login

Author Topic: Syfy president disses MST3K  (Read 9823 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Syfy president disses MST3K
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
This is what happens when you let the suits be in charge of the talent.
This is what happens when you hire "suits" instead of talented people.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »

In every industry, know-nothings with MBAs - straight out of college and into management, never having done the work they're overseeing - have been at the root of all current problems.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

In every industry, know-nothings with MBAs - straight out of college and into management, never having done the work they're overseeing - have been at the root of all current problems.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 08:02:05 PM »

TV is in the business of selling ads, not making entertainment. Duh.
"This is a business and we're in the business to do business, so lets do some business!"

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

TV is in the business of selling ads, not making entertainment. Duh.

And in taking that attitude they're doing to TV what the "Suits" have already done to radio.........

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »
TV in this country has ALWAYS been in the business of selling ads. It's what they do.
But look at anything from Playhouse 90 to Show of Shows to Twilight Zone to All in the Family to M*A*S*H and tell me there were people who knew quality when they saw it and worked to get it on the air....

That's happening less and less.  And even when someone good does come along, some of their good deeds don't get a chance to prove themselves before they're let go....

The guy who bought and developed "Lost" for ABC (whatever we think of it) was fired before it got on the air and became a hit....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 09:05:55 PM »
TV in this country has ALWAYS been in the business of selling ads. It's what they do.

Beg to differ old boy

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
Funny he mentions that it hasn't been on the network for over 8 years. That is exactly how long it has been since I last WATCHED Sci-fi (or "SyFy") channel. I watched the channel for MST3K. I watched and recorded every episode back then. Once it was gone I never watched the channel again.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »
Funny he mentions that it hasn't been on the network for over 8 years. That is exactly how long it has been since I last WATCHED Sci-fi (or "SyFy") channel. I watched the channel for MST3K. I watched and recorded every episode back then. Once it was gone I never watched the channel again.

And I recall that part of the reason they gave at the time for dropping it was that MSTies tuned in for the show but never stayed and watched anything else.

I would beg to differ in that I did watch their reruns of "Dark Shadows", "Babylon 5" and "Farscape" until they dropped them all....but I doubt that's what they had in mind.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »

And I recall that part of the reason they gave at the time for dropping it was that MSTies tuned in for the show but never stayed and watched anything else.

I would beg to differ in that I did watch their reruns of "Dark Shadows", "Babylon 5" and "Farscape" until they dropped them all....but I doubt that's what they had in mind.

So what if I stopped watching after MST3K. MST3K is getting the ratings. Makes sense to keep what is getting ratings. Better to get those people to watch that show than to dump it and they watch none. Only other show of their I watched was Tremors the series.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »
Who watches SyFy any way?  All it is now is reruns of a five year old NBC shows and ten year old Universal movies,You can get that on every other station out there.  People like this guy are the reason I don't watch TV any more(I stick to DvDs of older shows)and the BBC and HBO are my two favorite networks in history.  They may have their problems but they do have fewer suits to mess up good shows.  Oh and if given a chance to find viewers most of the time good shows will make more money then bad shows.  MASH,Cheers,Andy Griffith,Star Trek are all still in reruns and sell a lot of DvDs.  You can make money producing good shows,you just have to let people find the shows and that takes more then three weeks.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »

I'm amazed that a show like MST3K managed to get on the air in the first place, let alone pull off a network switch after being canceled and run for about ten straight years. I imagine that part of the reason for their longevity was that the show was relatively cheap to produce. That was a big chunk of time to dedicate to a single program. And i doubt that even a show as popular as The Simpsons would have lasted as long if it had been two hours.

I am surprised that SyFy isn't even airing an occasional rerun, though. Those last three seasons are bought and paid for, and i believe that they own the broadcast rights to most of the films. Of course, they may have shot themselves in the foot by insisting on a linear narrative for the show... which might force them to air an entire season in order, rather than cherry pick popular episodes. But i actually thought that the genre restrictions were a good idea for MST3K.

Anyway, i don't get all the hate directed towards the SyFy Channel (except for the stupid name change, they totally deserve it for that.) They rescued MST3K from cancellation for three seasons, aired Battlestar Galactica, some awesome animation, an occasional miniseries... and i actually enjoy their horrible TV movies.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 03:32:46 AM »
Talk about biting the hand that fed them for a few years before it was so unceremoniously dropped.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 03:47:16 AM »
The president of SyFy doesn't think that Mystery Science Theater 3000 is all that!  What a travesty.  Let us endlessly mock him.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 03:51:13 AM »
Anyway, i don't get all the hate directed towards the SyFy Channel (except for the stupid name change, they totally deserve it for that.) They rescued MST3K from cancellation for three seasons, aired Battlestar Galactica, some awesome animation, an occasional miniseries... and i actually enjoy their horrible TV movies.

I think it's because they did what TV stations routinely do, and cancelled a TV show, rather than let it run for eternity.  Admitting MST3K is fallible is a terrible offense.