login

Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 289995 times)

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 296
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2505 on: April 04, 2018, 09:42:22 PM »
I was watching Tru TV's "World's dumbest". Always a lot of fun, I tend to binge seasons of that over and over, and what's weird is there's 16 seasons of it for purchase on Amazon or Google play, the show as I recall was only on for about 6 years or so. It's almost like Rifftrax except the comedians are... well to put it nicely, they're a snarky bunch of people whose names you'll most likely recognize if you grew up in the 70's or 80's.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2456
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2506 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
The Good Place is amazing.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2399
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2507 on: April 13, 2018, 09:11:17 PM »
Just watched the first 2 episodes of the new Lost In Space.

It's pretty good so far, some interesting mysteries going on along with pretty good survival stuff.

Only minor complaint would be that they just couldn't resist making the family slightly dysfunctional, about the only thing I was hoping for going in was that they wouldn't go that way.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2508 on: April 13, 2018, 09:23:34 PM »
Since I am getting burnt out on my current Youtube playlist, I switched to watching even more of World's Dumbest on Amazon. Anyways just been jumping back and forth between all 16 seasons. I've bought a LOT of episodes over the years so I've got a ton of episodes. So I just play the first episode of any season and it's just continuous play until I come to an episode I haven't bought yet.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2399
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2509 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »
Watched all of the new Lost In Space, the first few are pretty good and then it gets even better.

Can't wait for season 2.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4544
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2510 on: April 15, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »
Me and a friend are watching the Last Man on Earth.  It's good, but by the fourth and fifth episodes it goes hard into cringe comedy territory.  It's still very funny but it is getting increasingly hard to watch.

Also finished the first half of the first season of The Toys That Made Us.  Mostly, it's a really good documentary series, though it occasionally induces eyerolls (most notably when it is mentioned that a certain something occurs in Asia and we hear a stereotypical musical sting.  Ugh).  I do really recommend it though.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1315
« Reply #2511 on: April 15, 2018, 02:56:51 PM »
Me and a friend are watching the Last Man on Earth.  It's good, but by the fourth and fifth episodes it goes hard into cringe comedy territory.  It's still very funny but it is getting increasingly hard to watch.

At least make it through the last episode of the first season, it's a gem.  The show has its ups and down, but overall I really like it.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2456
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2512 on: April 15, 2018, 04:40:56 PM »

At least make it through the last episode of the first season, it's a gem.  The show has its ups and down, but overall I really like it.

I love the show, but it never stops being a cringe comedy. It leans in pretty hard.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2513 on: April 15, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »

I love the show, but it never stops being a cringe comedy. It leans in pretty hard.

That’s true. But it has some really touching moments for such a goofy comedy. I also like that the character’s arc and change throughout the series. Usually on long running shows you’ll have a season arc where they improve as a person by the last episode, but then they go right back to how they were next season. Or on an episode to episode basis if you’re talking about sitcoms. But on LMOE, every character is very different from how they were introduced at this point. Except maybe one or two.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2514 on: April 16, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
Just watched a couple of episodes of the Simpsons that have a... unique connection. They're both about climbing mountains. "The King of the Hill" and "Mountains of Madness". The later is about everybody in the Power plant trying to reach a cabin on a mountain because they all failed to make it out of the power plant during a fire drill. When asked what the ideal time for evacuating the power plant, Smithers says "45 seconds", then Mister Burns asks him What their time is so far, then Smithers says "I don't know sir, this stop watch only goes to 15 minutes". That one always cracks me up. There's lots of other great lines in that episode

"King of the Hill" revolves around Homer actually getting in shape after a bunch of kids egg him(literally) at a local park. He then starts eating "Powersauce" bars and then takes on a challenge to climb the "Murderhorn", the tallest mountain in Springfield... seriously, mountains of this size IN Springfield? Anyways it's a great episode, written by the always amazing John Swartzwelder, who's always been my favorite writer on the Simpsons.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2802
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2515 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
I love Mr. Burns parting words at the end of The King of the Hill. "Once you've been through something like that with another person, you never want to see that person again."

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2378
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2516 on: April 20, 2018, 07:40:20 PM »
"Stay back...I have powers...POLITICAL POWERS!"

RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 559
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2517 on: April 22, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »
So I've been watching Stargate Universe recently. When it originally aired, I was put off by how different it was from the previous 2 Stargate series. But watching it with a fresh perspective, I realize it was actually a pretty damn good show. It's a real shame it was cancelled after only 2 seasons.

Also, I had been binge watching Once Upon a Time, and I kept thinking "Where have I seen the actor playing Rumpelstiltskin / Mr Gold before?" Well, he's Robert Carlyle, and he played Doctor Rush in SGU. Apparently he's always the best character in anything he's in.     

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #2518 on: April 23, 2018, 01:07:49 AM »

Fear Itself
This was technically the third season of Showtime's Masters of Horror, moved to NBC and given a name change when Showtime failed to renew. It aired during the summer of 2008. It was put on hiatus for coverage of the Olympics, with NBC announcing on the final episode aired that it would return in the fall. However, when the Olympics ended the time slot was filled with reruns of other NBC programs. None of the remaining episodes aired on NBC. I recalled liking the series and was curious about the episodes that didn't air. And Amazon was offering the DVD complete series set for almost nothing.

The series premise, which was similar to that of Masters of Horror, had 13 film directors known for working in the horror genre pick their own short horror stories to adapt into one hour episodes which they would direct. This was a very similar experiment to Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories, which is why it was incredible that NBC would agree to do the same experiment again.

But unlike Amazing Stories, all but one of the episodes was a dud. Well, not exactly a dud. But one episode was comedic, with a plot about a vet who treats a werewolf.  The rest of the series were all horror. While all but the  one trying to be funny were good horror stories, some episodes stood out as better than the rest. In Eater a  cannibal serial killer being transferred to a prison is left in a police station with a skeleton staff overnight. However, no one realizes that the killer is also a voodoo priest with magic,  who soon takes over the police station with the intention of killing and eating it's one rookie female cop.  New Years Day a girl wakes up with a hangover and no memory of the previous night, only to realize a zombie apocalypse is going on outside. The Sacrifice has a group of outlaws  on the run from the law taking refuge in an old fort after their car breaks down, only to discover it is inhabited by three beautiful girls, and the killer vampire monster they are trying to feed. The Spirit Box has a teenaged Anna Kendrick and her friend using a homemade Ouija board on a Halloween evening, only to summonse the ghost of a murdered classmate who seeks revenge.  in Family Man a husband and father is brought to a hospital after a car accident at the same time a serial killer who was shot by the police was. Both men die on the operating tables and need to be revived. Only the husband ends up in the serial killers body and sent to prison, while the serial killer ends up in his body and going home with his family.

I have seen a lot of other anthology horror series that have attempted to be the next Twilight Zone Many have failed. Tales from the Darkside was doomed from the start by it's budget. The Dark Room started out good, but then ran out of good ideas quickly. Even the 80s revival of The Twilight Zone only had a couple of good episode. And Freddy's nightmares was nothing more than a waste of time.  Aside from Tales From The Crypt, this is the only anthology series I have seen that was anywhere as good as Twilight Zone. damn, now I am going to have to see Masters of Horror.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2519 on: April 23, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
Uhg.  I really don't remember the first season of Westworld being so cringy and heavy handed with the dialog.  That plus the addition of an army people sub plot where they are running around with big guns doing big macho army stuff really put me off the first episode of the second season.  Hopefully it gets a little better, to a point where it's watchable.