login

Author Topic: East meets Watts (aka Dynamite Brothers)  (Read 3481 times)

Offline WhackyWookiee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 10
  • YouTube is God's gift to the Internets.
    • Whacky Wookiee's Domain
East meets Watts (aka Dynamite Brothers)
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
Tried to start this with the dvd child boards, it wouldn't let me...I know it's redundant down here, sorry.

Saw this one live as the "Dynamite Brothers" in Cleveland a year ago. They did a great job back then, and I'm sure the riffing has tightened up since then. I haven't picked up the home version yet, but I watched the sample. It was a little weird having them staring back at me. I think I would prefer a standard CT silhouette with an alternate live audio track.
What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:08:23 PM by WhackyWookiee »
I make good words.

WhackyWookiee's Domain
http://whackywookiee.blogspot.com/

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2404
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: East meets Watts (aka Dynamite Brothers)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »
I actually like hearing the audiance reaction.   It makes it more of "an experience" and brings back memories of seeing them live.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:21 AM »
Yeah, without the audience reaction, Frank's great "How dare you judge me!" bit wouldn't have happened.

Offline WhackyWookiee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 10
  • YouTube is God's gift to the Internets.
    • Whacky Wookiee's Domain
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »
I actually like hearing the audiance reaction.   It makes it more of "an experience" and brings back memories of seeing them live.
Yeah, without the audience reaction, Frank's great "How dare you judge me!" bit wouldn't have happened.

I think you guys misunderstood, I like hearing the audience...but not seeing their faces, especially so large onscreen, I prefer "Shadowrama."  You don't get to see the audience anyway from what I gather. They should at least figure out a way to do shadows live.  Having them stand in front on a blue screen, illuminated from the rear, (of the screen,)  would look really cool live, and would translate to DVD pretty well at least.
I didn't make it to the live Rifftrax stuff, but I see they did the big face thing too.  Joel and the gang have the silhouettes at their disposal and they've cast it aside it seems to save a few bucks.

I was actually a bit disappointed that the live shows of CT were so bare bones, they could use a dash of showmanship in their presentation I think; see KISS circa 1977 for advice.  They didn't even have any merchandise for sale, I wanted a T-shirt.  They had their DVDs, (which most of us already had I'm sure) and cast pictures for $15, but everyone had MST3K stuff for them to sign. Also, I was pretty close for both shows and their desk lamps were in my eyes the whole time.

Oh, by the way, whats "the don't you judge me gag?" It would fit as a "tag" for when he did the "Ginger Baker" riff again, I was the only one who laughed (clapped too), because I read his blog about it way back when. He didn't have any "tags" to go along with the riff at the time, but I remember thinking he should stand up and say something like "Who says a running gag has to be funny?"; but I forgot to tell him in line.
I make good words.

WhackyWookiee's Domain
http://whackywookiee.blogspot.com/

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:41:56 PM »
The "How Dare you jusge me!" moment wasn't a gag, but someone in the audience kinda went "oooh" at a riff of Frank's after everyone else had laughed and he just looked in their direction and spat out "HOW DARE YOU JUDGE ME!"

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56:36 PM »

I think you guys misunderstood, I like hearing the audience...but not seeing their faces, especially so large onscreen, I prefer "Shadowrama."  You don't get to see the audience anyway from what I gather. They should at least figure out a way to do shadows live.  Having them stand in front on a blue screen, illuminated from the rear, (of the screen,)  would look really cool live, and would translate to DVD pretty well at least.
I didn't make it to the live Rifftrax stuff, but I see they did the big face thing too.  Joel and the gang have the silhouettes at their disposal and they've cast it aside it seems to save a few bucks.

I think, as performers, they like seeing the audience, but I like the screen idea. Sort of how Gorillaz perform "live."

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
I forgot to post that I got around to writing about East Meets Watts for my blog:

https://livelocalman.com/2018/03/24/msting-links-cinematic-titanic-episode-8-east-meets-watts/