login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 253543 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
Re: General Game News
« Reply #930 on: April 08, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
Because I know some people here are interested in Star Citizen, I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

There are 2,700 alpha slots left out of something like 260,000. On Thursday they will be doing an in depth reveal of the dogfighting alpha at PAX East, which will be available for people with an alpha slot to play in a week or so.  I expect the rest of those slots will be gobbled up quickly after PAX.

The cheapest package with alpha access is $40, which comes with a bunch of other in game stuff as well (not to mention the full game itself, once complete).  So far the game seems increadibly promising, but in the next week or so we'll finally be able to get a real feel for how it will play. The smart shopper would wait for reviews of the alpha to come out, but I fear by that time you might be out of luck on an alpha slot.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
« Reply #931 on: April 12, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
Even though the game froze and cut the presentation short, the Star Citizen demo at PAX looks amazing.  Here's a video that cuts out all the crowd shots.  It's a shame it's only in 720p.  Would love to see it in higher res.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TWQFSzQyeM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5TWQFSzQyeM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

I'm incredibly excited for this alpha to come out in the next few weeks.  I love how they have simulated the G forces on the pilot.  In earth based flight sims you get a feel for the weight and speed of your maneuvers by how your plane fights your control input.  You can tell if your pulling a lot of Gs if it's hard to pull up.  You don't have that in space flight sims considering there is no air resistance in space, so it's awesome that they simulate the G force effects on your body to show you how extreme your turn in. 

Can't wait!

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #932 on: April 12, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »
Even though the game froze and cut the presentation short, the Star Citizen demo at PAX looks amazing.  Here's a video that cuts out all the crowd shots.  It's a shame it's only in 720p.  Would love to see it in higher res.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TWQFSzQyeM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5TWQFSzQyeM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

I'm incredibly excited for this alpha to come out in the next few weeks.  I love how they have simulated the G forces on the pilot.  In earth based flight sims you get a feel for the weight and speed of your maneuvers by how your plane fights your control input.  You can tell if your pulling a lot of Gs if it's hard to pull up.  You don't have that in space flight sims considering there is no air resistance in space, so it's awesome that they simulate the G force effects on your body to show you how extreme your turn in. 

Can't wait!

That looks incredible but very broken, as a principle I decided to not buy a game before release but I'm still very excited about this.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #933 on: April 12, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
Civilization: Beyond Earth. Drops this fall:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/12/5600008/civilization-beyond-earth-trailer-screenshots-announcement-sid-meier

Looks very Alpha-Centauri-ish...

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #934 on: April 12, 2014, 09:38:09 PM »
Yeah it's funny the Polygon interview completely skirted around SMAC talk, but other interviews have been like 'Oh yeah this is heavily influenced by SMAC'.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #935 on: April 12, 2014, 09:39:02 PM »
Civilization: Beyond Earth. Drops this fall:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/12/5600008/civilization-beyond-earth-trailer-screenshots-announcement-sid-meier

Looks very Alpha-Centauri-ish...

Saw the announcement on Kotaku. It made me moist.  ;D

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4309
« Reply #936 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #937 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
That's called SWATting. I'm acquainted with a few people who've had that done to them. Not for CoD, but for equally banal reasons. At some point, the cops rushing in with guns drawn are actually going to kill someone at which point it's going to stop being even remotely amusing.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #938 on: April 23, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »
Oh COD, when it comes to bringing out the best in the video game community, you never fail.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #939 on: April 26, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »
Poking my head in for a sec.

Microsoft is excavating the Alamgordo, NM landfill where the ET cartridges are allegedly buried right now. As in right now, right now. It's for a documentary.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #940 on: April 26, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »
Yeah, I wish I could pop down for the festivities. It's just a few hours away...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #941 on: April 26, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »
Yeah, I wish I could pop down for the festivities. It's just a few hours away...

Take the kid! Babies love landfils!

And, BTW, success!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #943 on: May 04, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
So, the Danish Geodata Agency decided to build a 1:1 model of Denmark in Minecraft...

...I'd gripe, but not Danish. If they want to waste their tax Euros on Minecraft Denmark, no skin off my back...

...and after placing 4 quadrillion bricks and opening it to the public, what happens?

Yep. People come in, blow stuff up and start putting American flags everywhere. The Danish government's response seems to be "Eh, let them have fun. It is Minecraft after all."

BTW- Flag builders? Red is always the bottom and top stripe. If you're going to troll Denmark, at least do so authentically.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #944 on: May 04, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »
They also seemed to have forgotten there are 13 stripes.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.