login

Author Topic: Mike Nelson: Predictor of Swine Flu epidemic?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline space_mutiny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 42
  • Dream busted
Mike Nelson: Predictor of Swine Flu epidemic?
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
So I was watching the MST version of "Angels Revenge" for the 87th time yesterday, and for the first time I noticed that Mike Nelson makes a reference to Swine Flu (I was too distracted by the jiggling to notice it the first 86 viewings). Didn't they just invent Swine Flu like a couple of years ago? Is Mike Nelson a latter day Nostradamus?
Oh bite me, it's fun!

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
Re: Mike Nelson: Predictor of Swine Flu epidemic?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
There was an earlier virus known as swing flu, circa 1976.  A whole lot of panic was whipped up about it, and a crash vaccination program implemented.  The epidemic turned out to be a double nothingburger with cheese, and the vaccine probably killed more people than the flu itself.

I'm not saying that's happening again ... but yes, a bit of perspective might be in order.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
and the vaccine probably killed more people than the flu itself.

got any hard numbers to back up that ridiculous claim?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
Actually, swine flu dates to much earlier than the 1976 outbreak-that-wasn't.  There was a pandemic in 1918 that killed tens of millions, though some researchers now believe that was actually bird flu.

and the vaccine probably killed more people than the flu itself.

got any hard numbers to back up that ridiculous claim?

Ridiculous claim?  I thought that was pretty much common knowledge at this point.  Oh, well.  Have some hard numbers.

The 1976 strain of swine flu killed one person.  532 people developed Guillain-Barre syndrome after having received the vaccine, and epidemiological evidence indicates that many of these cases were directly related to the vaccination.  25 of them died; perhaps not all of those 25 got their GBS from the vaccine, but it only takes two to beat the one guy who died from the virus.

Offline space_mutiny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 42
  • Dream busted
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 05:37:56 PM »
Interesting stuff. I'm still convinced Mike Nelson has magical abilities, however.
Oh bite me, it's fun!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
There was a joke about Swine Flu in an episode of the 70s Sitcom The Good Life.  Not sure what year that episode aired but it was well known enough at that point for Tom Good to make a joke about it.

Remember when it was Bird Flu that was going to kill us all,before that is was anthrax,and before that it was y2k?

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
Remember when it was Bird Flu that was going to kill us all,before that is was anthrax,and before that it was y2k?

Don't forget your old pal, SARS!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »

Don't forget your old pal, SARS!

And trans-fat.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 08:56:07 PM »
How could i have forgotten SARS.  Man I hate the way the media is always trying to panic people.  Makes me wonder if maybe the news should only be reported once a week or something.  Maybe then they wouldn't need panics to try and fill up time.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »
How could i have forgotten SARS.  Man I hate the way the media is always trying to panic people.  Makes me wonder if maybe the news should only be reported once a week or something.  Maybe then they wouldn't need panics to try and fill up time.

If the news was only reported once a week, how would we keep up with the recent spate of deadly shark attacks?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
Interesting stuff. I'm still convinced Mike Nelson has magical abilities, however.

Whether its related to predicting potential pandemic panics (say THAT five times fast) or not I think we can all agree with that.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »

Whether its related to predicting potential pandemic panics (say THAT five times fast) or not I think we can all agree with that.

Anything's possible in the world of magic!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:11:21 AM »
Makes me wonder if maybe the news should only be reported once a week or something. 

Well maybe a few times a day would work. Actually it still is reported that way and the rest is filler, oh so very many items of filler.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:11:58 AM »
I know that really wouldn't work I am just saying sometimes I get fed up with these people trying to panic us just so they have something to fill the pages of the paper or fill the almost 6 hours of news we get a day on networks.  Don't even get me started on any of the 24 hour news networks.