login

Author Topic: Idiocracy (Mike Judge's new movie)  (Read 5821 times)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 242
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: Idiocracy (Mike Judge's new movie)
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »
I've been looking forward to this since I read the premise in a magazine preview. Then the movie just never came out. Because "From the creator of Office Space" wouldn't have brought people to the theaters in droves?

Someone suggested this was part of a good-natured rivalry between Mike Judge and fellow Fox cartoon creator Matt Groening, what with the similarity with the basic premise of Futurama. Conspiracy nuts...

Yeah those people are kinda... well, that's not the premise of the movie. It's almost the opposite - in Futurama, Fry struggled daily to understand and keep up with the future. He was barely a grunt. Whereas in Idiocracy, Luke Wilson wakes up to find he's the smartest man in the world, or at least, country. Which these days isn't too far off.

So I guess I'm confused as to where those conspiracy nuts got their information?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 11:08:14 PM »
Anyone seen this or know if its supposed to be good?

Plot Summary: The Animation Show is an international collection of the world's best animated short films, programmed by co-producers Mike Judge and Don Hertzfeldt... http://imdb.com/title/tt0372763/

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2884
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 01:45:53 AM »
I have to say, the Amazon.com plot keywords don't give me a high amount of hope for this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Idiocracy-Luke-Wilson/dp/fun-facts/B000K7VHOG/ref=imdbdpsl_ak_1/002-0001829-4616842#keywords
Your feedback does, though. Maybe I'll check this out... :^)

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 01:59:12 PM »
   Just got my pre-ordered copy on Saturday and it definitely has potential for re-watching to catch all the background jokes on the signage, etc. like the variation on Fudruckers.  At only 80 minutes, it's probably about the right length to keep from dragging out the premise too far.
   While Luke Wilson plays the smartest man in this future, his inability to catch on to the occupation of Maya Rudolph's character helps remind us that he is only an average man in our time.
    Highest potential for some folks' criticism might be a seeming connection between stupidity and wrestling fans, but I'll let them decide whether that exists in this movie.  But Judge definitely got screwed by the distributors not giving this movie a chance in the theaters.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 04:21:43 AM »
Highest potential for some folks' criticism might be a seeming connection between stupidity and wrestling fans, but I'll let them decide whether that exists in this movie. 

I know a few smart wrestling fans, but I can't help but think that they'd be even smarter if they didn't care about that tripe. I'm probably wrong, but that's one form of "entertainment" that irks me.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 06:17:12 AM »
Highest potential for some folks' criticism might be a seeming connection between stupidity and wrestling fans, but I'll let them decide whether that exists in this movie. 

I know a few smart wrestling fans, but I can't help but think that they'd be even smarter if they didn't care about that tripe. I'm probably wrong, but that's one form of "entertainment" that irks me.

Lucha Libre on the other hand, is awesome.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »

Yeah, but Mexican wrestling is something else entirely and indeed quite awesome in its own way.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 12:42:03 AM »

Yeah, but Mexican wrestling is something else entirely and indeed quite awesome in its own way.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 06:04:14 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying.
And I was underlining it quite severely.

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 06:17:39 AM »
I just got a chance to watch Idiocracy over the weekend.  It was pretty good (in a Grandma's Boy sort of way), but I can see why it hit the rocket sled to the rental rack.

'merica don't like no mirror be'n held up to its face showen it how it reely is.

also, THEY TOOOK OUR JOOOBS! ;)

Offline NickE

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Official Creepy Old Guy (tm) of the RiffTrax Forum
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 10:06:24 AM »
And nobody's yet mentioned Idiocracy's Executive Producer?

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 10:09:32 AM »
Yeah... I thought that was funny... but I doubted it was OUR Mike.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 242
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 10:39:37 AM »

also, THEY TOOOK OUR JOOOBS! ;)

If you don't like it, you kin' GIIIT OUUUT!

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 10:27:09 AM »
I just got a chance to watch Idiocracy over the weekend.  It was pretty good (in a Grandma's Boy sort of way), but I can see why it hit the rocket sled to the rental rack.

x2. some parts were funny,but there was something missing.  I don't know what, but something was definitely missing.  It reminding me of 'Canadian Bacon',although not as funny. (I live near Detroit,so the Canada jokes are funnier here :)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1371
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 09:49:56 PM »
Just finished watching this based on the recommendations here.  I really enjoyed it.  I didn't feel anything was missing like I do in a lot of high concept comedies.  It was funny, the characters were interesting and somewhat round, and the message was well put. 

Another thing I liked about it was the art direction, namely when it came to cgi.  Normally I don't like cgi.  I just saw Pan's Labrynth, and even though it looked pretty, the cgi still looked like cgi.  But in Idiocracy the cgi was very cartoony, and made no attempt to be anything but cgi.  That way i was able to enjoy the cgi for what it was and stop saying "it's nice, but it still looks like cgi."