login

Author Topic: Peter Berg's DUNE???  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Peter Berg's DUNE???
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
I dont want RVR II to have to kill himself or anything.....   :-[

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »
im mixed on this.  while i am a fan of the miniseries version i wouldnt mind seeing it done with some big money, but i have a feelling hollywood and big money will ruin it, not to mention im not sure 3 hours is enough time to tell this.  then again if its a success i could someday see the godemperor on screen...
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »
Hmm.  I certainly welcome them to try.  I hope they can do it justice - if it's anything less than the greatest epic of the new decade (I'm assuming it would come out 2010 or later), then it'll certainly be falling short of its source material.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5004
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 03:28:35 AM »
I dont want RVR II to have to kill himself or anything.....   :-[
I'm optamistic on this guy's version.. :-\

The Original David Lynch version from 1984 is all I'm interested in seeing riffed.. 8)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:25 AM »
Well, nobody really screwed up LOTR before.

You haven't seen any of the animated Lord of the Rings movies have you?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 09:01:45 AM »
Maybe they can get the Harkonnens right this time.  Too disgusting in the Lynch version and too upscale in the sci-fi version.  I always pictured them as gangsterish people trying to be aristocrats.

If they give it the same time and money as LOTR it could be done right, I could see it done well in 2 long movies but not less than that.

Kind of disturbing that they mention the environmental aspects, they could pull a The Day The Earth Stood Still on us and it would be horrible, make the Fremen eco-terrorists.... :gouge:

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
Well, there's at least one thing for fans to look forward to: What the hell are the Navigators going to look like this time? Hopefully the trailer will be enough to satisfy my curiosity.

If Hollywood really is completely out of original ideas, aren't there plenty of other books that haven't been adapted twice already yet?

Who am I kidding? I'll see it and I'll probably like it too.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:03 AM »
The book itself was dealt with multiple issues on a bunch of different levels; the bureaucracy of government, interdependency on a single commodity, the troubles of a messiah figure, the age-old problem of fanatic religion(i.e the Butlerian Jihad, and then Paul's Jihad) , the ecological issues of what the Fremen where planning to do with Arrakis, the stagnation of aristocracy.  Its quite a complicated book, and one that doesn't translate very well.  I liked the look and design of David Lynch's Dune, but the story execution was shoddy at best, and even in the extended "Alan Smithee" version, it was still very convoluted.  The Miniseries expanded the story and was able to do the book justice, but they operated on a TV budget, and it very much shows.   Considering that the only movies of note the guy has made so far is The Rundown with The Rock, and Hancock, I'm not exactly optimistic about his chances of adapting the book to do justice to the story, and yet still entertain the average movie-goer.  And let me tell you, the average movie-goer would not like reading Dune.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 12:48:45 AM »
And let me tell you, the average movie-goer would not like reading Dune.

Unfortunatly, that is very true...  I almost gave up on it the first time, all that looking up of new words in the beginning.  You have to read it a couple of times to really appriciate the universe he created. 

Another book of his that I enjoyed was Under Pressure, nothing to do with Dune, it's about a long war between east and west with nuclear subtugs stealing oil.  I read it in the '70s, just looked it up and it was written back in the mid '50s.