login

Author Topic: List the top 10 films you'd want riffed  (Read 298462 times)

Invader_quirk

Re: List the top 10 films you'd want riffed
« Reply #1725 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
Is there really such a thing as "professional" and "amateur" riffing? Because wouldn't that basically make Rifftrax and CT the only true "professionals"? How can anyone else ever become one? What happens once they all retire?

If a line really needs to be drawn I would say anyone that has actually written and recorded a riff to be professional, and that idiot saying his jokes in a theater is an amateur. And a douche.

I agree with you fully. I personally think it's time to drop terms like iRiffers, fan riffers, or amateur riffers. Riffing doesn't just belong to the MST3k alum anymore. Riffing's a form of entertainment and there are lots of talented riffers out there.

That said, I can understand describing riffers that are just starting out as amateur in the "un-experienced" sense of the word, but I don't think it's fair to label any and every non-MST3k-related riffing project as such. At this point, there are a fair number of seasoned riffing groups.

If elected, I will work tirelessly until there is equality for all riffers! "A vote for Quirk is a vote that works!"

Offline turbospaz3000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1726 on: January 12, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »
"amateur riffer" is not a demeaning term anymore than "amateur athlete" is.
I'm a bouncer at the BK Lounge.
Can we get in?
Not without coups. Not without coups baby.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #1727 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »

And no offense was taken. I know you're using the term to pretty much mean "non-Rifftrax". In my mind, the term implies inexperience, but that's not how a lot of people use it. I wasn't trying to call you out on it or anything. Just expressing my opinion.

Offline turbospaz3000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1728 on: January 12, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »

And no offense was taken. I know you're using the term to pretty much mean "non-Rifftrax". In my mind, the term implies inexperience, but that's not how a lot of people use it. I wasn't trying to call you out on it or anything. Just expressing my opinion.

no, its cool. actually, i checked out some of the samples on your site and it seems like high quality stuff. by the way, your youtube samples are broken.
I'm a bouncer at the BK Lounge.
Can we get in?
Not without coups. Not without coups baby.

Watchman

« Reply #1729 on: January 12, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »

"Amateur" is actually a rank or few above "hobbyist", as I discovered years ago in a photography store. In my mind, "amateur" means "not a veteran of the craft but more than merely recreational". Most people use use the word "amateur" are unqualified to do so, as they haven't performed enough of a given activity to be a qualified "amateur". Armchair critics using the word "amateur" are unwittingly complimenting whoever's above them on the Skill Caste (a caste I'm very, very low on).

Invader_quirk

« Reply #1730 on: January 12, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »
no, its cool. actually, i checked out some of the samples on your site and it seems like high quality stuff. by the way, your youtube samples are broken.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. We put a lot of effort into each and every line and do our best to eliminate "filler" jokes. The youtube samples are gone because studios kept having them taken down, and simply submitting a counterclaim puts a strike on your account, even if it's found to be legit. The account was deleted because we stood up to too many bullies, essentially. There's a new site on the way and we'll be hosting our own videos at that point.

Offline Prince of Space 5049

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #1731 on: January 13, 2012, 04:01:25 AM »
My understanding has always been that if you get paid, your a profession, if not, amateur.  So to me, all IRiffers are professionals, provided someone, anyone, has paid for a download.
[

Watchman

« Reply #1732 on: January 13, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
My understanding has always been that if you get paid, your a profession, if not, amateur.  So to me, all IRiffers are professionals, provided someone, anyone, has paid for a download.
I've been paid for used DVDs I sell on Ebay. Does that make me a professional merchant? What about yard sales?

• Big Montana
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #1733 on: January 14, 2012, 07:36:12 AM »
I've been paid for used DVDs I sell on Ebay. Does that make me a professional merchant? What about yard sales?

Weeelllllllllllll,  your supposed to pay taxes on your earnings.  Does that make you feel like a professional?
[

Invader_quirk

« Reply #1734 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »
I always thought, technically, "professional" means you do it for a living.

shodan

« Reply #1735 on: January 14, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »
i think there are shades of grey too, i mean, im not a professional gamer, but by no means am i am amateur (n00b)

• Big Montana
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #1736 on: January 14, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
Okay, you forced me to do this:

Professional
 Origin pro·fes·sion·al
adjective
1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
2. of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.
3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
4. engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.
5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.”
7. undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball.
8. of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment.
9. done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.
noun
10. a person who belongs to one of the professions,  especially one of the learned professions.
11. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.
12. an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.
13. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

I was originally just refering to IRiffers and support for them therein, but you forced my hand by getting all "specific".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:32:19 AM by Prince of Space 5049 »
[

Offline aranumenwen

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1737 on: January 22, 2012, 02:23:42 AM »
-- Evil Dead (It barely needs a riffing considering how much I laugh normally, It's soo campy)
-- Shoot 'em Up (That baby would be dead)
-- Blackula (I'll never understand why that movie was ever made in the first place.)
-- Tomb Raider (i'm not so sure about this one though)
-- Xmen origins: Wolverine (I can barely watch that movie anymore, some of the worse special effects ever)
-- Lake Placid (giant crocodiles? really?)
-- Anaconda (Jaws with snake)
-- The labyrinth (David Bowie is rocking spandex pants the ENTIRE time. I just don't know if it's out of the running because it's a musical, kind of movie.)
-- Die Hard  ( "you just killed that helicopter with a car!!!")
-- The exorcist (just for laughs) 

Watchman

« Reply #1738 on: January 22, 2012, 02:37:11 AM »
A.) They don't riff comedies. http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=17646.0
B.) Welcome to the Forum.

-- Lake Placid (giant crocodiles? really?)
-- Anaconda (Jaws with snake)
-- The labyrinth (David Bowie is rocking spandex pants the ENTIRE time. I just don't know if it's out of the running because it's a musical, kind of movie.)
-- Die Hard  ( "you just killed that helicopter with a car!!!")
-- The exorcist (just for laughs)
Great choices.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:38:45 AM by Sutter Cane »

Offline aranumenwen

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1739 on: January 22, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
A.) They don't riff comedies. http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=17646.0

Oh, see, I know I laughed my ass off at that movie, but seeing as it wasn't necessarily proposed as such that it could still be a possibility.

Edit: my noob-id-ness is now apparent, I ought to read things more often.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:21:17 PM by aranumenwen »