login

Author Topic: Killer Klowns From Outer Space  (Read 4653 times)

Offline _rtfg54

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
« on: October 19, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
I suggest the 1988 B-Movie classic, Killer Klowns From Outer Space. One of the campiest films I've ever seen, and ripe for the riffing.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
Re: Killer Klowns From Outer Space
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »
wouldn't work. It is mocking the genre. No need ot mock it as it doesn't take itself serious. It is great on it's own.

Offline outsiderjc

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »
wouldn't work. It is mocking the genre. No need ot mock it as it doesn't take itself serious. It is great on it's own.

same could be said for Hobgoblins...one of the best MST3K episodes ever. I would totally endorse them doing a Killer Clowns riff.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »

same could be said for Hobgoblins...one of the best MST3K episodes ever. I would totally endorse them doing a Killer Clowns riff.
Hobgoblins tried to self-mocking but wasn't funny or even interesting.  That's the difference.

Offline Blue Raja

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
  • Not Knifey Boy or Stab-Man.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »

Hobgoblins tried to self-mocking but wasn't funny or even interesting.  That's the difference.

Gotta agree here.  On the surface, it certainly does seem like a movie tailor-made for riffing (all it took was seeing the cover for me to think it should be riffed...at first!)...but upon watching it, it really does have a layer of genuine humor/self-awareness that would likely neutralize any stretch of riffing attempts.  Just too redundant to riff it, really.

Then again, I personally enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean riff, which is also self-aware and, to a degree at least, poking fun at the genre with genuine humor.  But I tend to think that was about the limit as far as comedy-in-movies goes for riffing.  Overall Klowns is a significantly "less-serious" movie than that, so I still don't believe it would work overall.  I'm sure certain scenes could be riffed beautifully, though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:24:33 PM by Blue Raja »
Featuring the taxpayer-funded efforts of Blue Raja, Hellcat, and Skyroniter!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
I think the key here is to not make fun of the jokes, but make fun of the story and/or characters instead. Making fun of the humor only works when the humor is universally bad (as Hobgoblins and Catalina Caper). Here, the Klowns were certainly taken as a real threat by the characters, so I think it would work.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 142
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »

Gotta agree here.  On the surface, it certainly does seem like a movie tailor-made for riffing (all it took was seeing the cover for me to think it should be riffed...at first!)...but upon watching it, it really does have a layer of genuine humor/self-awareness that would likely neutralize any stretch of riffing attempts.  Just too redundant to riff it, really.

Then again, I personally enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean riff, which is also self-aware and, to a degree at least, poking fun at the genre with genuine humor.  But I tend to think that was about the limit as far as comedy-in-movies goes for riffing.  Overall Klowns is a significantly movie than that, so I still don't believe it would work overall.  I'm sure certain scenes could be riffed beautifully, though.

I'm in agreement. I really can't see this one working very well. This film has a quirky charm to it and it definitely mocks itself during the entire movie. There are much better candidates out there in the schlock horror genre that would warrant a riffing treatment.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:24:46 PM »
Campy?  I wish I'd figured that out in the early 90s.  That movie terrified me when I was a kid.  No joke.  It gave me nightmares.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »
Here, the Klowns were certainly taken as a real threat by the characters, so I think it would work.

Of course they're taking them as a real threat!  The Klowns encase people inside cotton candy cocoons.  THEY ALL DIE.  That's threatening.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
What are you going to do with those pies boys?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

Oh God the flesh eating disintegrating pies.  *curls up in a corner crying*

Offline Hor-RIFF-ic Productions

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
  • Blah blah BLAHHHH!!!!
    • Hor-RIFF-ic Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »

Oh God the flesh eating disintegrating pies.  *curls up in a corner crying*

I was always put off by the popcorn that moved on it's own only to spawn horrid clown puppets!  :speechless:
You'll DIE Laughing!

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 06:35:13 AM »
Come on one of the clowns made a balloon doggie to track the main characters. A BALLOON DOGGIE!!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
Come on one of the clowns made a balloon doggie to track the main characters. A BALLOON DOGGIE!!

Didn't one of them make a shadow puppet that ate a group of people?

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE NOT FIND ALL THIS TERRIFYING?

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »

Didn't one of them make a shadow puppet that ate a group of people?

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE NOT FIND ALL THIS TERRIFYING?
It's clever and it is creepy...  Like we're saying - it's a good movie.

But you can't approach it like a Casablanca because it's a comedy.