Author Topic: Re: Feeling The Need to Complete Series  (Read 3037 times)

Offline geesus

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
Re: Feeling The Need to Complete Series
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
I was just wondering if I'm alone in thinking perhaps the guys are feeling pressured into completing 'sagas' like Star Wars, for completions sake? I only ask as I think this release didn't quite have the magic of the rest of the Star Wars films, or indeed the run of outstanding Rifftrax of late. Perhaps it was just me, but usually you can tell when the guys are having a good time and here they just seemd a bit jaded (hardly any laughs from Kevin? Not a good sign!). Still enjoyable, but not a patch on the other Star Wars trax (I'm thinking the final act of 'Revenge of the Sith' which is pure comedy gold, in particular)

I, for one, would prefer them to concentrate on riffing films they themselves, would enjoy doing, rather than catering exclusively for the fanbase.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:14:35 PM by geesus »

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
I don't think they feel pressured.  One of them, I think it was Coner, said as much when people asked why Spiderman 3 got riffed before Spiderman 2.  I don't remember the exact quote but it was something to the effect of "Don't assume Spiderman 2 is ever getting riffed.  Just because we do one doesn't mean we're doing others."  Another good example is Terminator 3.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
Well, there is also the aspect that if one movie in a series lent itself to riffing due to subject matter, genre, actors, etc. than the others would also tend to be good riffing targets as well. Terminator and Terminator 2 would make great Rifftrax, for similar reasons the other Terminator movies did. Sure, they don't HAVE to riff them, but if they're good targets and they would likely be good sellers, why not?

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:40 AM »
I agree that this one didn't seem as good as previous SW riffs, but that's just my opinion at the moment. Sometimes I need to watch it riffed a 2nd time to appreciate it.

That said, I'm waiting for Goblet of Fire riffs and the rest of the HP series. I've loved all the HP riffs and can't stand GOF. I mean, Harry cheats throughout the whole thing, it practically riffs itself!

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:27:14 AM »
I've been really wanting more HP riffs so I went back and looked at the time gaps between the first three releases.  I don't think there was more than 8 months between any of the first three riffs but now we've gone 13 months since the last one.  That leads me to believe it ain't gonna happen.  They've had enough of the series.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
I've been really wanting more HP riffs so I went back and looked at the time gaps between the first three releases.  I don't think there was more than 8 months between any of the first three riffs but now we've gone 13 months since the last one.  That leads me to believe it ain't gonna happen.  They've had enough of the series.

Geez, I hope not. I think they might just have got fatigued after powering through the first three. Those suckers are long! It's like eight total hours of movie.

Of course I guess it's possible they ran dry on Potter jokes in general. Anyway, here's hoping they get inspired and jump start it again at some point.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MST3Kgirl

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
i agree with you, some of these seem like they didn't put as much effort into. Like they just worked on it for a few hours and decided it was "good enough"

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
Re: Re: Feeling The Need to Complete Series
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
I think the "good enough" approach is their main M.O. these days. I just listened to an interview where Mike said how hard it was to riff movies on MST3k. Now, instead of agonizing over spots that don't inspire jokes, I think they do one of five things: make a basic observation, make a vaguely related reference, make a bad pun, make a callback to an in-joke, or hope one of the other three or four scripts has something goof for that spot. I think that's also generally why they do the big blockbuster type movies. They don't just feature one room where nothing happens for half an hour like those old black and white turkeys, making the whole job a lot easier.

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:57:57 AM »
Just had to comment again to say I'm so happy they came out with HP 4 and it wasn't mediocre in any way. At least I enjoyed it, and I think the time off helped the riffers. I definitely believe the Twilight jokes helped, which they wouldn't have had before.