Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 305329 times)

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4230
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2850 on: February 27, 2019, 07:46:07 AM »
My favorite is when they add unnecessary extra notes.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5531
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2851 on: February 27, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »
Just once I'd like to see someone sing the national anthem at normal speed. Without extending EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN SYLLABLE! The longer you can hold a note doesn't mean you have more patriotism.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2525
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2852 on: February 27, 2019, 09:16:50 AM »
Just once I'd like to see someone sing the national anthem at normal speed. Without extending EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN SYLLABLE! The longer you can hold a note doesn't mean you have more patriotism.

Most people don't know there are 4 verses to that song, I've never heard or even seen sheet music for the entire thing, but have seen the lyrics.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6748
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2853 on: February 27, 2019, 10:35:36 AM »

Most people don't know there are 4 verses to that song, I've never heard or even seen sheet music for the entire thing, but have seen the lyrics.

it's not just america, fuck yeah! for three hours?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 425
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2854 on: February 27, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
Please tell me Michael Bolton's stopping mid-anthem to check the lyrics written on his hand is in that collection.
Unfortunately no, the closest they got to that was when they were commenting on the time when Kenny G played a single note for something like an hour.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2855 on: February 28, 2019, 06:46:12 AM »
Started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel last night.

I'm 3 episodes in and what a great show.  It deserves all the awards it's been winning.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4894
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2856 on: March 02, 2019, 06:15:06 AM »
Started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel last night.

I'm 3 episodes in and what a great show.  It deserves all the awards it's been winning.

Yeah, me and my family watched it over Christmas.  A few small hiccups aside that don't get in the way of the actual show, I feel like it's one of the better portrayals of stand up on TV and certainly in movies (where they rarely seem to get it right).  Alex Borstein is an unexpected delight and this might be Tony Shaloub's best role and that's saying a lot.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 425
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2857 on: March 02, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »
For me, Tony Shaloub's best role will in 99% likelihood always be Adrian Monk.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2858 on: March 12, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
After Life the Ricky Gervais show on Netflix.

Hard to describe the show, it's sort of funny at times, very dark at times, very touching drama at times....  Not sure there is a proper catagory that it fits into, maybe dark dramedy?

I almost stopped watching it a few times, but ended up watching all the episodes.

Guess the best thing I can say is by the time it was all over I found it an interesting exploration of depression, suicide, coping with grief, etc, that is sprinkled with comic bits.

Doubt I'll ever re-watch series 1 it but might watch season 2 if they do onejust to see where it goes from here.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2859 on: March 17, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
Turn Up Charlie

Why does this show have such bad reviews?  Sure the writing is not all that original but the acting is great.  Do people simply not like Idris Elba doing a comedy?  He and the kid are awesome, rest of the cast does a good job as well.

Looking at Rotten Tomatoes this is one show where the audience score is correct and the critics score is completely wrong.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2860 on: March 22, 2019, 07:56:23 AM »
One Mississippi

Watched all 12 episodes last night.  Amazon has cancelled it so that's all of them.

I was expecting more comedy than drama but I found it pretty much pure drama, it's got odd characters and people dealing with terrible events in their lives.  I guess you could say there was comedy in it, just not the kind you laugh at, more the kind that keeps the drama from turning depressing even though there is a lot of really depressing stuff happening.

The show is all real stuff that happens to people and if you know about Tig's life a lot of the stuff actually happened to her, so that adds a layer of strangeness while watching, it's fiction but not fiction at the same time.

You would think while Amazon was cleaning house after it's own scandals that this show would be one they would keep, but it seems they are switching to the current Netflix model of TV, churn is what they think brings in new subscribers, keep making new shows and dump them after 2 or 3 seasons to make way for another new show.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6748
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2861 on: March 22, 2019, 08:10:56 AM »
the shazaam trailers got me feeling nostalgic, so i've been doing a re-watch of chuck. sometimes these will-they-won't-they things are painful when doing a binge. also, as with firefly, frustrating to have adam baldwin do such a good job in a role.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4894
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2862 on: March 23, 2019, 05:01:35 AM »
Been watching Comedians of the World, and I feel like its more misses than hits.  The premise is that each section on Netflix has comedians from one country (except it also breaks Canada into Francophone and Anglophones), each doing a half-hour special.  There are some good ones.  The ones I liked were DeAnne Smith, Mae Martin, Nish Kumar (though his stories could probably have fewer personal details.  I'm not talking TMI so much as "I like hearing about parts of your life that don't add to the actual jokes but maybe do some pruning), and Nazeem Hussain.  A lot of the other comedians aren't bad but don't hit me the way I want.  But there are a few that are pretty weak (Most of the US acts though Neal Brennan has some great jokes, K. Trevor Wilson).  So, yeah, it is a mixed bag.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5531
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2863 on: March 23, 2019, 06:22:39 PM »
I am finally giving Red Dwarf a chance. I'm two episodes in so far and enjoying it a lot already.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2973
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2864 on: March 24, 2019, 12:15:36 AM »
Just rewatched Amazon's The Tick in anticipation of the new season in a couple weeks. It holds up well to repeated viewings. What I really like is that this version has legitimate stakes and character growth. Where the other Tick series have been content to just let the silliness be its own reward, Amazon's Tick gives Arthur a legitimately tragic backstory that drives him throughout the show, while at the same time making sure there's a talking dog or miniaturized scientist in a robot suit around to keep things nicely surrealistic.