Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 256918 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: General Game News
« Reply #705 on: September 15, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »
Walmart tweeted this picture this morning:

But the link they provided doesn't take you to that particular bundle. Nor can I find it ANYWHERE on their site.  I replied asking if it was Xbox 360 only, and what the cost was.  The reply I got was just "Yes we do! Here you go:" with a link to the normal starter set for Xbox 360.  So I have no idea what the price is, if it's also available for PS3, Wii U, etc. or if it even exists.

**Update** After many emails back & forth from their support I've basically decided that it's just a photoshop of a product that doesn't actually exist.  They keep giving me "Here you go!" and a link to a general search of Disney infinity on their site.  Although I did get one reply of "It's probably out of stock".  So I asked "What was the cost?" and got another reply with the general search so I could "compare prices".  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:50:36 PM by k1 »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #706 on: September 15, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
Hmmmm.....

Back to the 2DS for a sec.

What's the release date? October 12.

And what comes out on that day? Gosh. It's Pokemon X & Y.

It's almost as if Nintendo thought that Pokemon fans still on the DS might want to upgrade on that date or something.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #707 on: September 15, 2013, 11:10:04 PM »
Or that they wanted to couple the release of a system with a popular game to boost both the sales. Not to mention, Pokemon is still "targeted" at younger audiences, even though they're lame and have NO idea how to train properly, and so is the 2DS. It's a clever ploy, but I'm glad I have an actual 3DS.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #708 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
Wayforward is kickstarting something in about 4 hours. There's a countdown timer on their website:

http://www.wayforward.com/

A new Shantae? Darkwing Duck Remastered? A new IP starring a scantily clad girl who looks just young enough to make you feel creepy? Only time will tell.

Edit. Whoops. Misread their timer. More like in about 5 days...

I got it in one! It's a new Shantae:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I love the Shantae games, so I'll probably throw in, but I thought the series was doing fine and wouldn't have thought it needed kickstarter support...

And an update. Inti games, who are also behind the Mighty No. 9 pseudo Mega-Man game also being Kickstarted, are also working on the Shantae game as well.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #709 on: September 18, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »
Nintendo releasing Wii Sports Club (basically Wii Sports HD) with ONLINE MULTIPLAYER! Sweet.

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/09/wii-sports-club-features-online-multiplayer/

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #710 on: September 18, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »
GTA V only sold $800 million worth of games on release day. Pshaw.

Now, if Capcom and Square were doing the accounting for GTA, they'd call this a "quite disappointing performance."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #711 on: September 18, 2013, 08:07:41 PM »
The creators of the Sega classic, Mutant League Football have emerged from the past to kickstart a new game! Mutant Football League!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mendheim/mutant-football-league

Not going great, so far, but I'm rooting for it!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #712 on: September 19, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
Aw, crap.

The folks who own Altus (Persona, Disgaea etc.) are having severe financial problems and are trying to liquidate Altus for some cash.  Stay afloat ! I need Disgaea D-2 and Persona 5!

Well, this has been resolved now. The new owners of Atlus will be, as of November 1st.... Sega.

Hopefully this is good news. (crosses fingers)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #713 on: September 19, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
Hiroshi Yamauchi, President of Nintendo from 1949 - 2002 has died.  He continued to serve as a board member after his retirement.  He could pretty rightfully be called the father of modern video games having really spearheaded the revival of the game industry after Atari almost killed it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/nintendo-video-game-pioneer-hiroshi-yamauchi-dies-85-4B11197349

Former Nintendo Co Ltd President Hiroshi Yamauchi, who built the company into a video game giant from a maker of playing cards during more than half a century at the helm, died on Thursday of pneumonia, the company said. He was 85.

Yamauchi was the third-generation head of the family-run business, founded in the ancient Japanese capital of Kyoto in 1889 as a maker of playing cards, and served as president from 1949 until 2002. He was an executive adviser to the company at the time of his death.

Under his leadership, the company developed the Famicom home game console and the Game Boy handheld player that helped to usher in the era of home game machines, which in more recent years has been dominated by Nintendo's Wii, Sony Corp's PlayStation, Microsoft Corp's Xbox.

Yamauchi was listed by Forbes magazine as Japan's richest man just five years ago, when Nintendo was flying high with the launch of the Wii with its motion-sensing controller, although the company's fortunes have since faded as smartphones displace consoles among gamers. His net worth at that time was estimated at $7.8 billion.

He was ranked 13th on the latest Forbes Japan list released this year, with an estimated net worth of $2.1 billion.

Yamauchi bought the Seattle Mariners U.S. major league baseball team in 1992 when the franchise was struggling, although it was later taken over by Nintendo of America Inc.

IGN also brought up an article they wrote on the mans life a few years ago.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/25/hiroshi-yamauchi-nintendos-legendary-president

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #714 on: September 19, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
Hiroshi Yamauchi, President of Nintendo from 1949 - 2002 has died.  He continued to serve as a board member after his retirement.  He could pretty rightfully be called the father of modern video games having really spearheaded the revival of the game industry after Atari almost killed it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/nintendo-video-game-pioneer-hiroshi-yamauchi-dies-85-4B11197349

Former Nintendo Co Ltd President Hiroshi Yamauchi, who built the company into a video game giant from a maker of playing cards during more than half a century at the helm, died on Thursday of pneumonia, the company said. He was 85.

Yamauchi was the third-generation head of the family-run business, founded in the ancient Japanese capital of Kyoto in 1889 as a maker of playing cards, and served as president from 1949 until 2002. He was an executive adviser to the company at the time of his death.

Under his leadership, the company developed the Famicom home game console and the Game Boy handheld player that helped to usher in the era of home game machines, which in more recent years has been dominated by Nintendo's Wii, Sony Corp's PlayStation, Microsoft Corp's Xbox.

Yamauchi was listed by Forbes magazine as Japan's richest man just five years ago, when Nintendo was flying high with the launch of the Wii with its motion-sensing controller, although the company's fortunes have since faded as smartphones displace consoles among gamers. His net worth at that time was estimated at $7.8 billion.

He was ranked 13th on the latest Forbes Japan list released this year, with an estimated net worth of $2.1 billion.

Yamauchi bought the Seattle Mariners U.S. major league baseball team in 1992 when the franchise was struggling, although it was later taken over by Nintendo of America Inc.

IGN also brought up an article they wrote on the mans life a few years ago.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/25/hiroshi-yamauchi-nintendos-legendary-president

RIP, Yamauchi-sama. Your company was responsible for a lot of happiness in my childhood.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2615
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #715 on: September 19, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »
RIP, Yamauchi-sama. Your company was responsible for a lot of happiness in my childhood.

And my adulthood.
FINE

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #716 on: September 19, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »

And my adulthood.

Haven't really been into Nintendo's more recent offerings, but I played the hell out of my NES and SNES back in the day.

That said, my kids love their Wii and want a Wii U now that the Wii's starting to go out.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:47:27 PM by MSTJedi »

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #717 on: September 19, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »

And my adulthood.

Haven't really been into Nintendo's more recent offerings, but I played the hell out of my NES and SNES back in the day.

That said, my kids love their Wii and want a Wii U now that the Wii's starting to go out.

Say, shhh, children. Not until the new Smash Bros.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2615
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #718 on: September 19, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
LOVE the Wii U.
FINE

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #719 on: September 19, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »

And my adulthood.

Say, shhh, children. Not until the new Smash Bros.

The only problem is that I mean that our Wii itself is actually going out. It doesn't play Wii discs, but it still plays Gamecube games, so at least they have those. Netflix still works, too, luckily. So instead of possibly getting a PS3 this Christmas to catch up with all those exclusives, we'll most likely get a Wii U first. It's how it happened with the Wii and Xbox 360, actually. Got the Wii to placate the kids (and wife) and eventually got a 360 once I had the money for it.