login

Author Topic: Aqua Teen Hunger Force (The Movie) coming in March  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force (The Movie) coming in March
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »

I bought Pak a "Rat's Off To Ya" shirt for Christmas last year. I snicker everytime I see him in it.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1449
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 06:05:43 PM »
The episode of Space Ghost where ATHF first appeared is my favorite episode.  Sadly, I don't care a whole lot for their own show.  Though I do enjoy the mooninites. 

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 07:39:17 PM »
I occasionally enjoy the show, many of the episodes have genuinely funny running gags.  However, everything I've heard about this movie indicates that it will bomb.  Fans who have purportedly seen screenings say that it is perpetually unfunny.  I'm inclined to think that it will.  ATHF humor only works in small doses since the plotlines are usually improv style, evolving as gags are developed.  That simply doesn't work for 1.5 hours.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 07:51:58 PM »
Your wrong about Aqua Teen only being funny in small doses as I, and others like me, will watch the DVD seasons straight through... that said this movie has no place being released in the theaters as its true market is DVD

(it will be quite profitable though, DVD has changed the definition of "bomb")
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 07:53:52 PM by Minnesota »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3043
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 07:54:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. As for the rest of the world: 1 of 2 outcomes.

1) The world sees it and ATHF is launched into the mainstream.
2) The world sees it and doesn't get it.

Option 2 seems most likely, but opening day will probably  be the day to hit it up. Surrounded by like-minded ATHF fans will probably be the best way to see it. :^)

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »
Your wrong about Aqua Teen only being funny in small doses as I, and others like me, will watch the DVD seasons straight through... that said this movie has no place being released in the theaters as its true market is DVD

You didn't understand my statement.  The humor only works in 15 minute increments.  Like I said, the plotlines are basically improv, they evolve with the gags instead of gags going with the plot like most shows.  This doesn't work for having a long-continuous plot.  Hell, I've seen many episodes where the writers can't even make the 15 minutes.  The gags die halfway in, and the episode just kinda drags on.  So I predict the movie will be funny for 15-20, then it'll become obvious how the writers aren't quite as funny or witty as the Monty Python troupe and can't carry a movie.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 08:37:42 PM »

You didn't understand my statement.  The humor only works in 15 minute increments.  Like I said, the plotlines are basically improv, they evolve with the gags instead of gags going with the plot like most shows.  This doesn't work for having a long-continuous plot.  Hell, I've seen many episodes where the writers can't even make the 15 minutes.  The gags die halfway in, and the episode just kinda drags on.  So I predict the movie will be funny for 15-20, then it'll become obvious how the writers aren't quite as funny or witty as the Monty Python troupe and can't carry a movie.

We're walking in circles :) but even if the show has several plots (see: Family Guy: The Movie) the fans won't really care one way or the other. Although this type of unconventional movie making might piss you off or give you doubts it is a growing fad (see: Simpson's: The Movie)

Also, although it remains to be seen Futurama might be doing this as well (but it is just as likely to be broken up into a conventional season, I forgot what David X. Cohen said in his interview... anyone help me out?)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 09:31:41 PM »

We're walking in circles :) but even if the show has several plots (see: Family Guy: The Movie) the fans won't really care one way or the other. Although this type of unconventional movie making might piss you off or give you doubts it is a growing fad (see: Simpson's: The Movie)

Also, although it remains to be seen Futurama might be doing this as well (but it is just as likely to be broken up into a conventional season, I forgot what David X. Cohen said in his interview... anyone help me out?)

Futurama's the only cartoon I can see carrying a feature-length movie. The Simpsons might have been able to pull it off years ago, but I have little hope now. The Family Guy DVD "movie" was pretty lame. The show works best with the least plot possible, and you just can't sustain random wackiness for that long.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »
I recently watched all four DVD sets of ATHF and was very pleasantly surprised at the fourth volume. The first volume was a little better than 50-50 (half really good, half really bad) and the next two DVD sets decline a bit in quality, but the fourth one was almost all good. So, I'm optimistic about the movie.

Still, nothing beats the first season of Sealab 2021. Classic.

Offline Trufire

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
But Bruce Campbell is supposed to be a guest star in it. BRUCE CAMPBELL PEOPLE! lol This alone automatically upgrades it from C movie to B movie ;) Bruce is just that powerful! Of course, since he is only probably making a cameo apperance, it might still just be a C movie. After all he was in both Spiderman movies and they are rated A. Odds are is that he will only star in B movies and will only dab his foot into A and C movies.

ATHF movie is probably going to be a one weekend wonder with all the ATHF fans seeing it and then no one else really will again. That is my take on it.

The Simpsons movie I think could sustain itself but it will be pushing it a tad. It all depends on the plot I suppose.

If Family Guy comes out with a theatre movie then I think it could last 1.5 hours but it will also be pushing it. Chicken Fight for half an hour WOOO!!! lol
"I like me..." Caboose; Red vs Blue

Offline Famous Mortimer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 08:38:12 AM »
It could suck. I hated ATHF the first time I saw it but it grew on me, through catching the odd episode on TV, and now buying the DVD sets. The only Adult Swim show I never got on with was "The Venture Brothers", but I might give it another go. "Frisky Dingo" would make an awesome film, as it's pretty much laid out like a movie, in 10 minute segments.

An ATHF movie might be good, or it might suck. If the writers genuinely had an idea for a film rather than being asked by the film company and just tossing something together, it might work. Let's wait and see.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 10:15:04 AM »
I go back and forth on ATHF......  but I love(d) a couple of the shows that most people hate: Boondocks and Stroker & Hoop... i've got the first season of Boondocks on DVD and still waiting for an excuse to watch the 4 episodes with Uncle Ruckus commentary  8)

also like Tom Goes To Mayer.... but don't like Robot Chicken regardless of the Les Claypool theme song and 12 oz Mouse and I forget what else there even is on there

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 11:49:13 AM »
The only Adult Swim show I never got on with was "The Venture Brothers", but I might give it another go.

I HIGHLY reccomend you give it a chance. It takes a couple episodes to get into the Venture universe, but once you figure out how the world works, it gets better and better. It's Johnny Quest meets The Tick (Even has Ben Edlund helping out on an episode or two. :^)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
forgot about Venture Brothers, one of the best shows on there right now along with Metalocolypse... though I still miss Home Movies some...

Venture Brothers changed a lot though all of a sudden... atleast Brock has

also, +10 points to them for referencing the Residents!

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 12:28:10 PM »
forgot about Venture Brothers, one of the best shows on there right now along with Metalocolypse... though I still miss Home Movies some...

Venture Brothers changed a lot though all of a sudden... atleast Brock has

also, +10 points to them for referencing the Residents!
They can weave in pop culture references in a suble way The Simpsons and Family Guy could never dream of. :^)

And Home Movies may be coming back. On Shout Factory's Myspace page they have a post asking people to voice their support for a Straight-to-DVD season of Home Movies with the old cast and crew together again. :^)