Author Topic: The Simpsons seems to be skipping a few seasons on DVD.  (Read 8154 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
The Simpsons seems to be skipping a few seasons on DVD.
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
Seven, to be exact.

I guess they want to be like the other current shows that weren't already more than a decade running when TV shows started to come out on DVD.  So The Simpsons season 20 is coming out in January 2010.

No word on when seasons 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, or 19 will be out.

This kind of break in the order hurts my brain... That gap is going to be open for years.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: The Simpsons seems to be skipping a few seasons on DVD.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
Seven, to be exact.

I guess they want to be like the other current shows that weren't already more than a decade running when TV shows started to come out on DVD.  So The Simpsons season 20 is coming out in January 2010.

This kind of break in the order hurts my brain... That gap is going to be open for years.

They want to get the High def stuff out faster. 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
It's not really a big mystery. The latest season is the first to be produced in a modern manner- HDTV support, widescreen,a blu-ray release as well, etc. So Fox wanted it out in the wild fairly quickly. And most of the accounts that I've seen have theorized that the new seasons will get released in August-ish, as Fox  likes to do that to promote the DVD sets as the new season arrives, with the older season about 6 months out from whenever the new season hits.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
Seven, to be exact.

Your maturity stuns me, Isaac Part Deux.

I'm not the one butting into other threads and antagonizing people for not conforming to my neurotic desires.  I deleted the last thread after you douchebaged all over it.  Just FYI, I'm going to continue posting topics with your permission or without.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Oh for crying out loud.  Two nasty threads about the same thing. 

Well any way I am pretty sure seasons 13-20 will be coming to DvD.  I don't think you have to worry.  In the meantime we have Blu-Ray Simpsons to look forward to.  Not too bad if you ask me.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »

Russell

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »

This is why I've sworn that I will try and treat people in forums the same way I will treat them in real life.
As for the Simpsons thing... that's bizarre, but I guess it makes sense. Then again, I don't think
it does! I mean why would ANYONE want to get cartoons in high definition anyway?! Maybe I'm missing
something, but that just makes no sense to me!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:01:43 PM »
I mean why would ANYONE want to get cartoons in high definition anyway?! Maybe I'm missing
something, but that just makes no sense to me!

Smoother lines, clearer image, a highly visual medium made to look better.

Makes sense to me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:20:47 PM »
Also now widescreen so that is even more picture information.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »
Heh, i remeber in the liner notes to the 1st season DVD, Matt Greoning joked about it:

"Welcome to the first of many deluxe overpriced DVD sets of The Simpsons. With 280-odd shows in the can and no end in sight, you might be able to complete your Simpsons DVD collection just before the next format comes along."

It was obviously Fox's decision to skip.  Personally, i don't know why they just 13-19 on BD and skip the DVD versions all together.

Russell

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »
Smoother lines, clearer image, a highly visual medium made to look better.
Makes sense to me.
Well i've seen cartoons in HD and... they don't look any better to me.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
Heh, i remeber in the liner notes to the 1st season DVD, Matt Greoning joked about it:

"Welcome to the first of many deluxe overpriced DVD sets of The Simpsons. With 280-odd shows in the can and no end in sight, you might be able to complete your Simpsons DVD collection just before the next format comes along."

It was obviously Fox's decision to skip.  Personally, i don't know why they just 13-19 on BD and skip the DVD versions all together.

No... I don't want to go buy a Blu Ray disc player.  I'm fine with the picture quality on my DVD player.  Abandoning VHS for DVD makes sense for plenty of reasons (skipping around through chapters instead of fast forwarding, less physical storage space needed, more durable medium, better picture), but Blu-Ray doesn't offer anything more than better picture quality.  I really hope nobody starts abandoning DVD.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 06:37:09 PM »
I only really watch DvD for rifftrax and tvshows that are not on Blu ray any more.  Also have you heard the sound on Blu Ray it's like night and day when compared to DvD.  The uncompressed sound is another great feature.  Not to mention a lot of old movies are getting restoration work done to them for the Blu ray release(at last.).  Blu Ray is a huge step up if you have an HDTV.  Trust me DvDs start to look blurry on screens larger then 32 inches.  Also take a look at The Venture Brothers,Futurama,and South Park for animated TV shows that look much better on Blu Ray.

For movies anything by Disney looks amazing on Blu Ray.  It truly is a step up and i don't see why it would bother you that someone else would choose to upgrade.  If you don't want to that is fine but there is no need to fly off the handle just because movies and Tv shows are getting released on Blu ray or because other people are buying them.   

Also I would like to point out that NO ONE is releasing movies ONLY on Blue Ray,The Simpsons season 20 is coming to DvD to same as every other release.  Also fox has not said that they will not be releasing the past season,there is going to be a huge gag between HD releases of The Simpsons it would be stupid not to fill the gap with no HD releases.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
its all moot anyway, becuase if you really wanted to get seasons 13-19, there is this the called the internet.  One could, in theory, be able to find those season in varying degrees of quality........just sayin....

spaceforarent

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 07:32:13 PM »
its all moot anyway, becuase if you really wanted to get seasons 13-19, there is this the called the internet.  One could, in theory, be able to find those season in varying degrees of quality........just sayin....
Just without the cut portions for tv edit. And no special features, like the commentaries.