Author Topic: mrbasehart's screencap quiz!  (Read 44047 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7408
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: mrbasehart's screencap quiz!
« Reply #855 on: August 10, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »
#2 is clerks (that's kevin smith's mom! :) )
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 488
« Reply #856 on: August 10, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »
#1 - that's Betty Grabel in Coney Island (1943)

is #5 Little Fugitive?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:30:25 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6645
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #857 on: August 10, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
I have no idea what #1 is, but that horse makes it look like something Rifftrax should be riffing. Yikes!

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #858 on: August 10, 2020, 12:16:11 PM »
I have no idea what #1 is, but that horse makes it look like something Rifftrax should be riffing. Yikes!

I've seen the movie, and that horse was good old fashioned nightmare fuel indeed.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #859 on: August 10, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »
#2 is Clerks.

#1 is Coney Island. And despite that one scene, the rest of the film is a standard golden era musical. Here is the scene that capture came from:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GNwe4bY4d-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GNwe4bY4d-o</a>

#5 is Little Fugitive. Both of these films are two of the four films that fit into the same category.

#1 Coney Island ( 1943 )
#2 Clerks ( 1994 )
#5 Little Fugitive ( 1953 )

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3415
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #860 on: August 10, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
Is 6 The Taking of Pelham One Two Three?

I suspect 3 is another Kevin Smith movie - Dogma maybe?

FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #861 on: August 10, 2020, 05:53:23 PM »
#6 is not  any version of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. It is a popular movie you very likely have seen, and a scene you very likely remember. But it is not a film about hijacking a subway train. At least two of the films shown here are memorable scenes from very popular films that I am surprised no one got immediately.

#3 is not Dogma. Only one Kevin Smith movie in this game, and someone got it already. Nice catch on the skee ball though, as it was central to the Dogma plot. But that was just a coincident.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #862 on: August 10, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »
I've never seen the movie, but I have seen the trailer, and it's really on the nose

#3 - Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God...Be Back by Five

#10 - what have I seen that features the Wonder Wheel? Is it Remo Williams, The Adventure Begins?

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #863 on: August 10, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »
#3 Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God...Be Back by Five
Correct.

#10 is not Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. I've been meaning to buy that film as part of my martial arts collection. Never actually saw the film. I do know it had the fight on the scaffolding for the Statue of Liberty. That was the scene they showed in all the trailers, and whenever one of the actors wee on a talk show promoting the film.

#1 Coney Island ( 1943 )
#2 Clerks ( 1994 )
#3 Went To Coney Island on a Mission From God....Be Back By Five ( 1998 )

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
« Reply #864 on: August 11, 2020, 07:20:11 PM »

Is #4 Leap of Faith? (looks like a big tent revival thing there)

Is #7 The Craft? (I remember 4 girls out in a storm, this only has 3... but I'll throw it out there anyway)

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #865 on: August 11, 2020, 08:33:49 PM »
Is 6 Risky Business?
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #866 on: August 11, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »
Is #4 Leap of Faith? (looks like a big tent revival thing there}

Wow. And I thought the blue neon cross was too far in the background to identify in this shot.  Yes, it is Leap of Faith. I wasn't sure anyone here had seen this film, and the only way to figure out what film this came from was to look up how many movies were filmed at the Golden Spread Motel.

Is #7 The Craft? (I remember 4 girls out in a storm, this only has 3... but I'll throw it out there anyway)

Come on. This definitely does not match up with the beach scene from The Craft. Wrong color palate. And no special effects. And I am pretty sure they were standing in a circle. So no, it is not from The Craft. But this is from a film about four girls, one which is not in this scene.

Is 6 Risky Business?

Yes! This is the beginning of the famous "Sex on a Train" scene. They are waiting for that drunk to leave while Phil Collins In The Air Tonight plays over the soundtrack. A song which has just reentered the pop charts this week and is on track to take the #1 position, all thanks to being used in a YouTube video. I am surprised no one got this right away. I was originally going to show the Old Town Rock N Roll scene, show the room just before Tom slides into frame, but thought it would be too hard to get because it looks like any house set from any movie.

#1 Coney Island ( 1943 )
#2 Clerks ( 1994 )
#3 Went To Coney Island on a Mission From God....Be Back By Five ( 1998 )
#4 Leap of Faith ( 1992 )
#6 Risky Business ( 1983 )

Offline Temporary George

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #867 on: August 11, 2020, 09:50:01 PM »
I haven't seen Risky Business (nor did I like it) since it's release, so I had no clue on that. I also haven't seen the Craft since, what '96? I mean, how would I remember the color palate for Christmas sake  ;D

Things stick with me more if I enjoyed the movie (like big brothers stripped shirt in Little Fugitive, It had little stripes at the top, thicker stripes at the bottom…. now why I'd remember that odd little detail is beyond me.)

I also used to work at a video/dvd store and we'd have trailers playing all day... and while I have seen the movie, the Leap of Faith trailer is one of those I had to listen to and see hour after hour. So the tent in the middle of nowhere was what stuck out for me (plus the lil blue cross, once it caught my eye)

The Wonder Wheel, I looked it up and man there are a bunch of movies set at Coney Island with that wheel seen at various angles. I could just spit out titles all day and hope I hit on one. But I'm going to try to do some more research. Saying that, why not guess the obvious...

#10 - Woody Allen's Wonder Wheel?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:52:13 PM by Temporary George »

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #868 on: August 11, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
I don't really think it is, but I'll take a punt - is #9 Super 8?
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #869 on: August 12, 2020, 05:56:36 AM »
I haven't seen Risky Business (nor did I like it) since it's release, so I had no clue on that. I also haven't seen the Craft since, what '96? I mean, how would I remember the color palate for Christmas sake 

When The Craft was originally released in theaters, MTV was promoting it all the time, including showing the clip of the girls on the beach al the time. ALL THE TIME! The one thing I did remember of it was that it had a dark color palate, probably to cover up the cheap visual effects.  Other than that my memories of the scene is not perfect. It turns out that even though the girls were in the middle of a storm, it didn't actually rain on them.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sXw6P3uIpWE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sXw6P3uIpWE</a>

The Wonder Wheel, I looked it up and man there are a bunch of movies set at Coney Island with that wheel seen at various angles. I could just spit out titles all day and hope I hit on one. But I'm going to try to do some more research. Saying that, why not guess the obvious...
#10 - Woody Allen's Wonder Wheel?

No. Actually I chose this shot because A] the cast wasn't in the shot, which would have been a giveaway... and B] the building in between the Wonder Wheel and Parachute Jump ( red tower in the background )  It is probably the most memorable building from the film, thanks to a publicity photo for the film, even though you never see the building at that angle in the film. It is also the same building the boys are walking towards in the Little Fugitive screen cap.

I don't really think it is, but I'll take a punt - is #9 Super 8?

It is not Super 8. It is a film I thought most people here had seen due to the director. The train wreck is just a minor part of the film.