login

Author Topic: Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame  (Read 8020 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 01:08:48 PM »
ZING  LOL

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 09:26:52 PM »
What the heck does Grandmaster Flash have to do with Rock and Roll??

Miles Davis was a superb musician and hugely influential, but what contribution to Rock and Roll would he be attributed to?

Foo Fighters, IMO, are far too young a band to be inducted. As in, they've not been around quite long enough, nor had as much influence as other bands who came before them.

I will say right now that I disagree with anything Rolling Stone magazine says. If they like a band, I don't. And vice versa(just so you know...)

;)

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 09:38:08 PM »
I will say right now that I disagree with anything Rolling Stone magazine says. If they like a band, I don't. And vice versa(just so you know...)

I'm with you there. I got a three-issue test subscription once and was amazed at how magnificently out of touch they are. Ten years behind every trend and mainstreamy to a fault, it's really just a sickening display of cluelessness.

As for messrs Flash and Davis they have had larget effects on Rock music, even if those effects came about tangentially (Rap leading to Rap Metal and Davis "inventing" JazzFusion), but if you're going to stick just actual RnR in the RnRHoF, you'd have to throw out at least half the bands already inducted.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 10:17:18 PM »
but if you're going to stick just actual RnR in the RnRHoF, you'd have to throw out at least half the bands already inducted.

Done and done.

Also, I do realize that the Foo Fighters are too young to be inducted, but I was trying to give an example of the type of band that needs to be inducted instead of someone like Grandmaster Flash or Flavor Flav or The Violent Femmes. ;)

Offline Mayor Of Simpleton

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
Chicago up to 1978 (Terry Kath's death) put out some great music, sold a lot of vinyl, and were a great concert draw. Listen to at least the first 3 albums and you'll know it's simply jazz rock genius.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »
  They released the list of this year's inductees: Grandmaster Flash, R.E.M., the Ronettes, Patti Smith and VanHalen.  Seems like they want somebody for everybody to disagree on.
    Personally, I have no idea as to Patti Smith's importance since the only song I'm aware of her performing was written by Springsteen, but somebody feels she belongs there.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 03:39:12 PM »
They're also inducting my broken swiffer mop. They're saying it helped to clean up the industry. ;D

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »
Whether you are a fan of their music or not, it's hard to argue against Van Halen or R.E.M.. If you're looking for a combination of sales success, influence on other bands and a decent chunk of longevity... I can't think of many acts that hit it big in the 80's that fit the bill better. Sure, it's been 15 years or so since either band has done anything that can be considered relevant... but you'd be getting ahead of yourself if you put in bands while they still had other things to do. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5087
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 04:29:09 PM »
If you like music from the 80's (and you probably do) and you want to vote for the top 50 hits of the 80's, then go here and vote for that:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,17258.0.html