Author Topic: GRAYSKULL: THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE  (Read 6785 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: GRAYSKULL: THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 07:14:22 AM »
I don't know about that.  I can't imagine MOTU with downplayed magic.  Skeletor's gotta be rolling in the black magic.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 07:20:03 AM »
Yeah, that is part of the premise.  A regular guy is magically transformed into the most powerful man in the universe.  I personally would like to see some magicpunk type stuff.  Technology that runs on magic!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
Yeah anything associated with this:

Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said "By the power of Grayskull, I have the power!"

Is going to have a hard time downplaying the magic and still being recognizably the same fictional universe.

I think Swipes is right techno-magical devices would be cool.

And maybe the occasional positive affirmation from Skeletor...

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
A PHANTOM EXCLUSIVE: Jeff Wadlow Will Direct MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Writer Shares Origin Of Eternia & Castle Grayskull

SHADOWLAND MAGAZINE: When Mattel initially hired you to write the original four Masters of the Universe mini-comics how much of the story and characters had already been fleshed out? Did Mattel already have a structured outline, an early concept to expand upon, or was much of the story left to your imagination?

DONALD F. GLUT:
I wasn't hired by Mattel per se, but by Western Publishing Company. Western, at the time, was publishing a lot of licensed books, comics, etc. owned by various movie, TV and toy companies. My main editor at Western offered me the gig. He showed me a set of about a half dozen Polaroid photos from Mattel, showing prototypes of various characters and also the castle, most of which were, at the time, unnamed. I recall He-Man and Man-at-Arms - and possibly Beast Man already having names, but not much else. Mattel sent notes to Western describing what the toys did. But the names of the other characters, the universe they existed in, their origins and powers, etc. were pretty much left up to me. And I was instructed to include in the stories how the toys and their accessories (like swords) functioned.

SM: Were you responsible for coming up with the names of Eternia, Castle Grayskull, and He-Man's Power Sword?

DFG:
Yes, all three. The name Eternia was inspired by the title of the movie Fantasia To my thinking it seemed to fit because the mixing of the primitive and futuristic - swords and fantastic vehicles, for example -suggested to me an "eternal" or timeless universe. Castle Grayskull I named after my then-wife's maiden name, Gray. I named the Power Sword after the Power Stone, a recurring plot device from some of the earliest Superman comic-book stories.

E-mail interviews with Donald F. Glut, writer of the original four Masters of the Universe mini-comics
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:31:37 PM by Henry88 »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Scribe to Pen ‘Masters of the Universe’ for Sony (EXCLUSIVE)
Quote from: Justin Kroll
After helping shape the world of Asgard, “Thor” scribe Christopher Yost is now ready to head to Eternia to help He-Man return to the bigscreen.

Sony Pictures and Escape Artists have tapped Yost to do a rewrite on its reboot of “Masters of the Universe.”

Terry Rossio and Jeff Wadlow wrote previous drafts of “Masters of the Universe,” which is being produced by Escape Artists principals Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch.

Set on the planet of Eternia, the story follows a warrior named Prince Adam who has the power to transform into the heroic He-Man. His nemesis is a villain named Skeletor who seeks to conquer a fortress known as Castle Grayskull in order to learn the secrets held within.

Filmation/Mattel’s “He Man and the Masters of the Universe” cartoon ran from 1983-85 and spawned a movie starring Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella that subsequently became a cult hit.

Yost cut his teeth in the Marvel writing room on a number of animated properties before contributing to the first “Thor” film and providing a polish on the script for “Thor: the Dark World.” Marvel was so impressed with his work on the first two films in the franchise that they tapped him to co-write the upcoming “Thor: Ragnarok” with Craig Kyle.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:29:29 AM »

Filmation/Mattel’s “He Man and the Masters of the Universe” cartoon ran from 1983-85

It only was on for 3 years?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »

Filmation/Mattel’s “He Man and the Masters of the Universe” cartoon ran from 1983-85

It only was on for 3 years?

It seems longer because they produced an insane number of episodes for two seasons (producing them straight into syndication) and once they stopped producing new He-Man they immediately went into production on She-Ra Princess of Power, pairing those new episodes with re-runs of He-Man.

gum.co/RFTthing

soguru

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 07:56:04 PM »
Part of the Charm of... Transformers, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Jem, what have you is that it has a certain feel to it that comes with being something as a product of its decade. I'm thinking that things just can't be the way they used to be in the way that we loved so much. There was a certain, dare I say... cheesy appeal? But it was a genuine feeling dammit, it made us happy and it made us giddy as hell. Even the 87 Masters of the universe movie really wasn't that bad if a bit uneven. It's just weird to think Tom Paris was in that movie, along with Ivan Drago and future Perry White.

soguru

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 12:17:45 AM »
Then again I could just be full of shit too.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 12:28:13 AM »
I think the cartoon is probably awful but I loved it as a kid, the box-art for the toys is spectacular though imo
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 04:20:25 AM »
The cartoon was cheaply made, which usually made it look bad (except for certain parts of "The Price of Power" which was actually beautifully animated for its time), but it had a lot of potential boiling just under the surface, especially from the writing staff. When I bought the box sets way back in the day I was surprised how often I recognized the names of the writers, especially when Paul Dini started coming up.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »
Well it didn't fit anywhere else...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 01:32:05 PM »
Wow that is one effeminate Prince Adam.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
I don't recall prince adam inflating.

soguru

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
I don't recall prince adam inflating.
Maybe it's a metaphorical representation of his ego?