login

Author Topic: Source Audio  (Read 3536 times)

Offline CJBeiting

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Source Audio
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:45 PM »
For how many of the VOD downloadable films has the souce audio (i.e., unriffed) file been released?

I kinda like the option of the colorized film, with or without Rifftrax commentary.  Buying the DVDs gives me this option, but only for the original version of the films.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: Source Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
I think pretty much all of them have it. Perhaps someone who does a lot of their own VOD re-authors can tell us for sure... I've lost track but I think it's pretty safe to say "all of them" - and if any of them don't, it can be added pretty easily.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »
Reefer Madness does not have a source audio file. I don't know if I've mentioned this before.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 97
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
I did a quick check. Here are the following that do not have separate source audio files for rifftrax shorts included with your purchase. I included in parentheses where source audio/video could be found though. I have no idea about the movies because I buy the rifftrax only and I purchased the separate DVDs as a source. As you can see EVERY short has a source audio either provided or that can be found elsewhere. Hope this helps!

A Visit to Santa (http://www.archive.org/details/VisittoS1963)
Act Your Age (http://www.archive.org/details/ActYourA1949)
Are You Popular (http://www.archive.org/details/AreYouPo1947)
Coffeehouse Rendevous (http://www.archive.org/details/CoffeeHo1969)
If Mirrors Could Speak(http://www.archive.org/details/self_image_film)
Lunchroom Manners (http://www.archive.org/details/lunchroom_manners)
One Got Fat (http://www.archive.org/details/OneGotFa1963)
Safety Harm Hides at Home(http://www.archive.org/details/safety_harm_hides)
The Terrible Truth (http://www.archive.org/details/Terrible1951)
Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast? Petaluma Chicken (cath eat breakfast? ||||Petaluma Chicken)

Note: the peatluma chicken one is from two different sources. So this might be the trickiest to work with.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:18:44 PM by Piobman »

Offline CJBeiting

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:55:06 AM »
I think pretty much all of them have it. Perhaps someone who does a lot of their own VOD re-authors can tell us for sure... I've lost track but I think it's pretty safe to say "all of them" - and if any of them don't, it can be added pretty easily.

Well, I checked the "My Files" section of my Rifftrax account, and I don't have source audio files for "Missile to the Moon" or "Plan 9 From Outer Space".  I do have source audio for "Little Shop of Horrors", though.

Are source files available for "Missile" and "Plan 9"?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »
Are the source audio files going the way of the dodo? None of the latest shorts have them.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »
Yeah it's a difficult decision but the added work involved is making it less likely that we'll be doing that from now on. All of the feedback from our new ducking system has been quite positive, and the only reason we started doing the source audio in the first place was because our ducking sucked.

So, if you guys still feel the ducking is bad, then perhaps we can start offering it again.. otherwise, sorry, but we'll probably not be including the source audio for the shorts anymore.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
Bummer. I use them to make sure all the audio tracks are the same levels across the board. I put 10 to a disc and as they are you get wildly different audio levels. But I also know that the re-authorers are not your bread and butter! Oh well....

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »
Yeah it's a difficult decision but the added work involved is making it less likely that we'll be doing that from now on. All of the feedback from our new ducking system has been quite positive, and the only reason we started doing the source audio in the first place was because our ducking sucked.

So, if you guys still feel the ducking is bad, then perhaps we can start offering it again.. otherwise, sorry, but we'll probably not be including the source audio for the shorts anymore.

Here's my take (from another thread):

Ok, I just watched the last three shorts (Back to School, Highway Mania, and Bills of Rights) and I have to say that I'm still not happy with the audio mixing. I was really hoping that enough improvement had been made to save me some time doing my own editing, but I frankly don't notice much of a difference. The ducking is still WAY too significant and the riff audio is a bit low compared to the source audio (esp. for Back to School). Some ducking is great (MST3K did really well), but you guys practically silence the original.

Please continue to provide the source audio (unless I'm the only one complaining; in which case, to hell with me!).

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
 :'(

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:34 PM »
You don't notice a difference compared to... when? If you go back to the earlier shorts you'll notice a vast improvement.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 02:41:21 AM »
I would like to continue to get the source audios as well. Your mixes aren't bad by any means, it's just that mine are better. And like Torso said, keeping the audios consistant is a big deal.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:57:24 AM »
You don't notice a difference compared to... when? If you go back to the earlier shorts you'll notice a vast improvement.

Maybe I just don't remember how bad the old ones were, but I think you are missing the point:

Your mixes aren't bad by any means, it's just that mine are better.

The optimal solution for me would be for you to use less ducking and always have the riff audio at a slightly higher volume than the source (similar to the MST3K mixing). That way I wouldn't need to do the mixing and you wouldn't have to upload the source and riff audio. I could always level out the audio to match the other shorts on my DVDs if the levels were inconsistent. Until that happens I would prefer to mix the audio myself. I understand that it's more work for you, and I would be open to a surcharge for the extra files if necessary.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:31:06 AM by eegah »

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 07:55:18 AM »
I'd just like to chime in and say that I'd appreciate the source audio's too please. I did my own re-authors and I found the ducking system RiffTrax used wasn't adequate for my tastes. And thats the one thing I love about RiffTrax, is that you guys interact with us...listen to us and respond with what we ask for.

I hope you can provided the source audio's again for us re-authorer's.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
Well, Well, Well! Hello Again Stranger! :highfive: