Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 344648 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6257
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #3060 on: January 16, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
I tried another episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I went for the one with the werewolf. That was a pretty pathetic werewolf, even by low budget 70s TV standards, yeesh! Darren McGavin is still fun. And this does a pretty good job of making the side characters interesting. Particularly Paula, who is smarter than you'd think given how she's introduced (and she looks like a 70s Peg Bundy). Especially when Kolchak tries to outsmart her and she sees through it immediately. I didn't expect a romance or anything, but I was surprised she's just dropped from the episode after a while. I figured she would turn out to be a reporter too or something. I also liked the ship's captain who was having none of Kolchak's crap and going by the book. There was also a fun Assistant Porter who was constantly doing side deals. But this suffers from there being no mystery. We know who the werewolf is early on, and it's just a waiting game for Kolchak to catch up. The guy who is a the werewolf is clearly distressed by his situation, but he's not sympathetic. And he doesn't have any motives for his werewolf rampages other than "Welp, grew some hair, gotta murder I guess!"

So far I'm not that impressed. Are these two pretty emblematic of the series? Which one is considered the best episode?

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #3061 on: January 17, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »
Which one is considered the best episode?

According to Ratingraph.com (a website that graphs out IMDb scores for tv shows & movie franchises), episode 11 is by far the best episode. Never seen the series, so I can't say for myself, but Ratingraph has usually been very reliable for me. I was looking for some solid Dick Van Dyke Show episodes a few months ago and picked the highest ones. They were pretty much beginning-to-end funny.

Here's the link for Kolchak:
https://www.ratingraph.com/tv_shows/kolchak_the_night_stalker-35879/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:19:32 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3062 on: January 17, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »

According to Ratingraph.com (a website that graphs out IMDb scores for tv shows & movie franchises), episode 11 is by far the best episode. Never seen the series, so I can't say for myself, but Ratingraph has usually been very reliable for me. I was looking for some solid Dick Van Dyke Show episodes a few months ago and picked the highest ones. They were pretty much beginning-to-end funny.

Thank you. That is helpful.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2917
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3063 on: January 17, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »
I loved Kolchak as a kid watching it in the 70s but trying to go back and watch it as an adult it just never pulled me back in.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3064 on: January 17, 2020, 08:17:14 PM »

Thank you. That is helpful.
I watched that episode. It's the one with a creature killing people that can make itself look like someone the victim trusts. Meaning it's just other people most of the episode and we only get one look at the creature at the very end. Still an interesting episode, but underwhelming.
I think I may watch a few more that have interesting premises. But I'm not exactly going to be binging the whole season.
I can see why it's remembered, and why it was influential on other shows, especially X-Files. But just because it came first doesn't mean it's the best.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3065 on: January 22, 2020, 08:36:34 PM »
Ripping Yarns episode 2: The Testing Of Eric Olthwaite - Thank you Johnny Unusual for mentioning this series, I had never heard of it. This episode was very funny. The plot almost felt like something they might have done as a short in Monty Python, but stretched out to half an hour. But it didn't suffer from being stretched out, it just let them pursue the idea fully of a boring person accidentally living an exciting life. The only part that was a little confusing was the mayor getting shot and then suddenly he likes Eric.

"Do you remember what your Uncle Arthur said just before he died?"
"Auuuughhhh."   ;D

Medieval Life episode 1: The Peasant - This was a recommendation by Omega (Diamanda Hagan's wife) on twitter. It was quite good. Not an outright comedy like Ripping Yarns, more entertainingly educational. It's about how feudal life for various people really was, to how we think it was like. tl;dr it wasn't as bad as we think, but it still sucked.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 850
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #3066 on: January 23, 2020, 02:05:28 AM »
Star Trek: Picard - Good start!! Captured my interest and despite a few missteps left me wanting more. The show continues events from Star Trek Nemesis and Star Trek 2009. There’s some good ideas here executed at least fairly well. I think I may just have to keep my CBS all access subscription just to watch the show.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3067 on: January 25, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
I've watched a few more episodes of Ripping Yarns and it is very hit or miss. So far nothing nearly as funny as the first episode.

Whereas I am almost through all 8 available Medieval Lives episodes and they are all a lot of fun.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3068 on: January 25, 2020, 05:37:34 PM »
My friend Kat told me about Gravity Falls... damn I need to watch that sometime.

Anyway, I started watching Why Women Kill on CBS all access and... I like it so far. It focuses on three different women living in three different time periods, 1965, 1982 and 2019. Ginnifer Goodwin plays Beth Ann Stanton, a neglected housewife. Hmmm, there's something very familiar about all this. Anyway, holy hot damn is Ginnifer Goodwin hot!! I get very pissed whenever I see a housewife or a woman otherwise being neglected by her partner/significant other. I mean... FFS she's good enough to be your wife or GF why can't you show a little interest in her??? See, I myself have never been in a serious relationship so I would feel like I was on cloud 9 if I had a GF/partner/wife. I mean goddamn isn't that what you married her for? I'm sorry, I think I'm getting too caught up in the drama.

Lucy Liu still looks AMAZING at 50. Dressing her up in those 1980's fashions might have something to do with it...

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 346
« Reply #3069 on: January 25, 2020, 08:38:08 PM »
Joe Pera Talks To You, Season 2
So saccharin sweet and sentimental at times that it's something if done wrong I would probably hate. But what hooks me is that it's authentic in it's Midwesterness and avoids the "Bears fans hate Packers fans" crap that Hollywood thinks is all the Midwest is about.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5881
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3070 on: January 26, 2020, 12:20:23 PM »
Picard

Watched the first episode with friends last night and this is a very promising start to the series.  Patrick Stewart remains charismatic and magnetic as always.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 190
« Reply #3071 on: January 26, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »
Kolchak: The Night Stalker - I've finally got around to trying this series, after hearing so many good things about it. So far I've just watched the first episode about Jack The Ripper. Darren McGavin is fun as Kolchak. But the rest of it...ehhh. The villain is just a guy killing people, and despite giving him inexplicable immortality and superhuman abilities he's still not very interesting. We learn nothing about him, and there's absolutely no explanation for who he is, why he's immortal with superhuman strength, why he has a weakness to electricity, why he's killing women, why specifically five women, and why he removes parts of their bodies. Kolchak's occasional narration is so sporadic and brief that it's pretty pointless. Worst of all, being a cheap 70s TV show it looks like shit even in the daylight scenes, and looks like hammered shit in the night scenes. The fights with the Ripper are very difficult to make out. Which I'm afraid is going to be an even bigger problem when we get to the actual interesting monsters like werewolves and mummies and such.
As it is I thought it was just okay, but being the first episode I'm hoping it improves greatly to justify it's classic status.

I tried another episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I went for the one with the werewolf. That was a pretty pathetic werewolf, even by low budget 70s TV standards, yeesh! Darren McGavin is still fun. And this does a pretty good job of making the side characters interesting. Particularly Paula, who is smarter than you'd think given how she's introduced (and she looks like a 70s Peg Bundy). Especially when Kolchak tries to outsmart her and she sees through it immediately. I didn't expect a romance or anything, but I was surprised she's just dropped from the episode after a while. I figured she would turn out to be a reporter too or something. I also liked the ship's captain who was having none of Kolchak's crap and going by the book. There was also a fun Assistant Porter who was constantly doing side deals. But this suffers from there being no mystery. We know who the werewolf is early on, and it's just a waiting game for Kolchak to catch up. The guy who is a the werewolf is clearly distressed by his situation, but he's not sympathetic. And he doesn't have any motives for his werewolf rampages other than "Welp, grew some hair, gotta murder I guess!"

So far I'm not that impressed. Are these two pretty emblematic of the series? Which one is considered the best episode?

Kolchak: The Night Stalker was one of my all time favorite television series, although I admit the last time I watched it was in the 90s, so it most likely dated. It was hit or miss on the monster of the week ( The X Files had the same problem ) and some weeks the monster was very lame. But there were some episodes that were legitimately frightening. ( or at least were scary back when I saw them as a kid ). You have to take into consideration that they were working with a 70s television budget, which effected how the monster costumes looked, had to condense a story to 45 minutes, which left no room for giving monsters motivation, and that CBS standards and practices wouldn't allow them to use half the monsters they wanted, and forced them to tone down some of the episodes. Also, graphic violence was out. Kills on that show usually happened after a freeze frame of a victim. So you had to  relied more on your imagination than what you would see on a typical horror show today. The Jack the Ripper episode was basically a remake of the pilot episode, which had a vampire, and except for the part about the ripper fighting the police, was not as good as the pilot. The series was originally going to be on ABC, and the first two episodes, The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler were both made as ABC movies of the week. They were both basically pilot episodes for a series ABC decided not to pick up, but CBS did. And as such, are not owned by CBS and not included on either the home video releases or as part of the streaming episodes.  You can find the pilot movies separate though.

Aside from the attempts at being a thriller, what made the series great was the Kolchack and his boss Tony Vincenzo. Even on weeks when the monster was something as lame as an Aztec priest, those characters made the show worth watching.  Also, you may want to check and see if you are watching the recently remastered episodes or not. The only reason I have avoided buying the series on home video was because they were still using the prints mastered in the 80s for VHS release, where everything that takes place in the dark is impossible to see aside from bright colors. Recently they did a HD remaster of the film prints where you can see what the characters and monsters are doing during night scenes, and I have that on the queue of television series I want to buy.

Ripping Yarns episode 2: The Testing Of Eric Olthwaite - Thank you Johnny Unusual for mentioning this series, I had never heard of it. This episode was very funny. The plot almost felt like something they might have done as a short in Monty Python, but stretched out to half an hour. But it didn't suffer from being stretched out, it just let them pursue the idea fully of a boring person accidentally living an exciting life. The only part that was a little confusing was the mayor getting shot and then suddenly he likes Eric.

He likes Eric because he realizes his life is dull and boring, and being shot by a notorious gangster has brought some sort of excitement to his life. ( It was Eric's friend who actually shot the mayor. )    The episode was meant to be a comment on celebrity, but has since become a comment on the nerd culture.

I've watched a few more episodes of Ripping Yarns and it is very hit or miss. So far nothing nearly as funny as the first episode.

The first episode was made as a pilot by Palin and Jones in order to get the BBC to commit to a full series. They deliberately made it in the style of Monty Python with similar style humor, Palin and Jones in multiple roles, and it being shot mostly on video in front of an audience. The idea was to make the BBC think the first episode reflected the series, but what they really wanted to do was parody popular children's literature. You really need to have read the books the are parodying in order to fully appreciate the episodes. The Eric Olthwait episode is the odd one out as it was not really a parody of anything, but just an extra idea Palin and Jones had at the time for a possible BBC television movie. The BBC eventually stopped commissioning new episodes due to both the expense and low ratings, so one of the ideas that was never filmed,  a David Copperfield parody called Miles Cowperthwaite, ended up on Saturday Night Live as a skit when Palin hosted.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:28:12 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #3072 on: January 26, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »
Gravity Falls - Just watched the first three episodes and this is a pretty good series so far. I'm also happy to report this is a show that's perfectly okay for the little ones to watch. The tone and voice direction reminds me a lot of the Duck Tales reboot.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5881
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3073 on: January 27, 2020, 04:57:47 AM »
Not too surprising as several people from Gravity Falls moved onto Ducktales.  Don't forget to check out some of the Gravity Falls shorts after you hit the end of season one.  Lots of great gags in that.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3074 on: February 02, 2020, 07:07:42 PM »
I watched the first episode of The Witcher. *siiiiiiighhh* I! JUST! WANT! TO! SEE! HIM! FIGHT! MONSTERS!!!! Is that really too much to ask?! I don't care about the different villages or royal family crap. I certainly don't care about a bunch of villagers so dumb they think fighting a guy they know has superpowers is a good idea! Hell, he doesn't even need superpowers to beat you losers, the dude is huge!