Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 35245 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #525 on: October 22, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »
The MLB front office must be getting nervous at the thought of the Rangers-Giants World Series, that would get terrible ratings.   

I'd watch game 1 anyway.  After that... *shrug*

Yea, Lee vs. Lincecum would be the only games I'll want to see, the others maybe if I'm bored.

I keep reading that the Giants have outplayed the Phillies, but the fact is this these games have been the worst the Phillies have played all year.  I can remember a few games this season where they made lots of mistakes, but can't remember 2 or more in a row where they have made so many errors or base running blunders...  Bad swings at the plate they have had plenty of this year but have made up for it by playing great defence behind good pitching.

They've won 2 or 3 in a row plenty of times, especially at home, so I'd say there's a good chance of the Phillies making it to the world series.

As much as I'd like to see a Yankees-Phillies rematch I hope the Yankees lose tonight just so the Phillies game doesn't have to start at 4 tomorrow and have to deal with shadows.  4 is a lousy time to start a game this time of year with sunset being around 6.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #526 on: October 22, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »
Striking out A-Rod in TX to clinch?  PERFECT ENDING!   :D

Anyone else think Washington looks like Lem from Better off Ted?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #527 on: October 23, 2010, 06:58:25 AM »
Congrats to the Rangers and their long-suffering fans.

Loved how ESPN spent most of the morning talking about the Yankee offseason needs in hushed tones like they were discussing middle east peace.   Oh what WILL the Yankees do?   Let me think...... oh yeah spend money like a drunken sailor and hope the players they sign aren't stiffs like A-Roid.    $210 million does not buy what it used to.......

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #528 on: October 23, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
 :grr: 

The "never a game 7" streak for the Phillies continues...

Kind of fitting that the season would end with the big piece striking out.  Would have been more fitting if he swung and missed, this was the season of hits and misses in all aspects of the game (perfection to terrible).

Giants were certainly more up for this series, Phillies looked like they had already lost for the first 4 games, by the time they woke up it was too late.

Was a hell of a season, with all the injuries and slumps it was truly amazing that they ended up with the most wins in all of baseball.   I managed to listen on radio or watch almost every game this year, got to be the most games I've managed to catch in a season.

Now they need to find a way to keep Jason Werth.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #529 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf0j1rmZVbM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf0j1rmZVbM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »

He looks too much like K1 for my liking.   ;)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #531 on: October 25, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »

He looks too much like K1 for my liking.   ;)

:D  I can see that.  Or Edge from WWE.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #532 on: November 02, 2010, 12:40:44 AM »
Did anyone watch the World Series? 

I was going to watch the games Lincecum and Lee pitched, but found the Giants fairly annoying to watch when they were playing the Phillies so didn't get around to watching any of it.

Hell of a streak the Giants went on, maybe Guillen shared some of his HGH with the rest of the team, oh, that's right, the feds intercepted that package.  What annoyed me about them was how "jumpy" they seemed, then I read about the HGH, hmmmm.....

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #533 on: November 02, 2010, 04:51:22 AM »
I did not watch any of the WS this year...... first time ever I think.

Congrats to the Giants.

anais.jude

« Reply #534 on: November 02, 2010, 05:25:08 AM »
I did not watch the world series either. I wish the Rangers would have won.

On the Bright Side.....Back to our regularly scheduled programming!  :D

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #535 on: November 02, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »
I did not watch the world series either. I wish the Rangers would have won.

On the Bright Side.....Back to our regularly scheduled programming!  :D

You mean time for Hot Stove talk!  I think the Sox have 3 days to decide if they're picking up the option on Ortiz.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #536 on: November 09, 2010, 03:43:47 AM »
Wow, maybe I can actually watch baseball on Sunday with the the sound on next season.   Jon Miller drove me insane with his idiotic comments and horrible way of over emphasing odd words in sentences and ending them with a question.

"At bat NOW is Albert Pujols WHO is hitting .321 on THE season?"

Jon Miller, Joe Morgan not returningEmail Print Comments1268 ESPN.com news services

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan's 21-year run on ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball" is over.

Morgan's contract is expiring and he will not be renewed. Miller's contract is also expiring though he may remain at ESPN working the "Sunday Night Baseball" series and postseason baseball for ESPN Radio.

"Jon and Joe have contributed greatly to the success of 'Sunday Night Baseball' for the past 21 seasons," ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson said in a statement Monday. "Over the last two decades, Joe went from Hall of Fame player to one of his sport's top analysts and Jon's Hall of Fame voice and tremendous knowledge of the game have connected with baseball fans everywhere. We owe them our deepest thanks for an outstanding body of work."

Miller, the play-by-play voice, received the Baseball Hall of Fame's 2010 Ford C. Frick Award. Morgan, the color commentator, was a two-time National League MVP with the Cincinnati Reds. The second baseman was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1990.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Moleman

« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
Yeah I know I said I'd stop with the whole self promotion but one more time.  My podcast I do with 3 others called "Full Count"  will be coming out weekly all off-season.  Here is the latest episode and first of the offseason: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/blogs/latest/entry/full-count-the-baseball-podcast-offseason-1

The idea to fill time during the slow and long off-season is to try to get deep into a lot of baseball topics like this week we talk about all the manager changes, why that is done, and some of the positive and negative results changing a manager can bring.  I consider that a lot more entertaining then the constant rumor BS of where people are going to go which is just mindless guessing that NEVER ends up being right.  We'll try to only mention deals that have already been made or we're pretty damn sure are about to be called official at the time of recording.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #538 on: November 11, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »
From Yahoo:

The Red Sox will determine how available Adrian Gonzalez and Prince Fielder are before they start serious negotiations with top free agents. It sounds like the Padres and Brewers will at least listen to offers for their respective first basemen.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #539 on: November 11, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
From Yahoo:

The Red Sox will determine how available Adrian Gonzalez and Prince Fielder are before they start serious negotiations with top free agents. It sounds like the Padres and Brewers will at least listen to offers for their respective first basemen.

Prince Fielder = DH