Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 325796 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2610 on: July 19, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
Just watched the classic Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters are due on Maple Street". I've said this before, but It's just incredible how well this show has aged. Regardless of how the special effects hold up, the stories are still meaningful today because they all pack a very powerful dramatic wallop. Doesn't matter if it's 1959 or 2018... and that's just amazing.

Some of them age better than others, but that one in particular is amazing in any year.
I ADORE that one. I think I had it as my number one when we did our Top 50. It has so much to say about mob mentality and paranoia. I love that all the aliens had to do was mess with the lights and let human nature do the rest.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2611 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
Finished Sapphire And Steel. 

Enjoyed it.  There was a bit too much of the bickering old ladies in the 2nd to last assignment, but it was very interesting. 

What a cliffhanger to end on.  Just looked up the reasons for it being cancelled, sounds like the same reason Star Trek was cancelled, studio just didn't want to spend any more money even if the ratings were not bad.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5182
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2612 on: July 23, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
Well, at least another part was that the main actors weren't particularly interested in returning, either.  Shame, it's a great cliffhanger tied into an element of the mythology that is in every opening but is never addressed until that last story.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2613 on: July 23, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »
Well, at least another part was that the main actors weren't particularly interested in returning, either.  Shame, it's a great cliffhanger tied into an element of the mythology that is in every opening but is never addressed until that last story.

Ah, so no one wanted to continue it then.

I wonder if it was the same reason Leonard Nimoy quit Mission Impossible, as an actor it got boring doing his character, there was no character development or change, just show up and do what ever accent or disguise was needed that week.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2614 on: July 23, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
Could be it.  Which is a shame, because I really like those characters.  It could also be that they liked the show well enough but there were other things they were more interested in doing.

BTW, finished season 3 of Last Man on Earth. Fantastic.  Now waiting for it's last season to appear on Netflix.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2615 on: July 23, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
My parents and I started watching The Great British Bake Off over the weekend while they were visiting. I really like it. Particularly in how overall positive it is, rather than the accentuation of the negative you see in similar American competition shows.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #2616 on: July 25, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
Trailer Park Boys
I knew next to nothing about this show other than the name and the name was always a big turnoff because I thought it was probably a show making fun of Southerners and "you might be a redneck" comedy is not my idea of funny. I had no idea it was Canadian.
Have made it through the first 2 seasons so far. I had kind of mixed feeling about Season 1-dragged in parts and bordered too much on drama at times- but I thought Season 2 was hilarious.   

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2617 on: July 25, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
Trailer Park Boys continued
LOL at episode 1 of season 3.
Donairs are the most Canadian thing they've referenced yet (even more Canadian then eating sticks of pepperoni and chicken flavored chips). And if you've never had one, donairs are great if you're drunk and it's 2 AM but are disgusting if you're sober.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3895
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2618 on: July 25, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
Trailer Park Boys
I knew next to nothing about this show other than the name and the name was always a big turnoff because I thought it was probably a show making fun of Southerners and "you might be a redneck" comedy is not my idea of funny. I had no idea it was Canadian.

From Nova Scotia.. Not far from where I have relatives there in fact :o

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2619 on: July 25, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
I got to see some of the actors (not the three main guys by Randy, Lahey and two of the wives) live during a film festival while I was in University.  They were a delight.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2620 on: July 25, 2018, 05:52:51 PM »
Trailer Park Boys

From Nova Scotia.. Not far from where I have relatives there in fact :o
I've been to Halifax / Nova Scotia at least a half dozen times. One of my favorite vacation spots and I'd love to live there if I thought for a second I could ever afford to live there- taxes and just the cost of everything including groceries are ridiculously high. (The show takes place in Dartmouth across the bay from Halifax- love Halifax and have been to the far north and far south of Nova Scotia, but never spent any time in Dartmouth or in any trailer parks).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:54:41 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2621 on: July 25, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »
Season 3, Episode 5
Rush tickets.. ha ha ha...most Canadian episode yet....despite not ever living in Canada, I did see Rush 3 times...last time was over 25 years ago.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2622 on: July 29, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
Trailer Park Boys- Continued
Still healing from an injury and have been binge watching. Made it through the first 7 seasons, the first 3 movies, Season 8, and the first episode of Season 9.
Seasons 3 and 4 probably my favorites. Specials and movies kind of hit and miss- funny, but could probably be skipped. After Seasons 5, 6, and 7, I thought the show was still funny but becoming a bit repetitive.
Was expecting a big let down with Season 8 seeing as how it came a number of years after the end of Season 7. Corey coming back was a big step up from Season 7 and I enjoyed Season 8 despite it still being a kind of repeat of Season 5, 6, and 7. Season 9 starting out in kind of a different direction (and I get why they probably didn't want to do that with Season 8)  so I'm enjoying it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:11:13 PM by wihogfan »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2623 on: July 29, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
Watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine with a friend who hasn't seen it yet.  I was a little worried he wouldn't be as into it after watching the much more ambitious comedies like The Good Place and Last Man on Earth, but he was presently surprised and happy with it being something a lot more simple while still being pretty sweetly funny.  Andre Braugher is so great.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2624 on: July 31, 2018, 06:00:22 PM »
Trailer Park Boys continues again
Enjoyed Season 9 a lot and the first half of Season 10, but the D-list celebrity extended cameos from the 2nd half of Season 10 nearly made me give up. Season 11 got back on track.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)