Author Topic: Good Eats 10th Anniversary show  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
Good Eats 10th Anniversary show
« on: October 11, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
I've been a fan of the show for this many years and I've learned a lot of things from Alton Brown. But, I've only got 2 things to comment about the special 1 hour show.

1. That was easily the nerdiest thing I've ever seen in my life. And no, that's not a compliment.

2. I never realized until this show how thoroughly full of himself Alton is. (I hypothesize that was greatly bolstered by his recent weight loss. You know, most people look younger when they lose weight, but he managed to make himself look creepier.)
I really do like pie.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Good Eats 10th Anniversary show
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:30:20 PM »
I thought it was great. I'm bummed that I didn't even know about it when it was being taped (apparently, the tickets sold out in like an hour).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Online Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
I've been a fan of the show for this many years and I've learned a lot of things from Alton Brown. But, I've only got 2 things to comment about the special 1 hour show.

1. That was easily the nerdiest thing I've ever seen in my life. And no, that's not a compliment.

2. I never realized until this show how thoroughly full of himself Alton is. (I hypothesize that was greatly bolstered by his recent weight loss. You know, most people look younger when they lose weight, but he managed to make himself look creepier.)

Agreed.  I watch Good Eats religiously, and I was very disappointed with this.  It sort of felt like an episode of America's Funniest Home Videos.  All the dialog was forced, the behind the scenes stuff was already available in other shows, and far too much time was devoted to the annoying sister.

Offline Smoky

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »
I tuned it for about 5 minutes ( I think I was watching something else) and just saw him flipping out with Ted Allen and a water jug. It was definitely over the top but didn't exactly come off badly for me.
I know you are but what am I

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 02:38:54 PM »
I love that show.

The science can be a bit nerdy, but there are several recipes that I will use for life.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »
I keep reading this like a news headline:

GOD EATS 10TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW
350 Confirmed Dead, Many More Still Missing

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »
haha Now THAT'S news.
I really do like pie.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
It wasn't as entertaining as a usual episode.  Did think that the fruit smoothie/water fountain thing was pretty pointless. Besides a "let's do this just because they gave us the money to" aspect to it, you'll never convince me that anything treated with dry ice that directly would be safe to consume...

But it was interesting to watch.

Don't think Brown came off more "full of himself" in this.  Was disappointed that the usual supporting cast didn't get more time on stage.

Too bad they didn't do a "This is Your Life" kind of thing with the other "characters" showing up....

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »
I too love Alton Brown.  He is looking a bit like a chemo patient lately though.  The special was not my favorite episode, but I didn't expect it to be.

He used to have a blog, he may still, and he came off as full of himself in it too.  A lot of erudite people are like that, and he does have women telling him how great and sexy and smart he is all the time.  There's a big section of his fan base that would like to see him covered in his delicious homemade chocolate sauce.  Disturbing, but true.  He comes off a bit snooty in Iron Chef America too.

I recently saw "Sub Standards" for the first time though (not sure if it's new or not, I don't watch it religiously - iI know it's recent because of the way he looked) and it was great!  Reminded why I love Good Eats.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »
I too love Alton Brown.  He is looking a bit like a chemo patient lately though.  The special was not my favorite episode, but I didn't expect it to be.

Only thing is....if I understood the special correctly.  He left his job, went to culinary school and went straight into hawking this show to a network.

He's never worked as a cook/chef in his life?  I mean, not even a personal chef like Giada De Laurentiis.

But I really thought he was a cooking instructor that they talked into doing a show.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »
He always has said he's not a chef, but a cinematographer who loves food/science.  You're correct, he did graduate from the New England Culinary Institute.  His original degree is in drama, but he went back to school.  But "Good Eats" is his first cooking type job.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »
Got to give him credit then....creating this out of thin air.  And he's kept this on the air for ten years.