Author Topic: Ha! Ha! Forbes should not write about video games  (Read 5364 times)

Doctor Who?

Ha! Ha! Forbes should not write about video games
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/23/microsoft-xbox-videogames-cx_el_1123oldgames.html

was that a good laugh or was that a good laugh?!

I have never even played the greatest game of all time.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Ha! Ha! Forbes should not write about video games
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
To ignore everything except DragonStomper on the Atari 2600 is to ignore every other groundbreaking game ever made, from Monkey Island to Wolfenstein 3-D.  To say that games are no longer original is like saying plays aren't original because everything is a rip-off of Aeschylus.

The thing I think is funniest is him mentioning how the Apple computers had only one button on the mouse and that made everything simpler.  I think I mentioned on here somewhere else that, contrary to his statement, I would imagine clicking a second button on a mouse is worlds easier than having to hold down an option button on a keyboard with one hand and clicking with the other.

Another thing he forgets is that the games these days, without instruction manuals, are playable.  I think the Angry Video Game Nerd was doing the review of the Raiders of the Lost Ark game that makes absolutely no sense if you don't have the instructions.  Crap is crap, no matter how old it is.

Though, I have to admit, I sort of want to play "Lost Luggage..."
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
I find it funny that he thinks a gaming system would sell better if it had fake wood panels like the 2600 :D  This is just too good.

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »
haha. gave me a really good laugh :D

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:47:15 PM »

Truly, there was nowhere else for video games to go. They should have packed it in right there in 1982. :^)

Seriously, I'm as nostalgic for the old days as the next guy (Just look at the dude to the left of this post. Chompin' away... Chomp on, little dude!) but there was room for improvement with Pac-Man and there will be room for improvement for every game that will ever be made.

I do miss the inventiveness of that era, though. Back then, you didn't have graphics to diferentiate yourselves, so every game had to figure out a way to be different from the other games. The limitations of the era brought about ingenuity. There are a lot of diamonds in the rough on the Atari 2600 (there's a lot of rough too). It was exciting times when one game would introduce the space shooter, the next game introduced the maze game, Mario steped in and invented the platformer. It's been a long time since we've seen a major genre emerge in video games, which can make it hard not to feel like you're playing the same game over and over again.

But we're not finished yet. Focusing on a small handful of genres has allowed us mastery of those genres. Square took the crudely graphical, save-the-princess plots of yesterday's RPGs and raises the bar higher and higher all the time. The remakes of some of yesteryears' more inventive games like Bionic Commando keeps ingenuity in the current mindset, and digital distribution (and I think we can credit the aforementioned Xbox360 for placing digital distribution back in the spotlight) has opened the door for "indie" games to come in and shake things up. Motion control is changing how games work, and once game developers stop trying to shoehorn old experiences into a new mindset and start coming up with new kinds of games, I think we'll see a video game renaissance, where companies try to come up with the next big idea instead of the next skin to wrap around a big idea.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
There were also multiple ways to solve problems. One could descend to the dragon's lair on a rope or simply jump down (and absorb some damage).

Wow.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:37:37 AM by RobtheBarbärian »

Doctor Who?

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »
If he is blown away by the choices and "music" of the Atari 2600 maybe modern games just made his head over heat and he was ill when he wrote this.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »
Am I the only person here who had never heard of dragonstomper?

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »
Am I the only person here who had never heard of dragonstomper?

I've heard of it, but I'd be surprised if very many other people have.  It was one of about ten games that required the Starpath Supercharger, which was basically a VCS cartridge filled with a whole bunch of RAM ("whole bunch" being a relative term, especially when you're talking about a console that had a whopping 128 bytes of built-in memory.)

The games themselves came on standard cassette tapes.  You plugged the Supercharger into the console, connected the attached cable to the output jack on a tape player, and "played" the game to load it onto the cartridge.

A niche item, as you might guess, but the games were definitely very advanced by Atari 2600 standards.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
Sounds neat.  Before anyone gets any idea that i hate old games my first system was a Vectrex that I played since i was a kid and one of the happiest days of my life was when Sears put the Atari 7800s on clearance with eight games and my family was able to get one.  I once played my 7800 so long I hurt my hand.  I loved that thing it's just that the idea that there was nowhere to go after atari is so stupid.  Also that article was written a couple of months after the 360s launch,is that a little to soon to declare a system dead?

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »
I hadn't heard of DragonStomper either before the article, and just the fact that he mentions it, almost deliberately looking for an obscure game just to be a snob, reminds me of an old Something Awful article that David Thorpe wrote, claiming that no one had heard of his favorite band, called Egyptian Head, and he recommended their third album "Pure Sophistication."  Obviously, the band is fake, but sounds real enough that people might just think it exists somewhere, and that only "real music lovers" would know about it and appreciate it.  It's the same sort of mentality..."you obviously aren't as awesome as I am because I listen to/play something terribly obscure that your pea-brained, non-Ivy League education couldn't hope to comprehend, what with your 7-11 Halo Edition Slurpees and your Tekken-brand monocles.  This is MY piece of nostalgia, and you'd NEVER understand it like I do."

But then, we all have our weird, obscure loves, I guess.  I love the game Azrael's Tear and the movie Rock & Rule, but I don't go insulting every game or movie made before or since then.  I only insult the ones that deserve it. ;D
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:43 AM »
Wow, it is a shame when people cannot leave the '80's....... our Forbes guy probably typed (yes typed) out his review while listening to Huey Lewis and the News.   

I only have one use for Huey Lewis and the News

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 03:44:25 AM »
My favorite part of the article:  "The best gaming platform of all time is undoubtedly the Atari 2600."  Hahahaha!  Because we all know it's the Super Nintendo.  ;)

...reminds me of an old Something Awful article that David Thorpe wrote, claiming that no one had heard of his favorite band, called Egyptian Head, and he recommended their third album "Pure Sophistication."  Obviously, the band is fake, but sounds real enough that people might just think it exists somewhere, and that only "real music lovers" would know about it and appreciate it...
Sounds like an article on hipsters from The Onion to me.
Oh!  And Bob...  I saw the picture.  Didn't recognize it.  Read the post.  Thought for a moment.  Then.... zing!  Got it!  Brilliant, good sir!   :clap:
Now you'll have to excuse me.  I have to return some video tapes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:49:29 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »
Wow, it is a shame when people cannot leave the '80's....... our Forbes guy probably typed (yes typed) out his review while listening to Huey Lewis and the News.   

I only have one use for Huey Lewis and the News

Is that Christian Bale as one of those creepy battery people from the comercials?