Author Topic: Video games I wish I could forget about  (Read 893 times)

Russell

Video games I wish I could forget about
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
I really have some bad memories of the late 80's and the early 90's, but especially some games that promised fun on the outside but were a huge letdown on the inside. I mean let's face it, there was no internet yet, and hardly any game reviews aside from the few you'd find in Nintendo power. I remember a game called Captain America and the Avengers... for the NES. When I got this I was like "Oh yeah this is going to be just like the arcade game!!!"... it wasn't. You could only play as either Hawkeye or Captain America... and the controls stunk, and you had limited continues and the stages were impossible and you die way too easily, especially as Hawkeye. The game was basically nothing more as a sadistic exercise in sadism, and wasn't the least bit fun at all. I'm surprised nobody(Nope, not even AVGN) has critiqued this game yet.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Video games I wish I could forget about
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »
I used to play that game a lot.  Not that it was good, but because we rented it for a weekend and I wanted to beat it.  I was having a hard time on the first, purple boss, and I had just done enough damage to him to get "The Avengers" theme to start playing when my brother came in and reset the NES on me, to be 'funny.'  I told him I was just about to beat the guy and he said, "No, you weren't.  That guy's impossible.  Lo and behold, years later I tried playing it again.  Wouldn't you know it, I was maybe about 3 or 4 hits away from beating him and getting on with the game.  And I always preferred Hawkeye to Cap because you could fire in almost every direction, even though his arrows did squat in terms of damage to anybody.

Biggest failure NES game to me, though?  Dr. Chaos.  It was like Goonies II, but made even less sense (if you can believe THAT).  I still own it, but never had the manual for it, and I have no idea what I'm doing at all.  Nothing I ever accomplished in it made it seem like I was getting any further, just wandering aimlessly through hordes of bats and Frankenstein monsters.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
Well thanks a lot, I'd forgotten all about that crappy game until you brought it up.

Yeah, it does seem like something AVGN'd get to eventually.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:56:05 AM »
I wish I could forget all the time I wasted as a kid trying to beat ET.  I spent years trying to figure out how to beat that game before I found out it was just the worst game ever made.  That is true pain.

Offline MWolf

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 3
  • The Super Best Friends! Freedom of Speech
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:39:19 PM »
Most recent game I would wish to forget.... Two Worlds.... Yes, Two Worlds. Crappy controls, crappy combat, my horse doing a 90 up a hill and get stuck somewhere you cant get out of.

Also.... I sort of liked Captain America and the Avengers (Uses google to search the NES version) Holy crap that sucks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnKM5Wso2Nk
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:41:34 PM by MWolf »
For All of Humanity

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »
Why search google and wrestle with Emulators when you can play it in browser?

http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-6E&s=9

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 11:15:40 PM »
ahhhh. lovely thought :D reminds me of how video games evolved. technology really runs fast.