Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 219168 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2220 on: September 03, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
Watched season 1 of Broadchurch yesterday during the rain storm.

Then after the first episode of season 2 I jumped to the internet for spoilers, I guessed they would spend the entire season on the trial and that is the case. 

It's well made and well acted, but moves so slowly, I got sucked into the who done it mystery that kept me watching episodes the first season, but I really wanted it to be over faster.  They tossed so many suspects into the mix it got annoying at times.

So many unlikable characters, and no truely likable ones, only a few you feel sympathy for.  After looking at the spoilers there's probably a few key episodes I'll watch in season 2 and then be done with it.  Season 3 looks to be all about rape so I won't be watching that.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #2221 on: September 04, 2017, 01:21:00 AM »
Season 2 is really different with it's parallel stories. The Trial, and cleaning up the case that Tennant fucked up.  But again all the characters are nasty and I didn't really enjoy it so much. Season 3 is much more focused like season 1. Much more focused, but yeah it is a Rape rather than Murder case for season 3.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2222 on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »
But again all the characters are nasty and I didn't really enjoy it so much.

Yeah, almost all the characters fall into 2 categories: criminal self centered or non-criminal self centered....

I did watch each episode of season 2 but fast forwarded quite a bit, so got all the plot points needed for the final episode.

Watching this does make me even more concerned for Dr. Who with this show runner, there isn't even a hint of humor in Broadchurch, Dr. Who has to have a lot of humor in it.

And for something lighter I started watching the Netflix series Dragons Race To The Edge, I liked the movies but just never got around to watching this.  It might be better than the movies, half hour episodes not bogged down by needing to fill all the time of a movie.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2223 on: September 08, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
Season 4 of Broad City on Comedy Central starts next week so I started binged watching the third season.  Definitely one of the funniest shows on cable.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2224 on: September 08, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
Season 4 of Broad City on Comedy Central starts next week so I started binged watching the third season.  Definitely one of the funniest shows on cable.

Had the pleasure of working on that show for a couple weeks this season. Had a good time.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2225 on: September 16, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
Watching STRANGER THINGS again in prep for the new season. I forgot how quickly the characters feel so real and likeable.

Online Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
« Reply #2226 on: September 16, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
Been watching more Doctor Who recently. Was on season 6 a few nights ago and since I've been going back and forth through seasons 3, 4 and now I'm watching the end of 5.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #2227 on: September 17, 2017, 02:27:25 AM »
I binge watched all 9 seasons of The Office recently, while working on my massive 70+ Rifftrax reauthoring project.  The first 3 seasons are pretty good.  The 4th starts to drag (although the dinner party episode is one of the best of the series).  5th, 6th, and 7th decline slowly.  The 8th season is unwatchably bad. 

That subplot with Kathy the temp was the worst.  Why did they hire another temp when they already had Ryan?  Why did they keep that temp around even when the person she was covering for returned from maternity leave?  Why did they send a temp on an important business trip?  Why were we supposed to believe for even a second that Jim was ever going to cheat on Pam, after pining for her for so long?  It was such a contrived conflict that you could predict from the get go.

The 9th season picked up, perhaps because you knew it wouldn't drag out much longer.  I did like the reveal of the documentary crew and everyone's reaction to the pending release of the documentary.  It shows that, for once, this mockumentary format is being used to make a documentary in some fictional universe, instead of just a lazy film making technique.  The finale was great, and had me pretty choked up at times.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2228 on: September 17, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »
I binge watched all 9 seasons of The Office recently, while working on my massive 70+ Rifftrax reauthoring project.  The first 3 seasons are pretty good.  The 4th starts to drag (although the dinner party episode is one of the best of the series).  5th, 6th, and 7th decline slowly.  The 8th season is unwatchably bad. 

That subplot with Kathy the temp was the worst.  Why did they hire another temp when they already had Ryan?  Why did they keep that temp around even when the person she was covering for returned from maternity leave?  Why did they send a temp on an important business trip?  Why were we supposed to believe for even a second that Jim was ever going to cheat on Pam, after pining for her for so long?  It was such a contrived conflict that you could predict from the get go.

The 9th season picked up, perhaps because you knew it wouldn't drag out much longer.  I did like the reveal of the documentary crew and everyone's reaction to the pending release of the documentary.  It shows that, for once, this mockumentary format is being used to make a documentary in some fictional universe, instead of just a lazy film making technique.  The finale was great, and had me pretty choked up at times.

I'm looking forward to the mini series they are making, catching up with the characters. 

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2229 on: September 18, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »
I was pretty underwhelmed with The Strain series finale but the rest of the season was one of its best.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #2230 on: September 18, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
A friend and me are finally getting into Bojack Horseman.  It's starting to get into the heavier stuff that garnered all the critical acclaim but I'm not going to lie, even the straightforward comedy of the first few episodes has been working for me.  Helps that they have a killer voice cast like Patton Oswalt, JK Simmons and PFT.  Looking forward to seeing it evolve into the show that's become a critical darling because even at this stage I'm having a great time.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2231 on: September 21, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »
Finally got around to watching the new and final season of Samurai Jack, it was pretty awesome.
The way it's done with each episode leading into the next it's basically a three and a half hour movie when you watch all 10 episodes in a row.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #2232 on: September 21, 2017, 08:00:07 AM »
Yeah, it was a pretty good final season, especially the first half.  I also think they did a pretty good job in resolving one of the key dilemmas of the show's premise in a satisfying, if tragic, way.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2233 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »
Yeah, it was a pretty good final season, especially the first half.  I also think they did a pretty good job in resolving one of the key dilemmas of the show's premise in a satisfying, if tragic, way.

There was no way to avoid tragedy, there were only choices between various levels of tragedy.  Making choices was a major theme in the season.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
« Reply #2234 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:04 AM »
Just watched some of season 8 of Doctor Who, specifically "Deep Breath", "Into The Dalek" and "Robots of Sherwood".