Author Topic: What Blue things did you learn??  (Read 18438 times)

Offline JWhite

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Re: What Blue things did you learn??
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 10:53:44 PM »
I learned that you can spend a billion dollars on CGI to show me things that will bore my mind for 2/3rds of a movie.

At least the Star Wars Prequels had amusing/cool action beats in them, hell even Beowulf was entertaining in it's action. But this? It had about as much action as New Moon did!  ::)

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 11:29:32 PM »
I learned that Private Vasquez was reincarnated - and then killed again.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 08:35:14 AM »
I learned that even though the Na'vi can talk with the trees, and all the trees are connected, they are still taken by surprise by the GIANT BULLDOZERS TRAMPLING THE TREES FOR THREE MONTHS to get to them!

That's a great point actually.

Which makes one wonder, why bulldoze for three months?  You can airlift anywhere you want, build a spaceport anywhere you want, so it's not like you're spending all that time building roads, right?  RIGHT?!?
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Hey hey mama said the way you move
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 08:48:56 AM »
I learned that GPS technology apparently ceases to exist in a few hundred years.

Offline JWhite

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 09:46:19 AM »
Since someone brought up the protection of the mechs, I have a new one...

That in the future, a main gunship pilot window can withstand arrows but normal mech glass shielding is so flimsy a rock and break through it...never mind why someone would use glass for shielding in the first place.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »
That in the future, a main gunship pilot window can withstand arrows but normal mech glass shielding is so flimsy a rock and break through it...never mind why someone would use glass for shielding in the first place.

That's because in the future they have lost the formula for lexan, couldn't think of anything new, and have gone back to automotive glass.

Also they can scan the ground for minerals and pinpoint them, but have lost all knowledge of mining techniques other than strip mining.   They've got interstellar ships but have forgotten how to build tunnel boring machines?   If the surface is so hostile take your mining underground, building tunnels would be cheaper than paying for all those solders an weapons.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »

That's because in the future they have lost the formula for lexan, couldn't think of anything new, and have gone back to automotive glass.

Also they can scan the ground for minerals and pinpoint them, but have lost all knowledge of mining techniques other than strip mining.   They've got interstellar ships but have forgotten how to build tunnel boring machines?   If the surface is so hostile take your mining underground, building tunnels would be cheaper than paying for all those solders an weapons.

Nah, underground is even worse. Pandora is TEAMING with Graboids!

Offline JWhite

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
Oooh, I have a new one:

I learned that when a seasoned trained marine who has previously fought in war and who is now introduced to a planet in which he is constantly warned by his superiors that it's code red hostile...that said marine's first tactic is TO TOUCH/PLAY WITH EVERY SINGLE BIT OF THE HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT IN SIGHT!

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »
I learned that somewhere between theatrical release and it's release on DVD, this movie lost it's opening title.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
It never had an opening title.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
It never had an opening title.

???  Wonder if the one I saw was edited somehow.  It showed when he's saying "you have to wake up."

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 04:04:14 AM »

I think just IN THE FUTURE it will be far more cost effective to just send a bunch of military guys with billions of dollars in weapons of death and blow the surroundings to smithereens!!! ...rather than just tunnel mine down to what you want without harming the trees, ground, or indigenous life forms.

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 05:08:23 AM »
I also learned that even though the "flux" messes up radar and guidance systems, it apparently doesn't mess up the signals that let the drivers link to their avatars.  Come to think of it, how do they link to the avatars, is there a radio receiver where the brain should be?  Where's the antenna? What kind of signal is it that lets them travel where ever they want and not lose contact?  Man this movie needs a continuous scroll along the bottom that says, "don't think, just watch the pretty pictures".

Just call the "stuff" what it is: plotdevicium 
Just to take this a step further

IN THE FUTURE... Scientists will have developed a remote control ability that utilizes the human brain for control. It is able to function in "flux" areas most other electronic devices fail at. Somehow the military either does not know about this, or refuses to incorporate it into their billion dollar war machines... preferring to potentially put hundreds of their men's lives in harms way.

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 08:44:32 AM »
I also learned that even though the "flux" messes up radar and guidance systems, it apparently doesn't mess up the signals that let the drivers link to their avatars.  Come to think of it, how do they link to the avatars, is there a radio receiver where the brain should be?  Where's the antenna? What kind of signal is it that lets them travel where ever they want and not lose contact?  Man this movie needs a continuous scroll along the bottom that says, "don't think, just watch the pretty pictures".

Just call the "stuff" what it is: plotdevicium 
Just to take this a step further

IN THE FUTURE... Scientists will have developed a remote control ability that utilizes the human brain for control. It is able to function in "flux" areas most other electronic devices fail at. Somehow the military either does not know about this, or refuses to incorporate it into their billion dollar war machines... preferring to potentially put hundreds of their men's lives in harms way.

To be fair, I did find an answer to all the military talk.

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/RDA

According to an unofficial wiki, it is actually NOT a government military force on Pandora but some sort of combat/security force that was part of the big bad corporation. So it's not military as much as it is more like security guys that just have robots and guns.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 10:05:29 AM »
According to an unofficial wiki, it is actually NOT a government military force on Pandora but some sort of combat/security force that was part of the big bad corporation. So it's not military as much as it is more like security guys that just have robots and guns.

Yea, Scully says in the narration right after they land on Pandora.