login

Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 274404 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2293
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2445 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »
Up to season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, it does seem to have lost something this season, still enjoyable but not as funny.  Also, too much or too many background characters and stuff going on that doesn't really have anything to do with Kimmy.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4395
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2446 on: February 04, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »
I still enjoy the show quite a bit.  For me, it tends to falter heavily when it decides to mock "political correctness" and the fact that implies that a newly introduced character who is set up to be important in season four who has Asperger's doesn't bode well for that improving.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1240
« Reply #2447 on: February 04, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
Personally I think latter 2/3rds of the 3rd season of Kimmy is some of the best television in history.  It's funny, but I think the amazing job that the lighting department did deserves some high praise.  I like how you can't see any power cables run through shot, and the lights are all focused correctly on the actors, and how obviously all the other departments were provided with enough power in a timely fashion in order to do their jobs quickly and efficiently. 

My employment in the lighting department of the latter 2/3rds of the 3rd season of Kimmy has nothing to do with the opinion stated above.  Any and all correlations are but mere coincidences.

Though my name does appear in the credits.  Coincidentally, of course.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2365
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2448 on: February 04, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »
It's been awhile since I've watched through Kimmie Schmidt. I feel like it was hurt by scheduling a lot toward the end, like when they had to write around David Cross not being available. It reminded me of the Netflix season of Arrested Development that way, when you were craving more interaction between the characters, and it just wasn't there.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2307
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2449 on: February 04, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
I agree that the take-on-PC episodes really stink.

But I also think Jacqueline completely stops working after the first season and a bit. I don't think they knew where the show was going to go and they really failed to make her work after that.

I think we didn't even finish the third season yet.
FINE

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 77
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #2450 on: February 07, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »
Fawlty Towers

Well, I've seen it before, but I'm just getting something different out of it this time because it's fun to take a classic like this and really break it apart. I've realized just how influential that show was over there because of HOW MANY Britcoms I've seen made afterwards that feature a protagonist who's an irredeemable jerk whose dickishness always blows up in his face.

The important thing, too, is they always have about a dozen opportunities to back out or just shut up and listen for a second, and they always choose to escalate it. And their misunderstandings always come about because they assume the worst intentions about the other person (today we'd call that projecting ^_^).

It's kinda hard to watch him be so abusive to poor Manuel, though, that's something that didn't age well.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 191
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2451 on: February 08, 2018, 02:26:26 AM »
Ahh, for some reason that never bothered me. I think I can safely say Fawlty Towers was the BEST show ever... to have 12 episodes.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2452 on: February 09, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
Fawlty Towers

Well, I've seen it before, but I'm just getting something different out of it this time because it's fun to take a classic like this and really break it apart. I've realized just how influential that show was over there because of HOW MANY Britcoms I've seen made afterwards that feature a protagonist who's an irredeemable jerk whose dickishness always blows up in his face.

The important thing, too, is they always have about a dozen opportunities to back out or just shut up and listen for a second, and they always choose to escalate it. And their misunderstandings always come about because they assume the worst intentions about the other person (today we'd call that projecting ^_^).

It's kinda hard to watch him be so abusive to poor Manuel, though, that's something that didn't age well.

Have you seen Clockwise?  I only heard about it recently.  If you liked Fawlty towers then I think you'll enjoy it, as it's more John Cleese being quite funny. 

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2453 on: February 09, 2018, 10:43:16 PM »
I was watching The Critic not too long ago. One things for sure... it doesn't stink.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2454 on: February 12, 2018, 05:17:57 PM »
We just finished The End Of the Fucking World on Netflix.  What a great show.  A very dark comedy that is written, acted, and directed beautifully.  Been a while since I've seen a truly successful dark comedy, but this one worked on so many levels.  That's probably because it moves past dark humor and creates characters with real emotions and feelings. 

I highly recommend it.  The two main actors are cute as fuck, but also do a great job of acting the emotions they aren't saying. 

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2455 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
Duck Tales - Watched an episode called "The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks"... now that was pretty funny. Seriously, go check it out ASAP.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 77
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #2456 on: February 14, 2018, 02:53:00 AM »
Yeah, The Critic was excellent. Robbed The Simpsons of two of its finest writers in the show's prime >_<, but still a very good show. ^_^

I don't know why Jon Lovitz isn't doing voice roles, he was really good at that. Disney talent-poached half the Simpsons animators and directors, why not one of its favorite recurring guest stars, too? ^_^
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2293
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2457 on: February 17, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »
Finished season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.   Last few episodes got better and I enjoyed them.  Once they dumped that family that owned the redskins the show got back to more enjoyable, nothing they tried to do with those people seemed to work as comedy or satire.   Well it was satire, just not funny or ironic or smart, basically missing the stuff needed to make satire worth watching.  Maybe at the end they found a way to make Jacqueline's character work again, guess we will see in May when season 4 drops.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2458 on: February 17, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
I'm watching some Futurama and... I'm laughing but I'm also thinking about Anais.Butterfly again. She was a big fan of Futurama, she even had a cat named Leela. Losing a good friend who shared some of the same interests really sucks. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to get over losing her.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:13:23 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2307
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2459 on: February 18, 2018, 12:27:55 AM »
Finished season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.   Last few episodes got better and I enjoyed them.  Once they dumped that family that owned the redskins the show got back to more enjoyable, nothing they tried to do with those people seemed to work as comedy or satire.   Well it was satire, just not funny or ironic or smart, basically missing the stuff needed to make satire worth watching.  Maybe at the end they found a way to make Jacqueline's character work again, guess we will see in May when season 4 drops.

Glad to hear it improved, and that storyline goes away, maybe I'll go back and finish out the season.
FINE