Author Topic: Emulation favorites?  (Read 8386 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Emulation favorites?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 11:06:58 PM »
Of course, by definition, PC games cannot be "emulated" on the PC.

Technically they can. Go to Scummvm.com and you'll find a whole emulator devoted to running old Lucasarts adventures for the PC. They need to be emulated because the PC needs to emulate a much older PC. :^)

Offline scottrkrv

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »
Of course, by definition, PC games cannot be "emulated" on the PC.

Technically they can. Go to Scummvm.com and you'll find a whole emulator devoted to running old Lucasarts adventures for the PC. They need to be emulated because the PC needs to emulate a much older PC. :^)

Hmmm... http://www.scummvm.com seems to be an on-line dating service.
I don't think I would trust their opinion even if I was interested in on-line dating... ;)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 11:46:05 PM »
Whoops. Scummvm.org. :^)

Offline scottrkrv

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 12:54:52 AM »
Whoops. Scummvm.org. :^)

heh.
Yeah, that one works...

Offline NOHC

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »
MAME for me.  I like the Hard/Race/Street Drivin' and Hard Drivin' Airborne Atari driving games myself. 

A friend of mine who's dad worked for a video game distributor had his dad get him one of the cockpit Hard Drivin' machines on the cheap as they were going out of popularity...we'd all go over to his place, get plastered and try to drive it.
-Mike-
Insert Something Witty Here

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »
Most of the SNES RPGs, and of course, Super Metroid!

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 11:05:05 PM »
Yes, I thought I would list some of my favorite games I play quite often in various emulators.  Having a very good grasp of the people who post on this forum so far, I expect quite a few lists.  *laugh*

Atari 2600
 Adventure (The epic struggle between animated squares and duck-looking dragons)
I still feel a cold dread when one of those goddamn dragons slides onto the screen (and I've played the game since the original 2600 console).

Berserk  (Loved it.  The "Evil Otto" name was used as a nickname for Dave foley on Newsradio once)
The home version used to screw me up in the arcade; in the home game, the robots can only fire in four directions, while in the arcade, they could fire in the same eight directions you could. Got me killed every time.

Pitfall  (Game had NO end that I could find, wanted to kick David Crane in the nuts for that)
Actually, I've got an old magazine which has a pattern for getting as much of the treasure as possible (hint: each underground screen passes three above-ground screens; it's impossible to get through the whole game above-ground, but you have to know WHERE to head down). Someday I'll get around to typing out the text and putting it online.

Colecovision
 Donkey Kong  (The only home version to look anything REMOTELY like the arcade pre-NES)
Zaxxon  (This was pseudo-3D before all your fancy geometry and expensive cards... BAH!)
Keep in mind that Coleco licensed and manufactured the cartridges of these games for the other consoles, and you better believe they made them look as bad as possible.

Nintendo Entertainment System
 Super Mario Brothers  (Live the exciting, often thrilling plumber's lifestyle)
 Super Mario Brothers 2  (I haven't thrown away so many vegetables since I was a toddler)
One of my favorite cartridges for my Super NES is Super Mario All-Stars, with tweaked and improved versions of all the NES Mario games (including Lost Levels, originally for Game Boy)

Super Nintendo
  Mario Kart  (High performance... er.. medium perf..  er.. some racing.  More Yoshi)

I NEVER played the racing game. Battle Mode all the way for me.  :)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 11:06:58 PM »
NES emulation on the Dreamcast rocks. It's worth picking up a Dreamcast for that alone.

I got an Atari Flashback 2 for Christmas. Looking forward to some Pitfall/River Raid/Adventure old-timey goodness.

Check out Atari Anthology for PS2/XBox. It's pretty boss (and the XBox version apparently offers online play!).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 11:08:52 PM »
I got an Atari Flashback 2 for Christmas. Looking forward to some Pitfall/River Raid/Adventure old-timey goodness.

I got one of those... One day I'll have to buy the kit and convert it to use 2600 Cartridges also.

WOW. I GOTTA find out about this kit. Start talking, you.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 11:14:05 PM »
There's also an Activision Anthology for PS2 which features 45 Atari 2600 games (including several that haven't been on a compilation before, and FOUR that were never released back in the day). Also, it has a really cute interface.  :)

- Conan O'Brien

Offline macleod

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 03:50:58 PM »
Atari games haven't aged too well have they?

If you ever had "Indian Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark," I STILL don't know what the hell you're supposed to do

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3477
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »
Fantastic Dizzy on the Mega Drive.

BEST EVER!
FINE

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 09:35:44 PM »

If you ever had "Indian Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark," I STILL don't know what the hell you're supposed to do

I finished it, back in the day, but it's a crap game. Hardly a yardstick by which to judge the 2600 (which, by the way, had to do everything it did with 128 BYTES of RAM).

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:59 PM »

well to be fair they were just as confusing back then, for the life of me I will never understand E.T. I seriously have no idea how to play that game

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »

Find the Ark of course.  ;D

I finished the game myself, back in the day. I hated the snakes almost as much as Indy did I'm sure. The whip was horrible to control and not nearly long enough to keep those snakes at range as I would have liked.  :P

The parachuting into caves in the sides of the mesa's was pretty darn annoying (and downright silly) as well.