login

Author Topic: Barnes and Noble to release new e-reader  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
Barnes and Noble to release new e-reader
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »
NEW YORK (AP) - Barnes & Noble Inc. is expected to unveil an electronic-book reader to compete with Amazon.com's Kindle in the still-small arena where some see book-selling's future playing out.

The New York Times reported that the reader, to be announced Tuesday in New York, will be called the "Nook" and sell for $259. The newspaper cited an ad set running in its book review section Sunday.

New York-based Barnes & Noble did not return calls. It launched an online store in July that sells versions of books for mobile devices and PCs. Sony also offers an e-reader, and IREX Technologies Inc. and Plastic Logic Ltd. will offer e-readers shortly.

Forrester Research predicts 3 million e-readers will sell in the U.S. in 2009, with sales doubling in 2010.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Thoughts?

I have considered getting myself a Kindle or one of the Sony readers, but am curious about this new one. Anyone have an e-reader and think that its worth the cost?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:51:31 AM by Brak »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Barnes and Noble to release new e-reader
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
Still not seen one that makes me want to buy it.

spaceforarent

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
I would probably get an e-reader if they actually had reasonably lower prices for the books. From what I've seen it's only a savings of about $5. Meaning you have to buy almost 60 books to actually have it pay off. And that's assuming it never breaks. Sure, something could be said about the convenience of having so many books with you, but do you ever really switch between readings so often? Might as well just carry the one you're reading.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »
Truly the greatest application would be as some sort of portable legal library or used by some other profession where there is a need for many many documents to refer to.

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
Truly the greatest application would be as some sort of portable legal library or used by some other profession where there is a need for many many documents to refer to.

Yeah that would make a lot of sense. i still havent justified buying one yet, but my little brother really wants to get one, but he reads a book in like a day or two, so if he was taking a long trip then i guess it would be good for him, but he isnt an average person

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »
i'd like to see an e-reader in canada. :\ it'd be real handy for all the papers i have to read.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Doctor Who?

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 02:22:10 PM »
NEW YORK (AP) - Barnes & Noble Inc. is expected to unveil an electronic-book reader to compete with Amazon.com's Kindle in the still-small arena where some see book-selling's future playing out.

The New York Times reported that the reader, to be announced Tuesday in New York, will be called the "Nook" and sell for $259. The newspaper cited an ad set running in its book review section Sunday.

New York-based Barnes & Noble did not return calls. It launched an online store in July that sells versions of books for mobile devices and PCs. Sony also offers an e-reader, and IREX Technologies Inc. and Plastic Logic Ltd. will offer e-readers shortly.

Forrester Research predicts 3 million e-readers will sell in the U.S. in 2009, with sales doubling in 2010.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Thoughts?

I have considered getting myself a Kindle or one of the Sony readers, but am curious about this new one. Anyone have an e-reader and think that its worth the cost?

I love how much that looks like the Pads on Star Trek.

Any way if I went on the road a lot I think I would buy one,it looks easier than taking every book you mite want to read with me.  But I don't go on the raod so I have no interest in one right now.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
I'm buying the Nook for my wife for Christmas.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
Sure, something could be said about the convenience of having so many books with you, but do you ever really switch between readings so often?

I do.  I tend to read sometimes as many as 20 books at a time.  Though I can't really see getting one of these unless there was some way you could get books you already own onto without having to re-buy them.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
i think the Nook is really really nice. but well, i too would want to know any thoughts about this one. it has just been released. it needs to still be tested.

hemansfuzzybritches

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »
I've always been somewhat of an early adopter. I bought the Rocket eBook Reader several years ago. It actually worked quite well, but the problem was that there was little support from publishers and so the available library was quite small. Plus, there was a format war between Rocket Book, the Microsoft Reader, and Adobe. Publishers would make exclusive deals with one or the other, further reducing what was available to a particular format. On top of that, the eBooks themselves cost around the same as a hardcover book, which made little sense to me. I'd assumed when I bought it that I would be able to pick up books for at least the cost of a paperback.

I've seen the Kindle while perusing Amazon.com. It looks nice, but I doubt I'd ever buy it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for fiction eBooks. What demand there is is mainly towards technical manuals, text books, and dictionaries. Other than portability, that's the real strength of eBook. You can do keyword searches to find the information you want and then go about your day, but the Internet makes this a somewhat obsolete notion as you can Google most anything. While, I know nothing about the Nook, I assume that it will have its own proprietary format that's incompatible with Kindle and another format war will begin.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
I thought about buying the book because our local library has started loaning out ebooks.  Only the Sony Reader can use them now (Kindle is more proprietary).  The  nook should be able to too.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
eh, never could get into the e-readers.  The couple of books that i tend to read, i'll usually read little parts here and there, maybe a chapter or two every couple of days.  I usually just peruse the paperback sections, or check the B&N for the discounted table, and usually pick up a hardback for 10 bucks or so.  Dropping $300 and then however much else for e-books wouldn't be cost effective for me.  If that makes me old-fashioned, so be it.   But i honestly don't see printed books going away anytime soon. 

Offline Halifirien

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • One nation under Doom
    • Random Notes
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
I've had my Nook about a week now and I'm enjoying it. I read all of Brian Keene's Dark Hollow yesterday and didn't get eyestrain, so that's good. The updates they've pushed out since launch have fixed the worst of the bugs, although there are a few more to handle. I'll be happy when their ebook selection matches the Kindle's, but Amazon has been in the digital game longer.